ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
less movement from steering wheel to stick... not exactly messing with the actual shift action
But honestly, is an extra 2 or 3 inches less between the steering wheel and the shifter going to make your shifts any quicker?

Maybe a second at most :roll:

I guess it comes down to function over form. I'd gladly give up a second on my shifts to have my car look cleaner but to each his own.

Let me know how it turns out

·
Registered
369 Posts
less movement from steering wheel to stick... not exactly messing with the actual shift action
But honestly, is an extra 2 or 3 inches less between the steering wheel and the shifter going to make your shifts any quicker?

I guess it comes down to function over form. I'd gladly give up a second on my shifts to have my car look cleaner but to each his own.

I don't think it would save anywhere near a second, but if it did I'd do it. Making up a second in autocross is huge.

·
Registered
56 Posts

I don't think it would save anywhere near a second, but if it did I'd do it. Making up a second in autocross is huge.
At first I thought even saving a second would be a stretch (so much adrenaline during autoX, it wouldn't matter where the shifter was) but I didn't want to discredit the idea too much.

·
2,708 Posts
I have one that I purchase at Superautobacs, it only extends out about 3inches or so but it makes all the difference in the world. It's not just about keeping your hands on the steering as long as possible but with the increased lengths comes less effort to shift. If you ever shifted in one of those poorly-designed "short shifters", you'd know how hard it is too get it into gear. The added length adds leverage (think long breaker bar) that makes the shifts butter smooth and keeps you from doing those hamfisted, Fast And Furious-style shifts.

Looks wise, is subjective, but i'll take function over style.

Personally, I can't stand it when people put those round Voodoo shift knobs on a short shifter. I've driven in such a miata and it was nearly impossible to shift smoothly.

If you guys every look at the S2K's shift location, it is way up near the steering wheel for minimal travel. Same for MKI MR-2's, as far as roadsters or sports cars goes, the miata's shift location and feel isn't all that great.

·
Registered
369 Posts
BTW, if you guys are interested in a tall gear lever, you may want to check out the Fuji-Racing "type-B" short shifter. It definitely extends higher than the stock lever.

Maybe Jimmy will post a picture of how it looks in the car.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I have one that I purchase at Superautobacs, it only extends out about 3inches or so but it makes all the difference in the world. It's not just about keeping your hands on the steering as long as possible but with the increased lengths comes less effort to shift. If you ever shifted in one of those poorly-designed "short shifters", you'd know how hard it is too get it into gear. The added length adds leverage (think long breaker bar) that makes the shifts butter smooth and keeps you from doing those hamfisted, Fast And Furious-style shifts.

Looks wise, is subjective, but i'll take function over style.

Personally, I can't stand it when people put those round Voodoo shift knobs on a short shifter. I've driven in such a miata and it was nearly impossible to shift smoothly.

If you guys every look at the S2K's shift location, it is way up near the steering wheel for minimal travel. Same for MKI MR-2's, as far as roadsters or sports cars goes, the miata's shift location and feel isn't all that great.
the first gen MR2 also came with a dildo for a shift knob.

·
2,708 Posts
Oh yeah, I drove dicker's miata with the super-extendo-dildo in the mountains and I love it. Super-fast heel-toe downshifts with minimal effort. Naysayers should try it before they knock it. Of course, if you prefer the Voodo knob/miata.net look, then go for it :p

·
Registered
56 Posts
leverage.

plain and simple.
Last time I checked, it didn't take gorilla type strength to shift my car.

I like the short shifter look. If that means I have to practice my shifts a bit more to get them silky smooth, so be it.

Again, its all in what you like, and I just happon to prefer short throws when I'm banging through the gears.

·
2,708 Posts
leverage.

plain and simple.
Last time I checked, it didn't take gorilla type strength to shift my car.

I like the short shifter look. If that means I have to practice my shifts a bit more to get them silky smooth, so be it.

Again, its all in what you like, and I just happon to prefer short throws when I'm banging through the gears.
Do have a true short-shifter or just a shifter with the top cut down? There's a difference.

Have you TRIED an extended shifter? I'm telling you, it's super smooth. And no matter how much you practice, you can't beat physics.

I like the short shifter look.
Ah nevermind, disregard everything.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
i imagine though that without already having a short shifter the extension is going to make the shifts very long. like bang your knuckles on the radio bezel long, right? Which would most certainly disrupt you shifting in the twisties.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
lol, that somehow had a very yoda like ring to it. So you have an extender without a short shifter? I still can't see how this wouldn't exagerate your body movements while shifting.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts