ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
No, I'm afraid there are no shortcuts here. You'll have to do what everyone else has done to bump up their compression ratio. That is you must either install domed pistons, longer connecting rods, different crank, skim the head to make the chamber smaller, or lower the block deck. The most common and most affordable method is to skim the head. All of these methods should be done at a machine shop and require careful measurements. You don't need to remove a lot of material to make significant changes in compression ratio and it is vital to ensure that you maintain proper clearance between all moving parts.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info. i am still not quite sure on want i want to do with the motor yet, although i would mind a little more power. i dont really want to much. shaving the head was kind of a back up plan if there were no headgaskets available.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Simply adding 0.10 points of compression or so isn't going to do squat, really. Hell, a full point of added compression does very little. As with any modifications, they have to work together, as in: you don't just throw hotter cams in an other wise stock head because you won't have huge gains. You add to that headwork. Then, you have to make sure your intake, intake manifold, and exhaust manifold flow better, too. All has to work together.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts