ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i guess that if i were to get the slider mirror i'd have to forego the night/day switch wouldn't i?

to those of you that have the slider mirror, is that a real bother at night? i find that i use that night/day switch a lot, especially if there's someone behind me with their high beams on.

but i really like the look of that mirror setup!

·
ClubRoadster.net Founder
4,631 Posts
Hmm, I too have been thinking about rocking the slider mirror, but hadn't thought of the dimmer aspect.

Peter? Got any input?

·
Banned
8,938 Posts
Dimmers are for old farts, boo whoo my eyes hurt, hahahahaa j/k :twisted:

PhatMiata-san say :

"who young grasshopper ever say pimpin was easy? if you like it, just do it!!"

·
CR.net Supporter
555 Posts
I agree with Peter.. Vibrates, difficult to view at times, Mirror is flimsy and very easy to break. (ask my wife). I had Ingo at IL Motorsport make me one with a larger diameter rod that helped with vibration. You can't overtighten the mirror setting or you'll form a groove in the slider rod. But...they are a great looking item. I'm surprised they're available again.

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
this roadster modding is beginning to be like body building with the mantra "no pain, no gain!", or "if it doesn't hurt you're not doing it right!"

however, it looks like the model of my car made the decision for me, we've got the model that has the stock mirror stuck on the winshield and the dome light on the windshield frame header. oh well ....

·
ClubRoadster.net Founder
4,631 Posts
this roadster modding is beginning to be like body building with the mantra "no pain, no gain!", or "if it doesn't hurt you're not doing it right!"

however, it looks like the model of my car made the decision for me, we've got the model that has the stock mirror stuck on the winshield and the dome light on the windshield frame header. oh well ....
That shouldn't stop you!

Get some adhesive remover and get that stock mirror off of there. Take out the dome light, and slap that IL slider mirror on!

You can always put in some visor plate LEDs or something!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
for awhile there i thought i had a valid excuse to chicken out. tool man got me there :oops: :D

i'll probably do that, but not with the cobra kit. there's a fellow here who builds replica cobra's, speedster's and super seven's and he's able to produce the parts for the kit locally. maybe i can find an old small vw mirror, with a dimmer switch, which perhaps can still be made to appear like a period piece with a little modification.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts

ha ha true

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I lost my rearview mirror 5 years ago, I've never looked back.

"The first rule of Italian driving... What is behind you, doesn't matter!"

I like not having to do crap when someone hits their highbeams, or obsess over the bar getting in the way, or the mirror being in my line of sight, etc...

It's better with no mirror at all. ;)

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
I agree with Peter.. Vibrates, difficult to view at times, Mirror is flimsy and very easy to break. (ask my wife). I had Ingo at IL Motorsport make me one with a larger diameter rod that helped with vibration. You can't overtighten the mirror setting or you'll form a groove in the slider rod. But...they are a great looking item. I'm surprised they're available again.
the new version has a stronger rod and much better improved components. The mirror is oval shape and smaller than the previous version. Direct bolt in for 90-93 cars.

·
ClubRoadster.net Founder
4,631 Posts
what would i have to do to make it fit my 96?
Carefully remove your rearview mirror from the windshield. Ask Randy about that one! HA!

At the header, remove the dome light. I'm not positive if you'll need a headr plastic trim piece from a 90-93 or not, but anyway, the slider mirror should then install.

Anyone disagree?

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
what would i have to do to make it fit my 96?
Carefully remove your rearview mirror from the windshield. Ask Randy about that one! HA!

At the header, remove the dome light. I'm not positive if you'll need a headr plastic trim piece from a 90-93 or not, but anyway, the slider mirror should then install.

Anyone disagree?
Yes I dissagree. The 96 and later cars do not have the holes in the same place. I believe holes have to be made and they have threaded to accommodate sliding mirror bolts. You have to use the 90-93 plastic trim and or drill holes to 96 plastic trim

·
ClubRoadster.net Founder
4,631 Posts
Yeah, that's what I figured. That's why I mentioned that one might have to use the header trim from a '90-'93 car. The holes in the metal windshield surround should be the same, no?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts