ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Built for SCCA Solo Street Touring Roadster (STR).

As of August 25, 2013:

1999 Mazda Miata Sport, 5spd
Manual Steering, Windows, Mirrors, Locks
Type II Torsen LSD
Appearance Package
Removed Trunk Spoiler

949Racing Xida-S Coilovers, 700lb front, 450lb rear
ISC Racing Offset Front Upper Control Arm Bushings
Mazda Competition Engine Mounts
Racing Beat 1.125" Tubular Front Sway Bar
Ruland SP-18-F Two-Piece Clamping Shaft Collar
Racing Beat Reinforcement Blocks
SuperMiata End Links
Removed Strut Bar
Flyin' Miata "Little" Big Brake Kit (Wilwood Powerlite Front Calipers, FM Caliper Brackets, Stainless Lines, Wilwood BP-10 Pads)
Centric Front Rotors
Hawk HPS Rear Brake Pads
949Racing 6UL 15x9 +36, Black (Race)
BFGoodrich g-Force Rival 225/45/15 (Race)
Konig Flatout 15x8 +25, Mag Blue (Street)
Hankook Ventus R-S3 225/45/15 (Street)

Greddy eMange Ultimate
Boomslang Plug-and-Play Harness
AEM Short Ram Intake
Custom Intake Support Bracket
Maxim Works Header
Custom Header Bracket
Custom EGR Block-Off Plate
Custom Cat-back Exhaust w/ Magnaflow Spun Cat and Flowmaster dBx Muffler
Ballistic Evo2 12-Cell Battery
Odyssey Battery Terminal Posts
Custom Battery Bracket

Amsoil MTGQT Manual Transmission & Transaxle Gear Lube 75W-90 (Transmission and Turret)
Amsoil SVGQT Severe Gear 75W-90 (Differential)
ATE Super Blue Brake Fluid

SonicMotor VS3 Racing Seat
Short Shifter (It appears it may be a Cobalt unit)
Mazda Competition Aluminum Shifter Bushing
Pink Bubble Shift Knob

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
had an 04 RX8 for a while, this is the car i had prior to my NB. was my daily and SCCA Solo II autox car (mostly STU, then went to SM for a couple events). eventually i got an 05 xB to daily so this car sat out in front of the house except for weekends and race days. as a college student, i decided that perhaps a miata would be a wiser choice as a race car so i sold it.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
bought my 1999 Mazda Miata Sport in June 09. Silver, 5-spd, Sport package, Appearance package, manual steering, windows, mirrors, locks.

came with tein flex coilovers, racing beat intake, fart can muffler welded to stock midpipe, short shifter, black hard top, black/polished lip sportmax 002

borrowed some rims to race on because the 002 were not fit properly and would have scrubbed everything. i was happy to sell those rims

the day i sold my black hard top, in a driveway made it look lower and i wish it always looked that low. those are mini cooper 16s

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
built it up for autox, CSP car

upgraded the stock flex spring rates from 7k/6k to 10k/7k, enkei rpf1 14x7 +28 with 225/50/14 kumho v710, hard dog hard core hard top single diagonal roll bar with padding vinyl cover and bolt in harness bar, pink bubbly shift knob, sonicmotor vs3 (bride replica) racing seat

also, the fart can exhaust fell off at an Evo school so i picked up an un-chopped oe midpipe and an MSM axleback

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
From "The Offical 14x7 Enkei RPF1 Picture Thread."

ill try to get some pics of them mounted on the car this weekend, this is all i have for now
ok guys heres some pics of 1 wheel test fitted on the car. for completeness, here's some specs

1999 Mazda Miata Sport
Enkei RPF1 14x7 +28
Kumho Ecsta V710 225/50/14

notes:
99-00 sport brakes are not bigger, same size as the normal 1.8 brakes
i should have measured, but if i had to guess there was about 3mm of space between the caliper and spokes
please forgive the rusty rotors
i want more low
+19 would not fit too well w/ 225s
i know my camber specs are kinda funky right now. plan to get some offset UCA bushings soon
also want to pull fenders a little

enjoy!

