ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only kidding, but I do have a serious question: I'm picking up some car parts in Canada this weekend and was wondering if anyone had any experience buying something outside the united states and bringing it in. Do you think the mounties will give me any hassle bringing it in, i.e. forcing me to pay duties/customs or even seizing it?

I only ask because they probably wont fit in my car unless my back seats are down, so they will be exposed. I could also take my dad's pickup truck which has a tounneau cover so no one would even see it, but my car will cost about $50 less in fuel, and probably be more comfortable to drive.

·
//banned
9,131 Posts
i've always had **** shipped...never crossed the border myself with the parts.
i do recall canadian members ordering parts (not this site) from the us running into the excuse that, "your parts are still going through customs."
so idk

·
Registered
236 Posts
Make sure you have a bill of sale for everything, I mean every little piece, with amounts for everything listed.

Should be good to go then!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is pretty vague, but if I'm reading it correctly, as long as I'm not bringing drugs in I should be fine?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i've always had **** shipped...never crossed the border myself with the parts.
i do recall canadian members ordering parts (not this site) from the us running into the excuse that, "your parts are still going through customs."
so idk
That was definitely chaser's excuse for every delay :phillyb:

·
Supporting Member
763 Posts
If they ask just tell them it was already in your car and you just went over there to visit. I don't think it is going to be an issue.

·
Registered
597 Posts
be honest at customs, not worth it to get yourself red flagged and be hassled every time you cross, for years
Customs just wants any duties or taxes they're due, if any, pay them

I carry the parts into Canada because they don't bother with <$400, not worth doing the paperwork. But if I have it shipped in then they always collect.

·
(&#8976;&#9632;_&#9632;)
2,417 Posts
US Border patrol agents think they're hot ****. They searched my car when my Dad and I were returning from a weeklong fishing trip on suspicion of smuggling fish (even though we were at a conservation lake). They didn't like it when I told them that I can catch every type of fish that I caught in Canada back home in the States and that it wouldn't be worth the hassle of trying to keep fish fresh for transport from a remote lake 8 hrs north of the border.

One agent especially didn't like it when my Dad gave him his government work id to scan and said, 'I probably have a higher clearance than you.' The look on his face when he discovered that my Dad was who he said he was after running the id was priceless - The asshole was saying something about how it was fake beforehand.

I've heard horror stories about cars being stripped at the Canadian border upon reentry.

·
Registered
656 Posts
It happen to me, but not intended not to declare what i have, Im just plain dumb to forget not to declare it and my stuff almost got confiscated. never play with them, you'll regret it. since then, I always declare even the coffee mug i purchased.lol

·
Supporting Member
664 Posts
Just have a receipt and declare the items... Worst case you will just pay whatever state taxes are required. I bring car parts into Canada from the states almost monthly.

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
Uh can't you just write a bill of sale stating you bought the items for dirt cheap and avoid huge taxes? How the hell would they know if its used items?

Otherwise take it to the tunnels like fast and furious.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You guys have valid points. I'm just curious how much the duties would be. Does actually know how much they would be? The value of the parts are $1k

·
Registered
656 Posts
If you are a U.S. resident, print the total value of all goods (including commercial merchandise) you or any family members traveling with you have purchased or acquired abroad (including gifts for someone else, but not items mailed to the United States) and are bringing into the United States. Note: U.S. residents are normally entitled to a duty-free exemption of $800 on items accompanying them.

Declare all articles on this form. For gifts, please indicate the retail value. Use the reverse side of this form if additional space is needed to list the items you will declare.
The U.S. CBP officer will determine duty. Duty will be assessed at the current rate on the first $1,000 above the exemption.

Read the notice on the reverse side of the form.

Sign the form and print the date.

Keep the complete form with you and hand it to the CBP officer when you approach the Customs and Border Protection area.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts