ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Lit like a BranchDavidian
5,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was on my way to SC on fri night for a drift event, no biggie, right? Well, im a few miles from the SC border in the right lane at about 80 mph when all of a sudden i hear WHAM! It was kinda like a metallic collision.. like 2 cars hitting.

Well i pulled over on the next exit and feared seeing major undercarrage damage, i found the pass. side of my bumper was pretty well shattered. The whole front lip was hanging down as the bumper was split all the way through on one side. There was even a crack on the drivers side on the upper part of the mouth. I ended up drilling some holes, and using zip-ties and duct tape to patch it for now.

So now the fun part on getting a estimate to see if it would be better to repair it or replace it. I have done glasswork myself before, it looks pretty repairable though.

You can kinda see my lovely patch job.... before i did it, it was all white from the cracked glass. Basically, where you can see the patch on the front, it was complete shattered :(

·
Esteemed Member
3,776 Posts
dam that sucks, I hope it can be fixed, btw I think your Nb is one of the best looking out there

·
CR.net Supporter
2,964 Posts
Saw your car at the event and was wondering what had happened. Now i know, sorry that it happened and hopefully it'll make a fast recovery.

·
5,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
**** fixing your lip! it looks badass that way.
fix everything else besides your bumper man.
lol

Well, if i can get it fixed inexpensively, i will. I might even change bumpers.....to the Bomex style. Wish Racing Beat still had the bumper for the NB's :(

If it comes down to it, i can patch it/glass it myself and have a shop finish sanding it a re-paint it.

·
3,542 Posts
Was this original GV or a replica? Don't mean anything by asking, just a data point. There was an original GHO bumper that also cracked a few months ago.

·
Registered
534 Posts
That sucks dude, especially cause it's a genuine bumper! Try fixing it first, if not get a new one then.

·
5,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah, it just exploded. Whats really fucking with me is that when you hit something large it usually knocks around under the car and leaves marks on the undercarrage, right? There are NO marks anywhere under the car of anything making contact after whacking my bumper.

Im not concerned about a extra 5lbs of glass over the bumper, hell, i might even get some kevlar strips to reinforce the whole lip area... that way if i hit something it will crack, but not shatter and loose pieces.

·
5,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
im thinking about going with a bumper like yours because theres a guy here in atl who can get me a good deal on one

·
4,436 Posts
Dood - sorry to hear this - but in a way you are not alone - While Vary makes all the bumpers for just about every body kit supplier in Japan (KG, Nopro, S2, etc) they do shatter easily. Pick up any R&S and you will see that the guys who tend to drive their cars (like you) end up having monkey tape all over those things holding them back together. You may want to just build it back up (if possible) or look for a cheap copy to get you through. You going to be at the next GA meet? I'll bring some JB weld. :wink:

·
Registered
498 Posts
Sorry to hear about that. I was going to call this morning to meet up for lunch but just could not walk up. Give me a call tomorrow, i don't think I work in the morning. I want to see how bad the damage is in person and hear about SC event.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts