ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
CR.net Supporter
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I am in the market for a flush rear bumper cover. I know Simpson Design carries one, but am not aware of any others really.

Anyone know of one in the same price range as Simpson's?

Cheers,
Joel

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
There are no others in that price range, really. Cheapest method is to chop up your existing bumper cover to make it shorty style. Barchetta offer one but they're a tiny club outfit in Japan so sourcing it will be more challenging (e.g. expensive). And then there's this

·
Registered
204 Posts
Don't forget the one by S2 Racing (probably the best looking one IMHO) -- though it's probably waaaaay more expensive than the Simpson, especially with the shipping involved.

http://s2-racing.com/na.html

Personally, I think the Simpson one looks great - why not just go with that one? Yeah, it's been around for a little while, but they seem to be pretty rare - I've never seen one on the road.

·
CR.net Supporter
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are no others in that price range, really. Cheapest method is to chop up your existing bumper cover to make it shorty style. Barchetta offer one but they're a tiny club outfit in Japan so sourcing it will be more challenging (e.g. expensive). And then there's this
quote]

What is the and then there is this? Is that a self chopped one? What's the best method of hacking it up? Also, best way to fill in the exhaust hole? I planning on switching to center exit exhaust and don't want a bajillion holes. Anyone have luck on filling in holes on stock bumpers?

Cheers,
Joel

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
thats a carbon fiber bumper from axis racing I think. I think the "and then there's this..." is alluding to the fact that it is probably outrageously expensive.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Damn, I like how that looks! Did you ever post how you did it exactly? If you didn't, could you do it here?

I'm having a type II put on this coming week, and if the rear mod is simple enough, I'll just ask the body shop to do it...

·
Registered
393 Posts
I talked to Leatherface real quick about it. He told me he purposely removed the thread. He also told me that this mod involves removing the bumper support, so I decided it was worth keeping the safety factor.

·
3,857 Posts
Yes that's correct and unfortunately all of the short bumpers require the removal of the bumper support.
By the way for that exact reasons they are also illegal in most Solo2 classes (even the ones allowing different body kits - like SM2->SSM) since the bumper support needs to be there in all classes except XP and modified.

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
Id love too see one of these, prefferably an s2, on an autokonexion widebody and gv tails :fap:

·
Banned
885 Posts
if someone cheaply made a bunch of molds of stock NA bumpers and cut them out like leatherface, they'd make a lot of doughhhh I'd buy one. I need to get rid of my dual-tip bumper anyway since I plan to get a Corksport exhaust.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I want to see how I can cut mines up before i go buy one already made.

·
Registered
51 Posts
1vic - I plan on getting the GV tails for mine, with the stubby rear bumper and ideally, the simpson 3 piece spoiler. I think it'd look tasty.

Slideruler - I had a Corksport exhaust for a minute and sold it. It hit my rear axle. And it sounded crappy. I have a straight pipe in place of the cat, but it didn't sound good at all. It looked exactly the same as the ebay special OBX or whatever it's called this week.

I posted an inquiry to the old thread over on m.net also. I saw it on there a long time ago and have wanted to modify mine ever since. I think that rear bumper support was mostly there for slow speed collisions. Regardless, I don't mind removing it. I'll probably just end up buying the Simpson bumper. I looked at my stock bumper yesterday, and can't quite see where you could cut it to make it sit flush and have the lines match up.

·
3,857 Posts
I really don't see how someone can do it, since the stock one is not flat and it's also wider.
I believe it would look pretty bad unless if someone is really talented with bondo... in which case of course he can do anything...

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
1vic - I plan on getting the GV tails for mine, with the stubby rear bumper and ideally, the simpson 3 piece spoiler. I think it'd look tasty.
That right there is my dream rear end. I love that spoiler, although the zobrino (sp) duck tail has grown on me too.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I really don't see how someone can do it, since the stock one is not flat and it's also wider.
I believe it would look pretty bad unless if someone is really talented with bondo... in which case of course he can do anything...

i dont see it either someone please show a wright up on how to do this. i love the look and would like to do it myself.

·
Banned
885 Posts
Slideruler - I had a Corksport exhaust for a minute and sold it. It hit my rear axle. And it sounded crappy. I have a straight pipe in place of the cat, but it didn't sound good at all. It looked exactly the same as the ebay special OBX or whatever it's called this week.
really? Thanks for the heads up! I guess I'll be going with the Buddy Club Spec 2. Or, a 3" FlyinMiata exhaust when I'm ready for boost

1 - 19 of 19 Posts