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
some time early 2010 i shipped my car from Oahu to the Big Island for an Evolution School which got half cancelled due to a tsunami from south america

anyway, to get it on the boat, i needed 5" of ground clearance from the lowest point under the car. here's my friend who co-drove the car with me as we are picking the car up at the dock on the Big Island. XXR 501 15x8 +15 with 205/50/15 Bridgestone Potenza RE-11. the car was lowered back down for the actual event, then we had to raise it up again to ship it back (yay coilovers). sadly, no action shots from during the event :(

while we were there, my friend was driving and i noticed something odd... the muffler was swaying back and forth wtf o_O well, when he got back we found that the muffler uncapped itself so we just took it off the hangers...

i don't even know why i shipped the muffler back with the car

had a set of V2 Competition 13x8 +20 for a while and finally happened upon a used set of 255/40/13 Hoosier A6 some time in 2011

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
on street duty it looked like this

also tried putting it all the way down, didn't drive it like this

just being silly, spare rims to slide on, red hard top from a red NA project that i gave up on. sold that red hard top too

TRM C3 15x9 +36, i liked the C1 better but somehow my friend talked me into selling them to him so i tried these out

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
decided to sell the car and try something different, wanted to go with a mid engine so had my sights set on an MR2 Spyder. drove my friend's 1st gen MR2 with a silvertop swap in SSM for half a season. loved the car but he decided he needed to sell it. the guy who was supposed to buy my car flaked and i decided i'll keep the car until i can afford an exige

all of the above was been between getting the car in 09 until about a year ago. car was pretty stale since then

the car was parted out (coilovers, roll bar, 13s, gone).

car looks like this now. all it has left is the rb intake, short shifter and bubbly knob, msm axleback, and 15x7 F8F watanabes

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
now that we are caught up, i'm rebuilding the car for STR. phase 1 of the build is pretty simple. ordered Xida-S, RB 1.125" tubular front sway, and 15x9 6UL in matte black all from emilio at 949. got a tracking number today so i'm very stoked

also ordered some black tow hooks from rennenmetal.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ever since i decided to rebuild my car, i've just been obsessed with miatas again and it's good and bad feeling. it's exciting, but my car looks like **** right now. haven't you heard? stock height is the new in thing. regardless, i went and took a couple more pics of it as it is sits right now. please excuse the crappy phone pics and quick shitty post processing

and then i photoshopped one because i can't freakin wait till my coilovers arrive

·
Registered
312 Posts
You'll love STR, I'm 3 events in with my 99' and I PAX'd 3rd at my first event, 1st at the second, and 1st with FTD at the third event. I'm eyeing up Xida's to replace these Tein Flexes, I can't wait to hear what you think about yours.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks guys!

ciotti, i look forward to the xida setup very much. never owned any suspension of that caliber before. but it sounds like you're kicking some major ass on your flexes. if you end up with xida people might not come out to play anymore haha

·
Alexander Supertramp
4,670 Posts
This thread is burning a hole in my pocket... between the TRM C3's and the Wats, you've already had 2 of my 3 sets of desired wheels. It doesn't make it any better that our cars are the same color :lol:

·
Registered
312 Posts
ciotti, i look forward to the xida setup very much. never owned any suspension of that caliber before. but it sounds like you're kicking some major ass on your flexes. if you end up with xida people might not come out to play anymore haha
Hahahahaha, it's all good, I've been adding weight (Carbing STB and control arm braces) trying to get the cowl shake under control since I daily drive it so maybe that will slow me down enough to give everyone else a chance :)

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
what is this control arm braces you speak of? i am intrigued. i doubt a little extra weight will slow you down :)

i got 3 tracking numbers from 949 and they are all expected to arrive June 1st, damn that is so far away!

i may be weighing my car before the coilovers go in, and hopefully soon after as well to corner balance!

·
Registered
312 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
weighed the car just now in my garage on a borrowed set of scales. the real way to do this i hear is to actually level the scales first, but that's too much work and i'm still on stock suspension so I just wanted to get a ball park figure. what I ended up doing was taking some weights with the front in first, then the same weights again with the rear of the car in first, then averaging the 2. if my thinking here is flawed please let me know, but again it wasn't very important to be accurate, just looking for ball park baseline figures. in fact, i've never weighed a car before so if anything is wrong here definitely let me know lol! the total weights seem to still be relevant anyway

so with that in mind as well as other variables not accounted for and forces from the wind and the alignment of the moon blah blah blah, here are the results!

the car was about 2285lbs, a little less than a half tank of gas, the spare tire kit (the spare, the jack, and the board with the tools clipped to it) is about 24-25lbs (i put the main carpet back in to cover up the spare tire well), and i weighed myself on one of the scales at 140lbs

and the averaged corner weights with me in the car, top down, no spare and kit

1 - 20 of 214 Posts