ClubRoadster.net banner

21 - 40 of 86 Posts

·
Sponsor
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Phantom,

Those are awesome pics. I like the scenery much.

It looks like your mirror rods are indeed not bent to the correct angle, and you aren't able to adjust the mirror position to be parallel to the ground, right?

Sorry, we can't separate the Miata-specific bases from the kit at this time.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I bent them a little before installing them but they should be bent a little more.

Rotornut,
The black-oxide screws that came with my APRs did rust and started to look bad. I used black touch up paint that I had and now it looks fine. I wouldn't keep a couple of screws from me getting these mirrors though.

·
Registered
674 Posts
just installed today. fuckin awesome! i'm getting used to not having to look over my shoulder when i'm changing lanes on the highway. love the visibility at night - almost no glare, and it's easier on my eyes. totally enjoying the baller (?) points i've got by having them on the car.

however, a couple of things caught my attention.

first, i Did get a 3/16" hex key, and Did Not get a M6 hex key w/ the parts and tools bag included. luckily i had one in the Ikea tool box we have in the apartment.

second, in step 6 of the instructions, it says to use a 10mm open wrench. i ended up using an 8mm.

and lastly, i just did a wash & wax on my car...is it ok to wax carbon fiber?

so, just wanted everyone to know that they make sure to use a 8mm wrench, and check to see if the hex keys fit.

(now if i can figure out hot to post pix in my garage, i'd be set.)

·
Sponsor
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
eye_wiggles,

Thanks for pointing out the issues with the installation instructions. We've updated the instructions to specify the use of an 8mm wrench (not included), and we'll update the instructions to clarify which hex keys are actually included. I'm going to go ahead and make sure all the hex keys are added/included (3 total) with the package starting now. I apologize for any confusion in this area.

It's totally OK, in fact, recommended that you keep a good coating of wax (or equivalent protectant) on the mirror housing and even on the rest of the mirror assembly. The carbon fiber you see on the housing is coated with a durable UV-stable epoxy-based clearcoat, but just like some other parts of your car, it's always a good idea to keep that extra layer of wax to help keep things looking newer for a longer time.

·
Supporting Member
1,291 Posts
Hey Jeff , I installed the mirrors on Sunday and they looked great !!!!! Today thou we had a thunderstorm and after the storm passed I noticed the screws beginning to rust already!! Weren't they suppose to be rust proof too? Heres some pics of the mirrors installed on my car and of course the rusty screws.

[/img][/quote]

Attachments

·
Sponsor
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Pac-man 99,

The mounting screws were anti-rust coated, not rust-proof.
In my tests with salt water solution, even when the un-coated screws completely rusted over, the black oxide surface still remained intact once the rust was cleaned off. With the anti-rust coating on these black oxide steel screws (they are not stainless, hence the need for additional coating), they survived salt water solution, car washes, and wet weather in my area. :)

It is possible that the rain, which may have been acidic, contributed to a highly increased rate of oxidation...so much that, from the pictures, it seems like even the black oxide surface has been almost completely etched away. The anti-rust coating stood no chance. :(

I will be searching for screw material/coating alternatives (stainless steel black oxide screws would probably also lose their black color in such a situation). In the meantime, I'm going to source a small quantity of stainless (not black) steel screws. I can send these to you as interim replacements. I don't think everyone will have this issue, but if anyone else does...just know that I'm working on a more permanent solution, and that this interim solution is available.

21 - 40 of 86 Posts