ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
CR.net Supporter
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm flyin' down on Thursday for some job interviews. I was born and raised in Central New York and lived in Western New York for a few years. The winters seem to get longer and longer up here! I know Charlotte is a booming city and a lot of people from NY have moved down there.

·
CR.net Supporter
2,964 Posts
yup, plus one here. We should all get together for some sushi on thursday

·
CR.net Supporter
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sweet let me know! I'm pretty excited about checking out a new area. Syracuse is an alright place but it's not going really going anywhere. I hate putting my car away for 4-6 months out the year!

·
CR.net Supporter
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure yet. I don't know the area at all. I'll be visiting the dealerships on East Independence. Probably checking out some of the new housing developments and the city too. Any idea for a good hotel area? I might be staying at a buddy's place whom I grew up with, but that's if he's still in Charlotte. Another buddy of from Rochester might have be down for an interview or two as well.

·
CR.net Supporter
2,964 Posts
East independence dealerships? I live 5 mins if that from there. Whats your job interview for?

The only hotel i've been too was at the Hilton on university and that was because i valeted there.

·
Banned
5,894 Posts
i moved to Charlotte from west Michigan in late '03.

Charlotte is awesome! The people are so friendly, it'll throw you for a loop. Housing is crazy-cheap. Downtown is very cool and very safe . i didn't want to leave, but a new job moved us to CA. I would move back to Charlotte in a heartbeat.There are a LOT of NY'ers in the Charlotte area, you won't have a hard time fitting in.

i think Charlotte is the best-kept secret in the south.

·
CR.net Supporter
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Carolina VW and VW South is own by the same guy. I was told they only have one master tech and a bunch of entry-level techs. I'm VW Certified and from what I understand VW dealerships get extra money for each certified tech they have. So I'm headed out there to check out their shop. I sent out my resume to a bunch of places inluding locally for a service writer position. I'm thinking about opening up a shop and kinda want to get back into the whole customer service thing. Just curious what Charlotte is all about.

·
Banned
5,894 Posts
well, i hatedall the lake effect snow in W.Michigan and the 6 month grey winters.

Charlotte gets very little snow, and when they do, everything closes and you get the day off.

the winters are actually very mild there and it's sunny most days. the spring comes about early-mid march and everything explodes in green. it starts to get hot about the time of the all-star race in late may. it's humid, but everything has A/C and the late afternoon t-storms help cool things off. The autumn is great and it really does't get cold (top-up cold) until december.

you can sve some money by living in union county just to the east of where you are trying to work. mecklenberg county (charlotte) taxes and proceedures are a little goofy, but not as bad as everyone bitches about, compared to the northern states.

you are 3 hours or less from deal's gap. same from atlanta and charleston, sc. charlotte is about as far south as you can go and stil get a taste of all 4 seasons. if you head about 1 hour south, you will start to see palm trees.

·
CR.net Supporter
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Damn kung fu, thanks for the great description from a cold-weather person perspective! I'm surprised that housing is actually cheaper down there then it is in CNY. Plus property taxes up here are horrendous! Sometimes I feel like this area sucks the life out of me. The grey skies, rain, snow, cold, and high taxes take their toll. I think the only slight negative bout moving down south is that my soon to be fiance is a teacher and New York state teachers have great pay and benefits.

·
Banned
5,894 Posts
hmmmm...i don't know how the teacher situation is in charlotte, find some other members here, they might know better than i. if she has tenure, that makes it tougher for her to leave.

a little perspective: i bought a new house in a town just north of charlotte called huntersville, very nice, very quiet, still w/in 20 minutes of downtown charlotte. 1800 sq/ft 2 car detached garage, small yard, lots of options, like harwood flooring, marble counters, nice rocking chair porch. the house cost us 145k built, we sold it two years later (last december) for 175k and it sold at our asking price within 3 weeks. unlike most of the northern states, they can't build homes fast enough in charlotte.

our property taxes were ~$1800/year.

·
Banned
5,894 Posts
i know what you mean about the life-sucking cold weather. west michigan got lake effect snow like w. ny does and i just_couldn't_take it anymore. plus, add a shitty economy and i can't understand why people cling to those areas. the southeast is great. you can find your preferred pace of life there for less money with greater opportunity.

oh, it's too late for this, but you know how i knew spring was coming? when you saw the NASCAR rigs heading south for the Daytona 500. :lol:

·
CR.net Supporter
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great I might be trapped here forever! I'm supposed to leave Thursday morning by plane and there's gonna be a nice snow storm hanging out here over the next 24+ hours. Damn this place!

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I was able to wear shorts for a while one day this week :)

I like Charlotte a lot so far, I've been here for over 2 years now. There's not that much in terms of attractions because Charlotte, even though it is the biggest city in the state, isn't terribly large, but there's still enough to keep you occupied. As was mentioned, Atlanta is about 3 hours, Myrtle Beach about 3 as well, mountains aren't that far, either. Road Atlanta isn't that far, VIR less than 3 hours, CMP less than that, and there's more road courses not unreasonably far away. Plus there's rumor that a new roadcourse is to be built about half an hour north of Charlotte in the next few years. The racing industry is huge here, but unfortunetely the majority of it is NASCAR (however, NASCAR has BIG bucks)

Oh, and there's more and more Miata people popping up :)

·
Registered
971 Posts
My mother is a native, my grandmother lives in the house she and my grandfather built in the 50s. Mom and I moved to CLT in 76 when my parents split up. It's changed a lot over the last 30 years... too many Yankees though (ducking!)

Housing out of the Charlotte city limits is much cheaper, and if you get out of Mecklenburg County the taxes are less. Supposedly Union County (where we live) has good schools, we don't have kids so no clue...

Tonights weather sucks... cold and rainy. Last week was nice, almost 70 one day.

Good autocross group - http://www.ccrscca.com

The Miata club - http://www.carolinasmiataclub.com - is a good group. Yeah, the club is graying... but a membership ($20) gets you a 20% discount on parts and labor at Montgomery Mazda (also on Independence). Also if you want to buy a new Mazda you get S-Plan pricing (employee price) without negotiation.

·
CR.net Supporter
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the input guys. I really hope I get to check it down there this week. Yeah I'm a Yankee myself, but I'm the friendly kind. NYC truly is something else. Everybody does there thing and just looks down. I don't think you're allowed to be friendly there. I did notice how friendly people were when I was Atlanta and Virginia Beach.

·
CR.net Supporter
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Damn you guys have a beautiful city. It's not that big but from the little I saw it's very nice. Saw some nice rides and a few exotics too. A buddy of mine took me out to downtown Friday night and it was pretty cool. I got pretty drunk so I had no idea where we were at. I drove back to downtown Saturday afternoon to walk around and take some pics of some the buildings and ended up eating at Mert's on College St. One thing about the south is y'all know how to make some ice tea!! No joke! And everything I had at Mert's was great(blackened pork chops, mashed potatoes, mac n cheese). I checked out South Park Mall which was pretty nice. The mall had some high end stores that chics in Syracuse would die for, but probably can't afford. That plaza (Phillip's Place is it?) on Fairview was crazy nice! There's definitely some money down there. I guess you guys are the second financial trading center. Anyway, I got offered a job on South Boulevard. I'm still wavering back and forth on my decision. I'll have to decide by the end of the week. Regardless I'm sure I'll at least make another visit to Charlotte!

·
Banned
5,894 Posts
good luck!

charlotte is deceptively small. plus, at it's growth rate, it's going to be fairly large in the next 10 years. i think what charlotte has done is to learn from the growing pains atlanta had and has tried to avoid many of them. like i mentioned before, i would move back there in a heartbeat.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts