ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yeah, if anyone ever offers you the opportunity to sleep overnight in your Miata? Pass on it. It's a highly overrated experience.

There was an Oregon Region autocross in BFNowhere, WA this weekend. It was a 150 mile drive each way, and we (my roommates and I) all ran AM session. Because of this, we decided to leave the night before, and get a hotel. We got a late start, and showed up in Packwood WA at 1am.

There's six hotels in Packwood. Most had no vacancy, and the ones that did we couldn't get into! Ya see, every hotel in town closed the desk before midnight! Well crap. So what do we do? Facing a lack of other choices, we backtrack to a rest-stop. Jason climbs in the backseat of his M3, Erik dumps the tires and cooler out the back of his WRX wagon, and they both go to sleep. I grab a tshirt, and set it over the side hardtop latches and try and go to sleep. I woke up in the morning with my feet over the steering wheel, across the car. crumpled up like a wadded sheet of paper across the car. Not the most comfortable night's sleep i've ever had, and I certainly won't do it again given a choice... but it is possible. ;)

The autocross the next day almost made it worth it. The Packwood location is huge (like Boeing/Kent huge for those who have autocrossed in NWR) and pretty smooth. We got to pit in a building, which was great for keeping the sun off, and got 7 runs in a little more than an hour since it was a small crowd. Sure, it was >100 degrees by noon, and 3 of us killed a case of water that day, but it was the first autocross in forever that I'd say was worth the time invested, as I finally got to get a feel for the Miata's new suspension... and boy am I glad I did.

The car was a drift MONSTER. I felt like I was the end-guy in a game of crack-the-whip! By the end of the day, I got it to within 4/10ths of a second (on a 60-second course) of my roommate's racerubbered WRX, but if I can get the tail in line and something stickier than MXes, there's some serious time to be gained in that car still.

At the beginning of the day in the driver's meeting, they made very sure to state "this is NOT a drift-event." I expected a lecture after every run, and never got it. I felt like such a dumbass though... but it was a really entertaining exersize in car-control at least.

I just wish someone'd warned me at some point that Miata hardtops are like greenhouses! The drive home was 150 miles of my own personal hell on earth. It was 100 outside, and with both windows down, I couldn't get that cockpit within 15* of ambient if i tried! It sucked to drive home with it on... but I was glad I had it when I had to sleep in the car.

It was an interesting weekend, I'll give it that. Let's just hope it doesn't repeat in 2 weeks when I go back for the ProSolo. I'm not much of an autocrosser anymore, but I can't help but love the idea of drag racing at an autocross. Anyhow, I should stop rambling, I just had to share the experience with y'all, just in case someone is in the same position I am, find a park bench or something!

·
Supporting Member
46 Posts
I also tried sleeping in a Miata once. That is an experience I do not wish to repeat. :lol:

Prosolo is so much fun. I think it is the most exciting form of autox. :mrgreen:

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Been there, done that. 1/2 way through the night I decided that the ground was a much more comfortable place to sleep. Fortunately it wasn't raining or too cold.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I was on my way from Ft. Myers, FL to Knoxville, TN (moving back) and started having a really hard time keeping my eyes open outside Ocala. Pulled over in the rest area and slid the seat slightly forward, reclined the back and proceeded to pass out cold. Woke up an hour later refreshed for the rest of the drive. I have this innate knack for being able to sleep in strange places. I've fallen asleep at American LeMans Series races at least 4 times that I can think of. Once sitting up against a wall in the Bentley pits at Sebring and once at a table overlooking the front straight at Road Atlanta.

·
CR.net Supporter
124 Posts
I have had to do it a few times. The were all on the way from Tampa, FL to Sarasota, FL(Home). I commute to school in tampa, so sometimes I am up there until 1,2 or even 3 AM studying. Always choose the same rest area about halfway home. Put my legs on the pass. seat use an extra shirt or something soft like a school book (HEH) and fall asleep. I am normaly out for about 1-2 hours. Wake up with a little bit of a crink in the neck, but I am refreshed!

·
Mufasa in Training
32,833 Posts
Try being 6'1" with restricted seat travel due to a rollbar, then add 80deg weather and torrential rains on a July 4th (this July 4th, in fact). For fun, consider that the Miata in question does not have AC and that a new crack in the window has begun to leak furiously.

I had left my parents' house in Canton for a drive back to Cincinnati, 4-4.5hrs away in good weather. It was raining bad enough to cause the car to drift even heading straight down the road (one of the scariest feelings I think I've ever felt).

So? It's dark, wet, humid, I'm driving alone, there aren't many cars on the road, and I'm still shaking off the excesses of the wedding I'd been in that weekend.

Total trip: about 6hrs. I had never been so happy to get to my non-AC'ed apartment in my life!

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Heh. I'm sort of in Brian's boat, but in a different way.

I have the rollbar, too, but while i'm not tall, i'm pretty wide, i'm not a small guy.

The irony of the whole situation is that though it was one of the less comfortable places i've slept, i think I got a better nights sleep there than in my own bed... I need a new one.

·
Registered
441 Posts
nearly did this weekend, went to a JAP car show and forgot my sleeping bag.. being britain it pissed down and i got soaked

ended up using a kettle as a pillow and my friends coat to keep me warm :(

·
bad mother f......
3,173 Posts
I have done this twice. teh suckzo

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Christ, you guys are ballsy! I've never even considered sleeping in my Miata, I'd rather sleep in the dirt.

·
Registered
439 Posts
i just tried getting into the trunk of my miata tonight. it was pretty easy. i'm sure if i removed the spare tire i would be able to sleep in there.. maybe legs propped up?

with a warm blanket of course..
and maybe a watchdog to stand guard and keep me safe

miata seats are not the best things to sleep in. can't even lie down all the way

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
You are crazy. I would never even try to sleep in the miata. I would much rather sleep on the ground. I would have pulled over and slept on the grass next to the car. lol

So the drive up to Packwood was worth it? I have yet to motivate myself to make the drive from Portland to Packwood for one of the events.

Maybe I'll do it next time though. There just aren't enough events at PIR for me.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Grass? What grass? ;)

The drive sucks. There's not many places to eat in town afterwards, and lodging is kinda scarce.

...but the site is really large, flat, and grippy. Had a lot of room to get up and go, and we were pitted in a building, kept the sun off really nicely. The small turnouts made it worth my time too (7 runs, 60 seconds each, 18 people in my grid). I think if the turnouts were larger it might cease to be such a great site but that's only because I don't like driving that far for so little seat time.

If you've no problem with the time investment for autocross, then yes, Packwood is a GREAT site. It's only downside is the drive, but if you like the sport, it's worth it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Couple years back with an ex, I tried the nasty in the NB.

Top down works, otherwise just fork out the cash for a room...your back will thank you =D>

·
Registered
369 Posts
Ive done it a few times. Everytime I have been drunk and I had nowhere else to sleep. Dont worry though I didnt have my keys with me

1 - 20 of 29 Posts