ClubRoadster.net banner

41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Are the aluminum bits really 7075? Seems like an unneccesary added cost over 6061. Granted, 7075 is quite a bit stronger, but it's not quite as corrosion resistant or easy to machine as more common 6061.

In regard to the screws, black-oxide coating is not all that great as far as corrosion resistant coatings go. Your salt water test was OK, but I think you would see much more rapid corrosion in a salt "spray" test, where the fastener gets sprayed with salt water periodicially but is still exposed to the atmosphere (oxygen).

Zinc plating works better, because the zinc acts as a sacrificial anode (or is it the cathode? I can never remember) and gives up its electrons to the steel, preventing oxidation. Of course from what I understand, you are looking for a black fastener, and zinc plating is bright silver. I think your best bet would be stainless screws with the heads painted black. Powdercoating may work also, but is probably overkill on a stainless fastener, and you would really need to be careful about getting powdercoat on the threads, plus it might clog up the hex drive.

·
Sponsor
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
mx592, disturbedfan121:
We've tested powder-coating on the screws. A good quality coat does clog up the hex drive, and the threads can't be coated. We'll look into other options...

mx592,
7075 is what we have and what we use. Difference in corrosion resistance between a 7075 vs. 6061 part is a non-issue since the aluminum parts are powder-coated.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Got them on the car this morning and they look awesome!!! The one thing that worked better for me though, instead of using a 8mm wrench was using a 5/16th's wrench instead. Seemed to fit a tad bit better. Anywho, once I can get the wife to dload the pics from the camera, I'll post up a few on my Highlight Silver NB Sport.

EDIT for pics...

Before:

After:

View from Behind:
[/img]

·
Registered
26 Posts
Welp, we had a light misting of rain the other night, and my screws are all doing the same thing as pictured above. I even took extra care installing them as to not to scratch the coating on them, but still, they rusted. I'm thinking that they would need to probably be anodized or something to prevent this from happening. It would keep the same look, and also offer substantially more rust/anti scratch protection... Just my .02. And you wouldn't have to worry about powdercoat mucking things up either.

·
Sponsor
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
SkiZero,
If you would like, I can send a full set of silver-colored stainless steel screws out to you, just like I did for Pac-man 99.

·
Sponsor
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
SkiZero,
Stainless screws have been dropped off at the Post Office. Let me know when they arrive..

·
Supporting Member
1,291 Posts
Here's how the mirrors look with the stainless screws. I liked them more than the original black ones!! It matches my black power-coat fuel lid.

Sorry Jeff for not sending you any pictures yet. It's been raining everyday over here. I managed to take some before it started raining on me (AGAIN) , so there not the best :(

Attachments

·
Sponsor
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Pac-man 99,
Awesome, thanks for sharing the pictures. They look great! I wish it would rain here... :p

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Got my mirror issues resolved (Thanks Jeff!!!), and the mirrors and stainless hardware installed today! I was a little worried about the stainless hardware not looking right, but it's not really all that bad. Better than hardware with surface rust, that's for sure!

Before picture (from NOPI, only pic I could find, because I started taking the OEM mirrors off before I even thought about taking a picture, just way too excited! lol):

After:

·
CR.net Supporter
374 Posts
Jeff, I bought a set off Ebay and they look AWESOME. I can't wait to install them, but I do have a question about installation. It appears there should be two black plastic/rubber conical washers that go on top of the mirrors - I don't see any in the bag of hardware I was sent - I assume per all the pictures they were supposed to be included?

Thanks,
Mike
aka, dycastdude

·
Sponsor
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
minime,
The two black plastic/rubber conical washers should come attached to the stalks with the corresponding screws. If the washers aren't there, let me know. I'll get a new set of the washers sent out to you.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
jeff, by any chance, would you be able to get a drivers side mirror? the glass on mine busted :(

·
Sponsor
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
leatherface24,
Yes, I can get you either a driver-side housing+lens ($75+shipping) or just the lens by itself ($15+shipping).

41 - 60 of 86 Posts