ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i wanted to buy a short shifter but unsure which one to get.
can you guys give me some feedback.
i dont really prefer the ones that shorten the shifter though

oh yeah its for a NA model

please let me know
thanks simon

·
Now in a White Club
1,232 Posts
I have a KGWorks short shifter and love it. Shifting takes a bit more force to put it in gear but it is one of my favorite mods, I would do it again. I have maybe a 2 inch up and down by 3 inch side to side action throughout all of the gears now, so it's very tight. I liked the KG works because it was a decent price at RSpeed open house, it comes with factory mazda little parts, ie washers and ****, it looks nice, and it's exotic, ie not a run-of-the-mill B&M or something like that.

M

·
0 Posts
Last time I checked, B&M doesn't have a kit for Miatas!

I've been curious whether there's any difference in function or feel between the name brand short shifters vs. the eBay knock-offs. Anyone compared first-hand?

BTW, I chose a MazdaTrix SS kit to use with my FC-TII tranny (someday...)

I have a KGWorks short shifter...it's exotic, ie not a run-of-the-mill B&M or something like that.

·
Now in a White Club
1,232 Posts
B&M - first name I could think of. "eBay Special" would probably be more along the lines of what I should have been refering to. But I really can't say much on those, as I haven't tried one out.

·
Mufasa in Training
33,009 Posts
Not that it would matter much, but I honestly can't understand why you'd really want a shorter shifter. Unlike say, a Civic, the Miata doesn't have a long clumsy linkage to slow things down.

Maybe it's just me, but I'd save the (nearly) $200 for something else.

·
Esteemed Member
2,930 Posts
I tried a fidanza (which are on ebay btw ~$70) in a friends miata, enjoyed it instantly.

Im just waiting for mine to arrive now.

It doesnt lower the shifter any, its raises the fulcrum point so at first glance it looks stock.

We flogged eachothers cars on a back road and I kept missing 3rd gear, so it would take a little getting used to.

·
Registered
114 Posts
i got me the fidanza one as well and dude loving it...got it for less than $100 off goodwin, they was on sale cuz now its like 100 something i guess,....but yeah feels good, at first i missed third but now its all gravy!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Unlike say, a Civic, the Miata doesn't have a long clumsy linkage to slow things down.
ya could'a picked a better example, the gearchange on my old car (CRX/Civic DelSol) was fantastic, the Roadster only *just* shades it.

Try MK1 golf or Vauxhall Nova now they have a sloppy gearchange ;)

·
Registered
211 Posts
does anyone make a shorter THROW shifter that's actually got a LONGER stick?

i like my knob close to my hands you see...

·
Banned
445 Posts
i have the "ebay"-one catched for 60$ include shipping from u.k. to germany and its great, the only thing at these you have to use your small rubber-seal or take a new one if yours broken, the shifter and the housing is machined well, nothin leaks, shifting is after 300miles very soft, a very little stronger, but i must say ihave shorten the upper part about 2" cause with the ss my shiftknob sit a bit higher than with the oemshifter and i like the sunken look of mine

·
Mufasa in Training
33,009 Posts
Unlike say, a Civic, the Miata doesn't have a long clumsy linkage to slow things down.
ya could'a picked a better example, the gearchange on my old car (CRX/Civic DelSol) was fantastic, the Roadster only *just* shades it.

Try MK1 golf or Vauxhall Nova now they have a sloppy gearchange ;)
Wow...really? The shifting on my 99DX is the only thing I really dislike about it (ok, that and the really tall gearing...great mileage but totally underwhelming acceleration :( ).

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I have an ebay one, bought it for $60, 2 years and 20K miles later with no problems...this ones like mine but with an adjusteble shift height tho.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Not that it would matter much, but I honestly can't understand why you'd really want a shorter shifter. Unlike say, a Civic, the Miata doesn't have a long clumsy linkage to slow things down.

the only real reason I want a short throw is to run a shift extender.

·
Registered
459 Posts

i have to agree, i test drove two miatas with short shifters and i prefer the stock linkage. i thought it took away from the car's smoothness...but on a honda--it's night and day.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts

the only real reason I want a short throw is to run a shift extender.
Thats exactly whyI got one.

·
Mufasa in Training
33,009 Posts
I could understand that. Just throwing in a measured but opposite opinion :)

·
Registered
518 Posts
IMHO the Mazdaspeed unit is the best and well worth the extra $$.

I've used the EBay units as well as the Simpson and KG Works items as well and removed them after a short while.
The MS unit is a true short shifter, not a shortened shaft style shifter, but a short shifter that changes the fulcrum of the lever and actually delivers a very short shift.
The MS unit also by virtue of it's fulcrum change delivers a raised shaft that places the shift knob closer to the steering wheel.
It's a very tight, notchy feel that takes about 5 minutes to get used to, but once you get used to to the change a stock shifter feels like rubbery in comparison.

MS FTW!

·
Registered
211 Posts
but the "easy" way the short shifters are designed would move the knob down AND shorten the throw... the MS version must have a longer top shaft too.

I liked my E30's BMP short shifter. It had a threaded ball pivot so you could change the effort/throw to whatever you wanted. The trade-off was that the knob was lower for shorter throws as I said above.

I've been pondering making a female-male coupler to spin onto the top of my knob (or future short shift kit) to move it up. damn voodoo knob sits too low.

Matt

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i was really interested in the mazdaspeed shortshifter too, but its like 300-400 dollars. that is really steep. know of any site with it cheaper? because of it being so expensive, im acutally leaning more towards the fidanza one after reading about it in this thread.

simon

1 - 20 of 33 Posts