ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
trying to install new catback. while taking off stock exhaust from the back of the cat i sheared one bolt of two. how long will i be ok driving around with just one side tightened on? i'm assuming there will probably be a small leak which isn't the end of the world.

p.s. would it be easier to just drill a hole and stick a nut and bolt on there or just buy a new cat and break my arms again on the two front bolts getting the old cat off?

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Just run down to autozone and get a new bolt and nut when you get a chance, you might forget about it if you leave it. You will have an exhaust leak and the gasket could possibly hang by one bolt messing it up. I had a bold come loose and fly off on the freeway and when I got home the gasket was destroyed. You're car will be louder too lol.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the cat has bolts sticking out of it. it isn't a free spinning piece. so i can't just put in a new bolt unless i were to drill my own hole out of the flange on the cat itself.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How about some pictures?
bolt on cat broken off. i'm too strong.
here's a picture of what it should look like it. just imagine it without one bolt. that's it

anyway after further inspection the leak is gonna be bigger than i thought. because of the somewhat awkward hangar attachment on the ebay n1 exhaust the flanges naturally are not flush and so tightening one side has only made it exactly that, tight on one side. i haven't turned the ignition yet because my neighbors were still sleeping when i finished around 5 am and have no idea how loud/quiet this will be. i'll let you know at a more reasonable hour

·
Chinchilla Rancher
3,880 Posts
Ah I forgot those bolts don't really come out on the stock cat. Your best bet is to probably drill it out and replace it with a bolt from the hardware store. Other than that I don't know what to tell you. It's been forever since I messed with my stock cat so I don't remember much with it. The high flow unit I got for it when replacing the exhaust has open hole flanges on it so it just takes normal loose nuts and bolts and doesn't have fixed/pressed in/rust-welded bolts in the flanges like your stock cat does.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Just heat the flange up, with the rest of the exhaust out of the way. Then with the flange almost red hot (be careful not to melt the flange), hit the remaining piece of the stud with a hammer. Should come out with 3-4 smacks.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Just drill them out and put bolts in. both of mine broke off when I was doing my exhaust so I had to do the same and have not had any issues with it

·
Registered
183 Posts
I took a hammer to mine. Took a little persuasion since the bolts face outward. Replaced with new hardware.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts