ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
This is a long user title
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I recently (last year) got a brand new clutch, now when I shift, I feel that my shift knob is like a 1960 car that's been beaten to death, I hear some weird sounds (grinding or something, I don't know how to describe it) and the shifting is horrible, not smooth at all.

Anyone has an idea on how I can make the shifting better and with less sounds?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
how's the clutch fluid level? maybe you're slave's leaking. are you shifting hard? maybe a broken clutch fork?

·
Registered
698 Posts
This kind of reminds me of the notchiness I have in my 90. The mechanic told me that it is normal in my year and that Mazda kind of engineered it like that, but there's really no cure for it. I did a search on M.net and they all said the samething. But, I'm not sure about the 91's. I check all of my fluid levels on a regular basis so I know that those aren't the problem. I wonder if replacing the clutch fork can be done while I have my clutch and flywheel installed and I hope that could fix my notchiness.

·
ClubRoadster.net Founder
4,631 Posts
I don't think it's your clutch fork unless it's damages or bent wrong.

Flush your clutch fluid system, make sure it's not leaking, especially the slave cylinder. I always say that if you own a Miata and haven't changed the slave cylinder, it's either brand new or you drive an automatic!

Also, drain your tranny fluid and put in some Redline MTL. It really does wonders for the notchy shifting and 2nd gear grinding.

When you change out your clutch, don't forget to put in all new seals, front and back of the tranny, new pilot bearing, and new release bearing.

·
This is a long user title
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey thanks for the great advices, now I have to find the best deals on the net since that car is starting to be a money pit :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts