ClubRoadster.net banner

1161 - 1180 of 1180 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Anyone know what would happen if I used spray paint that isn't heat resistant? (+200°F)

I can't find a color that I like that's resistant to high temperatures.
I had success painting a valve cover with regular paint and then doing a high temp CLEAR engine enamel over it. One of the prettiest things I've ever painted. Over time it can chip and when hot, abrasives will remove the paint. But if it is on something that won't get touched once installed, I think it will work for a few years just fine.

Guess I'm getting old. Totally forgot I posted this VC back on page 36. Different photos though!

http://clubroadster.net/vb_forum/18-engine-transmission/10066-show-us-your-valve-cover-ideas-36.html#post2925642

·
Registered
316 Posts
Nothing crazy, just a simple wrinkle black treatment with polished lettering.

4 coats of VHT Wrinkle Black. Lettering was polished 1st and masked with axle grease.

·
Beggars can't be choosers.
1,454 Posts

·
Beggars can't be choosers.
1,454 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Wow, there are some beautiful valve covers in this thread! Definitely more work than I'm willing to put in :sweatdrop:

I've recently stripped a previous owner's bright red valve cover paint off of mine (it was chipped up) and I just really like the wire wheeled bare aluminum look. I plan to clear coat it before I install it on my fresh motor soon!

Attachments

·
Registered
183 Posts

This cam cover was soaked in a strong alkaline solution called marine clean to give it a raw, aged patina effect to contrast with all the shiny bits in the engine bay.
It was then scrubbed of the oxidized white residue and is coated occasionally with oil to preserve the effect and limit further corrosion.
It doesn't come up well in the photo but I'm happy to leave it as is for now.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Looks great! I don't think you need to clear coat it, it's fine like that.

It definitely looks great like that, I think it probably looks better raw than clearcoated (not dying to make it super shiny), but I suspect the aluminum is going to oxidize and look pretty crap once it's installed in the car for awhile...was hoping the clear coat would prevent that.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Well I did the raw finish on Warbird's valve cover....

....and after about two years it looked pretty much the same before I sold. I have seen pics of the motor since it being sold and don't recall any oxidation.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just to follow up on mine, I did clearcoat the cover a few days ago (despite the post above saying I didn't have to lol...oh well)...doesn't really change the look a whole lot. I used Dupli-Color Glass Clear engine enamel (I would have preferred a matte or satin, but my local stores didn't have any). Yet it still came out reasonably satin-ish, or least semi-gloss, due to the roughness of the finish underneath. Not bad!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
I polished mine up a bit but the clearcoat idea is a good one. I'd like to polish mine to a mirror finish at some point
Somebody is trying to spam their way to classified privileges. :D

1161 - 1180 of 1180 Posts