• SSR/Advan style, Gold

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem posting essays, let me just admit to that straight off the bat. But, I like to include as much pertinent info as possible.
This decision is killing me..I love the many examples of low ET wheels all over CR.net, the only thing that concerns me is just how much they would affect hard driving - and whether they would look as good on an R package, with its I-mean-business rear.

The sportmax 501 would probably be my low ET choice, since the 15mm offset would be easier to fit than the 0et 002. I would have to roll the fenders, I know that, and would do so with my heat gun and a baseball bat, and a friend. But from what I can see, as in the SM 501 pic below, this still leaves your fenders essentially sitting on the tire. The car will be on a bilstein PSS suspension - this may help somewhat, as I have the same bilsteins on my 99NB, and they are stiff enough that when you sit down in the seat, the suspension does not even dip a little bit. But what about with hard-ish driving - not an HPDE per se, but a nice summer drive in the mountains, where for example the stereo gets turned off, the tires start talking a bit, and a small amount of opposite lock is involved?

my "safe" choice is a set of Advan/SSR knockoffs, the Nippon Type C in gold, as seen on ebay. I have essentially the same wheels on my 99 (diff color) and I do love them there. Around 12lbs, have not bent on me in two years of driving and many many potholes. I am confident that they would look good on a black on black R package, though maybe not in gold if I install the red/black cobra monaco seats that I have on order. I would leave out those seats for the right exterior look/wheel performance. Can always fit them somewheres in the future.

The last bit of information that might help is that I have several miatae. Apart from the silver 99NB, which would not be right for the sportmax, I've got a 96 black and tan (bilstein R pkg shocks, NA mounts, and Intrax springs are only real mods) and my brothers 92 Mariner, which on the exterior sports all R package lips, 2001 OEM swept 5 spoke wheels, and a hard dog DD rollbar. I will be keeping his car at my house for the next few years, as he enters the air force academy in June. For most of that time, my dad will be leasing the black/tan from me. The reason mentioning my other cars is relevent, is because it would be nice to be able to be flexible with the wheels. for example, gold would look pretty good on the mariner blue, as well as on the black and tan, when I get that one back eventually. Colorwise, if I got the sportmax 501, I would get them in silver, and repaint the centers if/as needed. Example - if they went on the black/black R package with red seats, keep them silver, or paint centers red. If they went over to the mariner, silver or gold. The Blackntan, silver or gold. The advan/ssr knockffs could be painted too, but not so easily as the Sportmax. Of course moving sportmax around would mean even more fender rolling.

as visual aides, here are a number of pics borrowed from the forums and around the web. This should help the show decision (though it just makes it harder). The GO decision is what owners of low ET wheels will have to advise me on. Apologize for borrowing pics, if they are your car, please understand they are borrowed because I love your look.

The driveway car is pretty much what the R package will look like when I pick it up this week (not my pic/car) but the rollbar has no diags. The wheels in the pic are K1's, but look very similar to the SSR/advan.
The next pic is a black R with gold advan style. Tasty.
The last pic is a dark NA with gold 501's. Very sexxy, but lacks the R spoilers, which I worry would make my R look too busy/blingy, if it didn't affect performance/safety to boot.

Thanks for reading through this! =D>

Attachments

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
IMO, the first pic. we have a RWD car so unless the other wheels are A lot lighter. you need a lip.

and thats my opinion.

·
Registered
459 Posts
the gold ones outside of the free inspection shop... what are those? the ones with the lip. what he said! the rims with the lip takes the cake. thats from how the wheels look. where they sit-fender clearance. and what is the size and offset on those?

it is not necessary for super wide rims on a miata. though wider should be better, but too wide may actually decrease performance. more rubber than what the car actually needs just end up being excess rotating mass, thats what i mean.

·
3,857 Posts
Ask yourself what tire you want to install ;)

If you don't need anything wider that 205 I would go with the 501s

·
3,857 Posts
Now why should affect anything?
These are nice lightweight wheels that increase the track a little bit!
You can find a better deal than that :)
Go for them!

Btw I would go with 205/50/15 azenis 615s

·
Registered
150 Posts
BTW, that black NA with the 501s does in fact have at least the front R-package lip and it still looks superb so no worries for you there.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
The 2nd pic looks like 5Zigen N1R Beketts.
The 3rd pic looks like Kosei K1.

The Nippon Type C are tempting given their price but they just don't "pop" like the Advan RG. Must be something to do with the sharpness of the spoke edges or maybe the quality of the surface finish.

I'd like to throw a few other suggestions into the pile:
BBS RG294 (Black w/ red lip)
WedsSport TC005 (White)
SSR Type C (Anthracite)

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmm, good points all....I think that my next step is to pick up the car and stare at it a good long while. Hopefully the car will tell me what it wants.
The poll is like 50/50 right now!

how did everyone with the low offsets roll their fenders? With the machine of baseball bat style?

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
sick wheels those tracklites. But too much money for 2 extra pounds. I might hit the odd autocross or two, but these are basically for street use. There is a reason I am looking at $400 sportmax and nippons..I have other cars that might get jealous

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
So the budget is set at around $400. That helps narrow things down a bit. Have you considered Team Dynamics Pro Race?

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well I would not say $400 set in stone, when/if the RB come out in +0 I would consider those at $500 shipped.
I'm pretty heavily leaning towards the bronze nippons, because I think they would look good on any of my four miatae if need be, and without having to roll fenders. But darn do those sportmax look sexxy. Ah well, hopefull the car will be ready for me to pick up in a few days.

The team dynamics wheels are alright but are heavier than the nippons and don't look as good, IMO.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
I now realize that I was muddying the waters a bit by throwing out other suggestions. I think 6 spoke wheels look great on a Miata. There are so many different flavors it can be hard to choose. Unless you absolutely need wheels for one of your cars to function I would wait until you've firmly made up your mind which one you like best before pulling the trigger. You may change your mind several more times between now and then.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
an excellent point. Like I said, I'm really hoping that when the car gets here it will become obvious. I've got plenty to keep me busy in the meantime, and the tires are good so there is no real rush.
And I liked the suggestions! None of them jumped into first or second place but considering all options is a good thing.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts