ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, i had some credit so i decided to try out the SEIKOSANGYO SHIFTER EXTENSIONS. hope you guys enjoy it.

this is the extension installed onto the stock shifter

this is what your stock shifter looks like after taking off the leather cover and rubber padding. i put the metal over open flame to get it to change color like this.

i then found a lug nut with a flange wide enough so that when i hammered it into the openning it would hold. i then hammered the sleeves in to hold it in place just in case.

this is the install, over all lenght is a little high, but shifting taking less distance travel from the steering wheel to the shift knob. also, it feels flemsy... so don't shift too hard or you might bend to break it. i'll see how i feel after a week of driving.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
i have a similar setup with a mazdaspeed short shifter and a cusco delrin knob. love the extension and the mazdaspeed short shifter = )

·
3,857 Posts
...but guys with the extensions, don't you have huge travel when you change gears?

Unless if the extension is with double linkage it will definitely not help you changing gears faster...

FYI Renault a few years back in a very special hot hatch-back (the suspension was tuned by PORSCHE) with a V6 engine mounted in the middle (!) and of course RWD
Anyway they used extension (since many of these car were bought for racing) but they did it the right way, see picture below:

http://www.motoring.co.za/index.php?fSectionId=1828&fPicId=46246

·
Registered
149 Posts
what made it uncomfortable? height, throw? i'm curious as i'm looking to do this myself. preferably some ebay short shift kit, with the 100mm angled w/ a ball type knob so the angle wont effect it much.

·
Now in a White Club
1,232 Posts
I felt it was way higher than expected, and I couldn't just rest my arm on the cup holders and arm rest like I used to, I would have had to reach up to shift each time. It lasted for all of about maybe and hour or two.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Does anyone have a positive experience using a shifter extender?
I've been debating getting one but doesn't look good after reading some of the above post. :(

·
Esteemed Member
2,930 Posts
I liked it, but you have to use a short throw shifter with it. If you dont, the shifts are ridiculously long. I took it off because my short throw was crap and basically on the verge of failure.

back to a stock shifter and knob now, I doubt Ill upgrade again because its feels great to me.

griplimited, I have a black ball type knob on my chrome angled extension, its stuck on there pretty good actually. want to buy it? PM me I can get you a pic tonight. I would probably keep it if I could get the knob off and put the stock knob on there, but I dont want to damage the extension and have it all scratched up from vice grips.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I bought one of these extensions for my stock RX-8. I didn't like the stock triangle/rotor shaped knob, so I stole the voodoo knob from my Miata. The voodoo on the stock RX-8 shifter was too short for my taste so I bought an extension. I agree the shift is a little long now so I'm trying to figure out what to do.

As far as the Miata goes, I was going to buy an extension for it but Fuji Racings type B shifter was too good of a deal. It's tall and the throws are great. Just an idea.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts