ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sidelight mod, sidelights are now indicators, drilled holes in main beams and stuck the sidelight in there, piggy backed a 501 for the indicator and painted the old indicator bulb black and tucked it away (couldn't remove it as it would make the new indicator flash twice as fast and the law here is it has to flash twice a second)

looks mean!!

·
Supporting Member
873 Posts
Looks better than tsi grilles.
How about a HOW-TO? Your brief explanation sounded like gibberish to me (maybe I'm dumb).
Aren't 501's a style of Levi's?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
501 is a type of bulb (here in the UK anyway)
isnt tought to do i really should have done a write up so heres a quick one, just for you
(501 is a bulb btw!)

remove sidelights
cut them just on the other side of the line and i used a glue gun to reseal the holes so condensation doesnt seep in
sorce another pair of 501 bulb holders and fit amber 501 bulbs
piggy back the new holders onto the exsisting indicator bulb (because it uses a much bigger bulb and taking the bulb out of the loop will speed up the new 501 making it look stupid (and an MOT fail)i also sprayed the old bulb black and hid it out of the way (some people can take the thing out of the loop and wire in a resistor but i couldnt be bothered)
remove the old sidelight and relocate to the main beam lamp (full removal is needed as you will need to drill a hole in them to for the old sidelight but i hear you USDM guys have a hole for a sidelight in the main bulb unit?) i used a hot glue gun to hold them in place

repeat on the other side lol

put the car back together, took me an hour and a half in total

·
Registered
645 Posts
hmm gonna try this i have an xtra set just collecting dust.

·
Registered
117 Posts
what did u use to cut the light housing with? a hacksaw?

·
life is bitch!
2,302 Posts
cut your housing at the line between the corner and the part that currently holds your signal/parking bulb. throw away the big piece. move the turn signal bulb holder to the small outside corner section by drilling a hole in the back and shoving it in. seal the small corner section up somehow. you're done.

·
Registered
36 Posts
sidelight mod, sidelights are now indicators, drilled holes in main beams and stuck the sidelight in there, piggy backed a 501 for the indicator and painted the old indicator bulb black and tucked it away (couldn't remove it as it would make the new indicator flash twice as fast and the law here is it has to flash twice a second)
You can fix the "bulb failure mode" issue in the flasher unit by swapping one of the resistors for a larger value (I used 1M). An easy and neat fix if you have basic soldering/PCB skills.

Full details here.

Worked for me when I swapped my sidelights and indicators around and fitted amber LEDs for the indicators. No issues with the MOT test since the mod was done.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts