ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This won't be an in-depth how-to, but rather what you can expect to encounter during install of the complete Sickspeed GV tail light kit.

When opening up the packaging you will find the main panel completely wrapped in bubble wrap, 2 medium sized boxes containing the tail lights, and 1 smaller box containing the reverse light.

The panel comes primed white and you can definitely tell that someone has already been sanding down the edges to make it nice and smooth (something I appreciated).

Opening the boxes will reveal the tail lights and reverse light, which I thought were extremely well built and solid.

I had no complaints on the actual build quality of the products, but what was a bit of a bummer was that Sickspeed forgot to include 1 of the red/amber lenses as well as the other little goodies mentioned in the item's description (license plate frame, badge, lanyard, etc.) After emailing them, they shipped them out same day.

Also, this kit includes absolutely no hardware for the taillights, but for some reason does include 2 screws (but no nuts) for the reverse light.

Now down to the actual work I needed to go through to install this kit.

In order to install this kit I had to drill out the following:

3 holes on each tail light.

2 holes for the reverse light.

2 holes for the license plate.

Other modifications I had to do were:

Enlarge the 2 existing mounting holes on the panel.

Chop off and attach a spade on each cable on one of the taillights because it wasn't wired correctly.

Shim my trunk lock because it didn't align perfectly with the hole.

Items I needed to purchase:

6 screws with matching nuts for the tail lights.

2 nuts for the reverse light.

Spades for the tail light's wires.

When starting to install the tail lights, I began by drilling out all the needed holes for the tail lights first. There's no markings or guidelines, so I simply eyeballed it. After having done that I painted it white.

After having done this I installed the tail lights onto the panel and replaced all the bulbs with my current LED bulbs (all the bulbs are the same OEM size). When plugging in the tail lights into the harness I realized that one of the tail light's pigtails wasn't matching up with the correct wires so I had to chop it up, and attach spades to each individual wire.

After that was all said and done. I took to actually mounting the panel to the vehicle. When holding it up to the car I realized that the only 2 holes that Sickspeed actually drilled out, didn't line up at all; To answer this I simply enlarged them.

After having done this, I measured out where the license plate holes were, and drilled those out as well.

Once I got the panel attached to the car I noticed that the trunk lock wasn't even close to being centered in the hole, so I shimmed the lock in order to point it lower, thus fixing that issue.

Once the panel was attached and the lights were bolted down, I fed the wires through the trunk and plugged them in. Since I had to re wire one of the tail lights, I simply followed the correct side's wiring in order to get it to work.

The reverse light's harness had absolutely no instructions, so I took to the web to see what other GV light owners did. Having found Revlimiter's write up, I followed his instructions and tapped the red power cable to the red and green cable on the driver side's oem harness.

Once that was done, I bolted down the ground wire to the existing ground location for the oem harness, and connected the power and ground to the reverse light.

After all of that was said and done I had finished the install.

In my honest opinion the fitment isn't horrible at all. Yes, the sides aren't perfectly flush with the body, but that can easily be fixed with some 3m mounting tape on the oem tabs on the inside. Other than that the only other thing I would is fabricate some metal panels, in order to keep water out much like the actual GV product includes.

If you have any questions I will gladly try to answer them.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Most aftermarket fiberglass pieces don't fit perfectly, including Garage Vary's taillight panel. Granted fitment varies from car to car but i have seen some pics that makes me glad i didn't spend $700+ for a similar setup.

Pics aren't working for me? :dunno:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just installed them today, if I mess around with the mounting points, and used some 3m tape I could get it to look nice :)

Sorry about pictures, they seem to be working for me? :(

·
Registered
63 Posts
Only last photo works for me. Fitment looks ok-ish, I guess, I wouldn't be too bothered to fix it, to be honest

Sent from my Potato-Talk

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Yup, pics are working. :icon_cheers: To me these are the perfect candidate if you are going to blend the panel in because how many want to make a $800 Garage Vary a permanent fixture of their car w/o the possibility of removing it in the future. :dunno: (besides Adam ;) )

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
My real GV panel fit perfectly and came with waterproofing pieces so the trunk doesn't flood. Even the lock lined up. Not trying to kick the dead horse of 'real vs. reps', but just offering my experience to those looking at either option.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
My comment was made with a broad spectrum in mind and after seeing the above pics (they weren't working before when i commented) of the Sickspeed panel installed i can honestly say i have never seen a Garage Vary taillight panel fit that poorly. :suicide: I definitely believe you usually get what you pay for. :)

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Instead of cutting the wires, I pushed the pins out of their slots and repinned it tithe correct spots. I used the Oem light harness as my guide. You'll know if you did it incorrect, for example: the brake lights would constantly stay on or when I put the car into reverse, the passenger turn signal would illuminate... Lol.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts