ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
because **** you
6,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I emailed SMSP to inquire about them making Miata headers and judging by the response from them in the email and the thread it looks like they're gonna make it happen, somebody please hop on this for the sake of us all! SMSP is awesome stuff!

Post #12

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=203345

Sure, if I could find someone local to bring their car over so I could
take some measurments. I just emailed Jason to post something to this
effect.

To: [email protected]
Sent: Thursday, February 01, 2007 1:52 AM
Subject: B6/BP Header Interest

Hello, i'd like to know if you are going to produce a Miata header in
the future, as I see you are working no a Protege motor which use
essentially the same engines (B6/BP), except mounted transversely. The
Miata community is lacking high quality/tech headers like yours and
there is alot of initial interest from ex-honda owners such as myself,
I'd volunteer my car for research and such except i'm not in Virgina.
Please get back to me when you can and check out the link to the
thread below

·
Registered
499 Posts
if they make it i will be all over it!!!

they make THE best header you can get for a all motor honda.( which i had) then i will defentaly get one for the miata over the RB i have now!!!

·
Esteemed Member
2,930 Posts
I just emailed them to get the nitty gritty details. We'll find someone to get there.

Hey Guys,

Im emailing you in response to a thread that was recently posted on clubroadster.net regarding you guys making headers for Miatas. Im really just trying to find out where you guys are located in Virginia, so we can get someone close by to you to stop by and you can take some measurements on the car.

A few questions Im sure many may be wondering....

Does it matter if the car has stock headers or aftermarket headers on it?
How long will you need the car for? A few hours? A few days?
Whats a good time for you guys? (whats your weekday-weekend hours?)

Anyways look forward to hearing from you guys, we'll get someone to visit you guys to get the ball rolling on this. Looks like we already have people lining up to purchase them if theyre made :D

http://clubroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=66754&no=1#66754&sid=4e3d0fe5c758b6dd46dedc47be5acd41

Thanks again.

Matt "boogie van"
Manassas, VA
clubroadster.net

Anyways, Im a little on the slow side sometimes. I found their website in like 2 seconds, they are located in Fredericksburg, VA

http://sms-products.com/Intro.html

I will keep in touch with them via email. If they are available on a Saturday or Sunday we could easily have a few cars show up for them to take a look at.

B6/BP....is that only the 1.6? or 1.6 and 1.8? We can provide both.

·
Banned
1,330 Posts
No question, one of the top, if not the top headers for Hondas out there.

Dave does great great work. Very reputable too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I talked to Dave yesterday (Tuesday), he hadn't heard from any *local* Miata owners yet; but looks like that's about to change.... :D

He said he was going out of town 'for a few days', so you might not hear from him untill the start of next week.

Anyways, looking forward to seeing what he comes up with for the Miata 8)

·
Finger lickin' good...
6,605 Posts
I've got a spare 1.6 header I could send them if they're looking to cut one up.

·
Supporting Member
1,670 Posts
My thought earlier today, after looking at the Pitcrew and A-RF headers, was that if someone made a header that actually made decent power (granted any stock motor doesn't really flow that much air) over the RB unit it would be sweet. Then I started fantasizing about hi-rise headers and then.....I came back to the reality of LHD cars...and shot the idea down.

Now, after seeing this, I have renewed interest.
That being said, it doesn't have to be "hi-rise" but if it was, I'd buy one.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Here's my letter:
Hi, I'm also emailing you in response to a thread on the ClubRoadster forums. I have a 1995, OBDI 1.8L Miata, basically 100% stock minus a fancy clutch and a generic [probably] muffler-shop exhaust. I have all the options that would crowd the engine bay (AC, P/S, nothing relocated or "cleaned up" either). I maintain the car to the maximum of my abilities, and I feel that I'm in good shape power-wise for a stock car.

I understand your shop is in Fredericksburg, VA and that's around an hour's drive from me. I'd gladly volunteer my car. As in, I will drive it down there, arrange for my own transportation home (probably another Miata driver, haha) and will gladly let you rip it apart as you please. I can even provide a shop manual for the entire car!

I also have heard you are out of town, but please please please put me high on your list of volunteers! I'd love to be one of the first to have this header on my car! You can keep my car for as long as it takes for you to gain the most possible power in all the areas you please.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Matt Mxxxxxxx

(703)xxx-xxxx
I really, really hope I get this chance. Anybody think I'd get a free header? :mrgreen:

·
Supporting Member
1,670 Posts
High rise headers have longer runners and generally make more power than standard headers like RB or JR. Well.....actually they usually make more torque than hp, when comparing the % increases.
They're called high rise b/c they come out from the head, then curve upward and then downward (kinda similar to a 3/4 circle) and usually aren't made for LHD cars b/c of the steering column. I looked at my engine bay yesterday for a while and I'm convinced a hi-rise header can be made for our cars, but no one had done it b/c companies seem to be limited to the idea that shorter runners are better or they'd just rather not design something that looks that exotic.

Check out pitcrew racing's header, or a-rf's for that matter. They are sheer works of art and make more power than RB's from what I've heard...although I've yet to see a dyno sheet.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts