ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,

I have a 90 with basic bolt ons and suspension work. The timing belt, t-stat, all that was replaced within the last 10k miles.

The car is running fine, but I have noticed the oil pressure gauge being below 30 at idle in traffic. Under acceleration it is between 50-60 on hard acceleration. It has been warm here and cold and crazy, today was a warmer day then usual.

Car has oil, looks fine.

Also sometimes when I let off the gas it kind of surges like feels like I keep tapping the gas VERY VERY lightly..dont know if the two are related.

So does idling below 30psi matter or am I freaking out? It looked to be at about 20psi maybe.... :oops:

I scurd lol :cry:

·
Registered
765 Posts
Sounds normal to me. (oil pressure)
Be sure and use a decent filter, no Fram crap...and on higher mileage 1.6 cars I have found a heavier oil like Shell Rotella 15-40 to be good especially if you have lifter noise. Plus Rotella has mucho detergents which is also good.

I would say the 'surge' is not related to oil pressure.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Sounds good to me. I used 15W-40 Mobil 1 synthetic in my 99 to quiet lifter noise. And I always use Mazda filters amd Mobil 1 oil. A good friend of mine sells cooling oils for metal working and I gave him 1 quart each of Castrol, Mobil 1, Penzoil, and Quaker State both in petroleum based and synthetic and had his lab test them. The figures for Mobil 1 synthetic were so far above the others it was pathetic. That convinced me quickly.

Fram really is the cheapest of the crappy oil filters on the market. thats the reason Auto Zone, Pep boys, Advance, etc. uses Fram filters for their in house brand. Thats also the reason that its about the only filter you can buy at Wal-Mart.

·
Registered
459 Posts
yup. idles at 20 when warm is fine here in cali. at start its 90+ then after driving and warming up its usually 50-60psi on accel over here too on a 94 miata. it surges too here and there. but not losing much oil. my 94 seems to like the heavier oil here in cali, and purrs quiet in 10-20 seconds after start-up.

you're gonna be fine. but i'd like to try those 15-40 and see for myself. i'm using only 10-30...with lil bit of lucas.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts