ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
This is a long user title
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hey everyone,

I have been talking recently with the guys from SMITHS gauges and I provided them a set of stock gauges in 140MPH, 180KPH & 220KPH.

They will be able to create Miata specific gauge faces that matches their actual gauges :mrgreen:

So, if you are like me and want a perfect matching interior (same colors, same style), you will be able to do it !

They will begin with 2 styles:

SMITHS CLASSIC

SMITHS FLIGHT (RS-Products Type-MG alike)

Okay, so right now they're under development. Once it's ready, they will send me their sample to test the quality.

Price-wise, expect them to be around $100-$150 for the gauge faces set. They are original SMITHS items, so the quality will be there.

We will carry the full matching lineup of gauges made by SMITHS so, for example, you could get:

-SMITHS MIATA 140MPH Classic Gauge Faces
-SMITHS AMMETER Classic Gauge (Volts)
-SMITHS TIME CLOCK Classic Gauge
-SMITHS OIL TEMP Classic Gauge

etc...

Hopefully we'll have enough interest to make it happen! They are very reasonably priced gauges and the style of them is awesome.

Any comments/thoughts ?

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
Technically Smiths style. I used to work for Smiths, and they sold off the rights to put "Smiths" on a gauge about 30 years ago, when they bailed out of the automotive parts business (Smiths basically invented gauges for cars, when someone decided they wanted a clock in their new fangled car 100 years ago.....swiftly followed by instruments for aircraft. Smiths these days is a major engineering concern, big in defence). The gauges business was sold to Lucas, who then sold it onto VDO. Hopefully, you are talking to Caerbont Automotive Instrument (Wales), who own the rights to slap "Smiths" on a gauge (anyone else is breaking trademarks). They need to add a 120mph face to be of any interest to me.

·
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Technically Smiths style. I used to work for Smiths, and they sold off the rights to put "Smiths" on a gauge about 30 years ago, when they bailed out of the automotive parts business (Smiths basically invented gauges for cars, when someone decided they wanted a clock in their new fangled car 100 years ago.....swiftly followed by instruments for aircraft. Smiths these days is a major engineering concern, big in defence). The gauges business was sold to Lucas, who then sold it onto VDO. Hopefully, you are talking to Caerbont Automotive Instrument (Wales), who own the rights to slap "Smiths" on a gauge (anyone else is breaking trademarks). They need to add a 120mph face to be of any interest to me.
Yes, I am talking with Caerbont :)

120MPH ? I thought it was 140MPH...

Any pictures of what you're talking about... as I thought I covered them all.

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
Yes, I am talking with Caerbont :)

120MPH ? I thought it was 140MPH...

Any pictures of what you're talking about... as I thought I covered them all.
In the UK, 180kph speedos have a 120 or 110mph face fitted; you should be able to see one on MX5parts or Lockwood's website.

I have a spare 110mph face......;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Will the additional gauges be electric or mechanical senders?

Are smiths able to make their dual output ( ie two temp readings) in electric instead of mechanical?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would be interested too. I am writing from Italy where a member of mx5-italia forum has opened a topic about this.

Please report there also, I guess many italian members could be interested.

·
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've forwarded it to SMITHS, however, from what I see, it's not one of their design. That means it wouldn't "fit" with their existing lineup...

·
Banned
478 Posts
guarenteed purchase from FABEL.

as an aside, I've been loving everything you're doing as of late. you've really shown how much you care to bring the most tasteful & rare products straight to our door steps. I am tremendously grateful & will certainly have plenty to say about you in my treasure chest after sourcing some more parts from you.

so much win here fellas!

·
Registered
363 Posts
guarenteed purchase from FABEL.

as an aside, I've been loving everything you're doing as of late. you've really shown how much you care to bring the most tasteful & rare products straight to our door steps. I am tremendously grateful & will certainly have plenty to say about you in my treasure chest after sourcing some more parts from you.

so much win here fellas!
I agree fully with this. It's hard to find any company that would do that nowadays :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts