ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy some wheels and tires for track duty, but im just not sure what i want to go with. That be said please post pics of what you have along with your specs.

Thanx

·
Banned
1,330 Posts
For now... I'll be on some 14x7 Panasport Pro Rallys, offset is 30 or 35... I forget. Running 225series RA1s.

Can't wait to give them a try... car isn't even close to being ready though.

·
Registered
244 Posts
These are mine:

They are the Nickle 949Racing 6UL's
They weight 12.8 lbs and currently are wrapped in 225/45 RA-1's

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
do you guys usually do track days w/ the hard top on? i think i'd prefer to do it w/o the hard top just to have the open feeling, but i'm a noob.. so what do i know? :)

Edit: yea, i know it wouldn't be as aero-efficient, but i guess fastest time isnt something i'm looking for.. just want to enjoy the experience!

·
Registered
244 Posts
I track with the top on.. someday I might do it with the top off for fun, but so far it's always been with the top on. All it took was finding out that some had measured as much as 2-3 second differences in lap time. That's not something I'm willing to give up, because i'm too stinking competetive :D

I'm going to start autocrossing, and I will probably auto-x with the top off since I just dont really car about winning. Heck I'll be in SM2 and wont have a chance anyways.

·
Registered
459 Posts
well since you guys are competitive...just remove the soft top and run without anything. not even a hard top. for the ultimate in weight reduction. having a hard-top on does not decrease 2-3 seconds. period. maybe he just got better. its a self-fulfilling prophecy. everyone runs 2-3 seconds faster on their second or third heat. its a given.

but remove all the weight and keep your car light and you'll naturally achieve faster lap times than with all that junk. aerodynamics don't play that big of a factor in lap times now...c'mon. so top up, or down...its the same. for long distance driving, it'll make mpg difference, but not such a dramatic decrease in such a short track run.

·
Registered
459 Posts
if running with hard top REALLY did provide 2-3 second decrease...thats just fuckin amazing. maybe the car just has too much flex for the suspension to make for much of the corners...but don't miatas at least require roll bars as mandatory equipment to autocross?

are those roll bars not simply enough for some strngthening to the body?

·
Banned
1,330 Posts
The hardtop is about aero. The 2-3 second comments come from the spec miata world and what they have supposedly passed on as to their experiences.

It'll make a difference... and with hadtop on... you probably can get away without a rollbar on track... not that I'd want to.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
...but don't miatas at least require roll bars as mandatory equipment to autocross?
NO.

are those roll bars not simply enough for some strngthening to the body?
No. the typical bolt-on has nothing to do with strengthing the body....they might reduce cowl shake, but you aren't doing anything for your suspension/stiffness...

where you might run into problems on the track is two things...

1. Most tracks go by a 2" rule...meaning your helmet must sit 2" under the rollbar, this tyically doesn't happen in a miata...

2. Lots of instructors will not want to get into the car with you without a hardtop.

I run it because, for one it's quiter and i can hear my instructor, the extra bit of safety factor, keeps the sun out and keeps you cool, and improved aerodynamics.

·
Finger lickin' good...
6,605 Posts
I'm interested as well as I'm looking for track wheels myself. I've been considering Rota Slipstreams or Circuit 8's, but am also looking into others like Team Dynamics, Koseis, Volks, and Weds since they're all towards the lighter end without sacrficing strength. I may also get some 14" Diamond wheels w/ some fat rubber sometime after the turbo is in and more boost is applied.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Always fancied the Team Dynamics pro race 1.2 Light weight, clean, and cheap.

As for right now I have my stock wheels rapped in the old skool azenis (with 90% tread left). When I get my car fixed they are going on as a daily driver tire though. So when I wear them off in 3 weeks I can plead the case for a new set of tires and wheels to my wife.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
^^^^you are allowed to remove your soft top but you have to have some sort of top to run in CSP. Locally they dont care but once you get into regionals and nationals you MUST show proof that you own a hardtop. Stupid i know.
where the hell does that say that? the rule book?

·
CR.net Supporter
324 Posts

Just my usual road wheels with cheapy-cheap Nankangs for low grip and no wear! 8)

I love my hardtop but I don't think I could use it when wearing a helmet as it won't have enough clearance.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts