ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Lately just been in some weird funk. After a few months of owning my manual NA I have stopped to think about getting more experienced in my shifting. At first it was mainly about being able to move the car from point A to point B & I succeeded.

Now I'm constantly thinking about getting smoother shifts & properly rev matching. Having less reliance on engaging the clutch for longer periods of time to complete a shift even when moving the car from a stopped position.

Don't know if anyone when learning how to drive had this sort of thing happen to them? Any tips for this? Thanks.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah sorry I wasn't too specific. My NA recently got a 03' transmission swap with an ACT ZM1-HDMM clutch kit. Didn't have enough cash to dish out a lighter flywheel.

·
┐('~`;)┌
6,401 Posts
Pay attention to what you do that doesn't suck and do it more.

Ignore any specific tips because they'll just make you overthink. If you basically understand how the thing works and learn what makes it happy, you can figure out the correct things to do.

·
Registered
931 Posts
dont think to much of it if youre trying to improve everyday driving habits. just continue to drive and eventually it will become second nature. on the otherhand, if youre trying to practice shifting techniques such as rev-matching, heel-toe etc, then id suggest paying closer attention to what your right foot is doing.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yeah honestly its more of a feel u need to gain first.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Super Moderator
2,444 Posts
Practice pulling out in first gear without using your gas peddle. If you try that it gives you a good idea of clutch engagement points, which helps a lot.

·
Supporting Member
1,543 Posts
Pay attention to what you do that doesn't suck and do it more.

Ignore any specific tips because they'll just make you overthink. If you basically understand how the thing works and learn what makes it happy, you can figure out the correct things to do.
This. Don't think. Just practice.

If you want to learn to rev-match downshift practice playing with the gas pedal when you're coming to a stop. Before you know it you'll be doing it just fine. I've learned to drive a standard transmission car better than 90% of the people just from practice and not thinking. Now everything i do is muscle memory and second nature.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I find shifting easier with certain shoes as well. When I wear running shoes or shoes with a big sole and lots of padding, its hard to feel the clutch and accelerator, resulting in less precise shifting.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I feel like smoother and quicker don't always go hand in hand. If you are in a situation that calls for quick shifting you aren't usually going to worry to much about smoothness. But as the others said. Practice practice practice. Its all about getting a feel for your car. It took me forever to get good at smoothly shifting my ms6. Also like Bartlett said, practice pulling away in 1st gear with no gas. It does help in the learning to feel your car aspect.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Heel and tow and dbl. clutching make driving to work an adventure for me, but I don't see much mention of the latter here. I just about always dbbl. clutch downshift in the Miata, because it make it so smooth and makes me feel more "involved and racy". In my truck things feel just so frumpy and removed it doesn't feel worth the trouble.

Rent a copy of the movie "Grand Prix", they removed a panel at the foot well and mounted a camera to film the fancy dancin' of F/1 drivers of the time doing laps around real circuits. Not sure if ya learn anything but it sure is fun to watch, especially in surround sound.

·
Motorboat Captain
9,990 Posts
I used to drive around and shift without ever using the clutch.

I'm not trolling either. The sweet spot was around 3000-3200 RPM.

So say you're in 2nd, drive the car until it's at 4500 RPM, then let go of the gas and gently push up on the shift knob. At about 3000+ RPM it will disengage. Now blip the throttle so the revs go above 3k and gently ease into 3rd gear. Voila. You can now drive with your left hand on the steering wheel, and right hand on her pussy.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts