ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Compared to the NA market, that is. It seems like I don't see hardly any nicely modified NB's, and I was wondering if it was the fault of the owners, or if there's a correlation with availability (or lack thereof). Are those of you who own NB's satisfied with the ease of locating parts? Do you have a good selection, or is it a pain in the ass to get even basic stuff? After debating over which of a few cars I wanted to get over the past year (actually longer), I've decided on a Miata. My price range is up to the early NB's, so I need to decide if I'd rather go for one of them, or an NA.

Also, this is my first post, so I'll say that this site is great. I've been browsing the miata.net forums for a while now, but I never knew this place existed. It's probably because of the age of most of the guys over there, but a lot of their cars seem kind of boring (hence why I'm asking this question here). So I'm glad I found a group into what I'm into.

Thanks very much.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Basic stuff is very easy to locate, also most of the mechanical/suspension/performance parts are the same in NA and NB. Body parts a little harder to get a hold of, and there's not that many available, other than that, there's a big aftermarket for nb's.

·
Registered
295 Posts
you just gotta search for the stuff. i've found a lot of products just browsing around on google. plus nb products are a little more expensive. i would rather have an na over an nb, just for the fact that you can do a lot more homebrew.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Fact is most hardcore Miata guys have not much use for an NB. Thats just the trurth. Not meant to be an insult so dont take it that way.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fact is most hardcore Miata guys have not much use for an NB. Thats just the trurth. Not meant to be an insult so dont take it that way.
Would you mind explaining what you mean? I'm still strongly considering buying a 94+ NA, plus I take ~95% of opinions I read on forums seriously, so I don't take it as an insult either way.

Thanks to the NB guys for their input so far, too.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Would you mind explaining what you mean? I'm still strongly considering buying a 94+ NA, plus I take ~95% of opinions I read on forums seriously, so I don't take it as an insult either way.

In a nutshell, a more simple, pure sportscar, inside and out, and as far as driving experience.
In fact, many 'hardcore' guys prefer 1.6 cars....albeit sometimes with a few 1.8 "upgrades", diff, brakes etc. The 1.6 is alot of fun, its hard to explain.

To me the 91-94 cars are preferable. Simpler electronics is another factor.
Also, 94-up cars have the ugly dash with airbag crap. ;)
If I was shopping for a 1.8 it would be a 94, the best of all 1.8 cars IMHO, which would be treated to a 90-93 dash assy. :D

NBs tend to be a PITA as far as throwing cels as well. I dont know about you but I dont want to have to replace my EGR or dissasemble/clean my intake manfold everytime I want to pass emissions. ;)

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
i see it as the NA aftermarket refreshing the model while the NB is not that old yet.

NA had a longer lifespan and sold more than the NB's.

if i was selling a product, it be the NA because of the two fact mentioned.

since there is some parts that you can interchange, its not that big deal.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

In a nutshell, a more simple, pure sportscar, inside and out, and as far as driving experience.
In fact, many 'hardcore' guys prefer 1.6 cars....albeit sometimes with a few 1.8 "upgrades", diff, brakes etc. The 1.6 is alot of fun, its hard to explain.

To me the 91-94 cars are preferable. Simpler electronics is another factor.
Also, 94-up cars have the ugly dash with airbag crap. ;)
If I was shopping for a 1.8 it would be a 94, the best of all 1.8 cars IMHO, which would be treated to a 90-93 dash assy. :D

NBs tend to be a PITA as far as throwing cels as well. I dont know about you but I dont want to have to replace my EGR or dissasemble/clean my intake manfold everytime I want to pass emissions. ;)
The 1.6 is actually the first of the Miatas I was interested in, but it jumped to strictly 1.8 once I found out the best the NA6's could offer was a VLSD. I flirted with the idea of retrofitting a Torsen and brakes, but that would thrust me to an autocross class I'd have no chance in unless I spent a lot more money, and paying entry fees to repeatedly come in last is no fun to me.

I've read about the 94's being perferred, but every 94 I've found around here has a shitload of miles. Actually, most of the NA8's near here do (which I guess should be expected of cars older than a decade), which led to me thinking about buying an NB, which led me to making this thread.

·
Registered
339 Posts

As far as driving experience, the NA and NB are nearly identical. I've had both at the same time and can easily compare and say that they are very close to one another, mostly because they are basically the SAME CAR underneath.

And in regard to the NBs and CELs... what a crock of ****. The EGR thing is SO EASY to fix but for some reason everyone thinks they need to take apart the manifold and clean the hole out and **** with the egr valve when all you really ever needed to do was move ONE vacuum hose to a different source and your CEL will never trip again for the EGR codes.

My NB has ~96,000 miles and I've only ever had 1 CEL ever, it was for the EGR and I fixed it the first time around.

·
Registered
342 Posts
its just personal pref nb imho look alot better and everthing that the na lacks the nb makes up for. parts run about the same i price and fairly similar other than that its all about pref.

·
Registered
534 Posts
All the NB CEL talk is BS. I'm running 200+whp with blocked egr, catless 3" straight exhaust, etc. on stock ecu and I have no cel light on and pass emissions with no problems.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I see some of the NB guys have their panties in a wad. :D
Regardless....that wasnt my intention.

LOL...The NAs and NBs do NOT drive indentical. THAT is a crock of **** if ANYTHING is. ;) I have owned both and have most likely owned more variteys of Miatae then anyone here. And the CELs do provide hours of 'fun' but think what you wish.

Aside from a few fans most long time experienced Miata crazies will tell you the NA is definitely the better Miata. Compared to other makes/models an NB is a great car....its when you compare it to an NA then it falls somewhat short in terms of purity and simplicity...and thats what a sportscar is all about. ;)

There is a joke or two you will often hear at certain well known Miata vendors...
"They stopped making Miatas in 1997"
Or when you drive up in your NA...
"Ohhh..you have a REAL Miata"
Just jokes yes..but they convey a certain underlying truth.

But, as they say...there is a seat for every ass. If you like an NB go for it. Its way better then a fuckin Civic or Mitsucrappi! :D And its not a bad car...its a very good car...just not quite as 'pure' as an NA.

On another note, its also true that the NA has a stronger aftermarket...as posted above...alot of that has to do with the age of it....some of it has to do with the potential market for mods/parts. In my area most NB owners are of the wine and cheese variety. (with a few exceptions) Ever notice how nearly every 'iconic' personality in the Miata world drives an NA? I wont mention names.
I'd suggest thats neither cooincidental or accidental. ;)

·
Mufasa in Training
32,615 Posts
OK, folks...let's slow it down a bit. The original topic was asking about the NB aftermarket. This is NOT a soapbox about which car is better!

The fact is, there is a growing NB aftermarket as the cars get older and cheaper (especially with the arrival in the NC). Many NA/NB parts are interchangeable, and in the case of things like shock mounts, much improved.

Long story short, the both NAs and NBs are great cars, but they appeal to different drivers. Let's just leave it at that.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I've read about the 94's being perferred, but every 94 I've found around here has a shitload of miles. Actually, most of the NA8's near here do (which I guess should be expected of cars older than a decade), which led to me thinking about buying an NB, which led me to making this thread.
So I guess deciding between the NA & NB, a comparison, IS part of the subject of this thread?
As I thought it was.

I am not sure where 'here' is...your location that is, but in my experience you can find a 94 with 40-75k, in very clean, even garaged condition for 4.5-6.5k....especially if youre willing to travel a bit.

·
Lit like a BranchDavidian
5,990 Posts
whats this vaccum hose i hear of? i have a blocked EGR and have not heard of this mod.... what doest it make the computer think?

i have have a 96 and now my 99... i love them both... i could never decide. I do liek the NB dash with the intergrated vents and the slightly differnt door panels, i loved my NA outer door handles... LOVE the "flare" over the rear wheels of the NB.... like i said.. i cant make a 'which one is best'

·
Mufasa in Training
32,615 Posts
It really isn't possible to definitively say which one is "best" because "best" means a lot to different people.

Keep in mind that a '90 is now a nearly 20 year old car (making a '94 14yrs old because most were built in '93), and is going to have start having "old car" problems soon, and of course, the rest of the fleet isn't getting any younger. The old vanguard of "get a 94" isn't as valid as it used to be because the cars are just getting old. As they get older (past 20 years old), prepare for prices to start climbing as the car moves to Collectible/Classic status.

Basically, look at the features of each year, try to get seat time, and make a decision that best fits your wallet.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I think you could find whatever you would like to do for your NB, it just might take a little while longer than for the NA.

to me, stock for stock the NA feels more responsive and "fun" because of its simplicity. I am in love with my 97... but PcolasNB is WAY better looking than mine.

·
Registered
765 Posts
whats this vaccum hose i hear of? i have a blocked EGR and have not heard of this mod.... what doest it make the computer think?

i have have a 96 and now my 99... i love them both... i could never decide. I do liek the NB dash with the intergrated vents and the slightly differnt door panels, i loved my NA outer door handles... LOVE the "flare" over the rear wheels of the NB.... like i said.. i cant make a 'which one is best'
Speaking of local NB owners that are definitely not of the wine and cheese variety! More of the slide em and smack em variety...hehehe. :D

Youre right, in terms of styling both varietys have their charms.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts