ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
I would so bust my ass getting in and out of my car with that.

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
Side bar braces make a huge difference in stiffening the shell; I used to periodically take out the side bar from my '91 (Okuyama-Carbing bar), and notice the difference straight away. The Arrive side bar should do a good job stiffening the car, though quite frankly, its got such an arsey fit, I think I'd rather put a full rollbar with side bars in.

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
Side bar braces make a huge difference in stiffening the shell; I used to periodically take out the side bar from my '91 (Okuyama-Carbing bar), and notice the difference straight away. The Arrive side bar should do a good job stiffening the car, though quite frankly, its got such an arsey fit, I think I'd rather put a full rollbar with side bars in.
mmmm my next mod if I can ever get hold of one....... any ideas of where to pick up a rollbar with sidebars on the cheap Andy?

·
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I saw it in the UK mx5 forum.
There was a guy that had a 6-point rollabar and he reported huge difference with the sidebars.

I really like this bar because it's flat, so in case of a side collision it would be less dangerous - of course the proper way would be to add some rollbar padding from the inside.

·
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sorry for the double post...

·
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Chris,

We installed your FM butterfly last weekend and you're still shopping around for chassis braces?

Does this mean that chassis stiffness is just as addictive as HP?!
That's quite true Bill!
It's a very important bar :!:

Look the picture below (Mr. Woolery I kindly ask permission to use the picture of your beloved car if you don't agree pls throw me a ratchet next time that I'll be working in your garage :mrgreen: ).
As you can see that's the weakest point of the miata!
The rollbar can not help at all to increase the rigidity there and only the butterfly it can help somehow - but the sidebar mounting points are further up (compared with the butterfly) so the improvement should be huge!

Too bad that it's so ridiculously expensive :(
More than $850 before shipping to the US :shock:
If they were in the $200-300 area it would be my next weekend project (oh wait next should be the IC :mrgreen: )...

·
Esteemed Member
4,380 Posts
Which roll bar is that? Hard Dog? Auto Power? I really, really want side bars. :(

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts

·
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
kircracing!

·
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
1,213 Posts
that arrive side brace/bar is really neat .... it involves quite a bit of work to install and you have to weld a fixing plate along the interior rocker ( sill ) panel to bolt the alloy brace to ...

they also do a M2-1001 style 4 point brace bar that you can have the tabs included as an option that bolt onto the side brace sections - pretty expensive though but beutifully welded alooy construction ...

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
mmmm my next mod if I can ever get hold of one....... any ideas of where to pick up a rollbar with sidebars on the cheap Andy?
Beware; these Carbing bars make it pretty tight getting in and out. Knackered my right knee within 2 years, and you know my height. The Dtec is much better in this respect. Cusco bars aren't too bad either, but they do rob a bit of seat travel.

Sam Goodwin always seems to have a few rollbars for sale at the OC National next month. Whenever I go to the rally, his is the first stall I make a beeline for, as he's cheap. Next it will be to the autojumble table to offload the contents of my shed.

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
I saw it in the UK mx5 forum.
There was a guy that had a 6-point rollabar and he reported huge difference with the sidebars.

I really like this bar because it's flat, so in case of a side collision it would be less dangerous - of course the proper way would be to add some rollbar padding from the inside.
Interestingly, the MAX5 MX5 race series guys had their cage redesigned, with the side bars protruding into the doors, because they had a problem with a bar protruding into the drivers space, after an impact. Not good. If the car was hit sideways, padding isn't going to do anything to save your leg.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts