ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there something wrong with my tire? Granting that it's 50% tread left in the rear, 195/60/14 Goodyear Eagle GA. I know that putting down about half throttle will definitely make the car slide and I do it when no one is around.

The problem is, i was taking a regular left turn, from stop light. Knowing that my tires are sensitive, i applied light throttle and it accelerated fine. I was doing the same speed as a Suburban to my left. I released the throttle on the process of the left turn, and gave it barely enough gas. And barely, i mean VERY light, less than 1/4 throttle. To my surprise, the rear tires broke traction and i was at 45 degree w/ the suburban. I released the throttle right away and corrected the wheel to point to where i want to go. The car complied and it recovered. Same thing happened on a right turn.

The posts i've searched are people putting a bit of gas on a turn when the rear breaks lose, but this one, i barely put any throttle and it broke.

My suspension is Bilstein w/ Eibach at the moment, and the alignment is actually stock because the shop i took it to refuses to do "sporty" alignment, and I don't have money to shell out for a $120 alignment.

So is the tire really that bad now? I'm actually scared to drive the miata in the rain right now because even straight line, if i give it a bit more gas than usual, it would brake traction already.

·
Big Pimpin'
11,480 Posts
I know that putting down about half throttle will definitely make the car slide and I do it when no one is around
O rly?

Why would you only want to break traction when no one is around? Sounds like someone is trying to drift and play it off as "loss of traction" while driving in the rain :whistle:

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
OMG, a rwd car's ass end sliding around in the wet?

No way, i dont believe it.

its gotta be the tires. my first set (dont remember the name) slid me around every corner, rather if i liked it or not, hell i even spun out on the freeway when a big rig passed me (i was only doing 55) and made me hydroplane. then when those were junk, i bought some kuhmo escta's and they were so much harder to loose traction in the rain. it made sliding actually a challenge.. lol

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
lift-throttle oversteer, read about it.

From what i understand you:
1)are turning
2) lifted off the throttle
3) got back on the throttle at <25%
4) started to slide
5) lifted off the throttle again
6) counter-steered.

Step 2->3 is your error.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
what this guy said^

also, had a similar problem a few weeks ago,
I was on a uphill stop. handbrake applied. When the light turned green, I got the clutch slipping, while releasing the handbrake as to no roll back. This usually works great, but in rain with 10-15% throttle you can slide the rear out. I'd say about 3inches, but it feels eerie...

But then again my tires are shot! and everything stated above^ just makes it worse.
I would recommend go easier on the throttle til you reach 2nd or 3rd.

·
Murse Magnet
14,502 Posts
Those tires are not that old. I would lower the tire pressure and for the hell of it do you have beefed up swaybars? I've read that that might have something to do with something. Stay in 2nd from 5mph+ in the rain. I really make it so y rpms are about 2200 in the rain. Ask me how I know to stay that low. I nearly spun turning on to us1

Sent from my iPhone using Magic

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Jackie Stewart once famously said to James May on top gear, remember, you should never touch the accelerator until you know you never had to take it off again

if you turn first, THEN lift the throttle, weight that was transferred to the rear since you were turning and accelerating, then lifted, moves forward (since you lifted), of course the rear might just step out on you, as all the weight (however miniscule) pushing the rear tires down has shifted.

Rain amplifies any driver flaws, trust me, some of us got to find out real hard, it is also the greatest tool to smooth out driver skills and inputs in the same time...

tire pressure is another culprit, 36 is far too high

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.