ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine just started importing cars and parts from Japan to the U.S., and I will soon be the proud owner of a R33 Skyline GTR. Right now he is over in Japan setting up some good contacts and trying to source a good one for me. Sound like a good trade to you? Fortunately I get to enjoy the Miata through spring as the GTR will not be here till mid July. I'll post pics when the right one is found.

·
CR.net Supporter
3,190 Posts
keep both, the r33 is still pretty old and you never know if you're going to have problems or not and that way you're going to have a backup car

·
Registered
245 Posts
i have always wanted to get a MX5 RS coupe (or whatever it was called) into the US. heh.maybe if I ever get a real job again and stop selling car parts I'll try it. I figure I have to get one stripped to a bare shell and ship it as replacement part. heh.

and yeah, R33 parts here are not exactly at Mossy Nissan or something.

·
CR.net Supporter
293 Posts
Well, that's one car definitely worth giving a Miata up for. Our cars are a dime a dozen, especially compared to an R33 GT-R. How hard is it to get it registered?

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
The R33 is the only one that can really leagally get registered in the US as it is the only one with valid crash test data. of cource you would have to do all of the retrofitting that motorex did to the cars. The only truely legal r32s and 34s are the ones that motorex brought in before it got shut down.

Edit: that said, I sure wouldn't mind having one legal or otherwise!

·
CR.net Supporter
1,138 Posts
I wouldn't give up the Miata. You're going to need something to get you around when the Skyline's balljoints (just one example) eventually go out and you can't get some until they're shipped to you from overseas.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
NO, the Skyline is coming, and I am selling the Miata, but I will be getting a beater (Maybe a NA or a EG Civic). Registration is not a problem as I live in Florida where if it has wheels, breaklights, and a DOT approved windshield, it can be registered. Plus I will be purchasing a car over there, having a shop in Japan drop the motor, ship the shell while they rebuild the motor over there where parts are cheap, then ship the motor seperately. When the motor gets here reasemble the car and register as a kit car.

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
10 a penny over here. Beware, there are a lot of fake GTRs coming over; most are just plain old GTS, but most of these owners don't have the gumption to tell the difference.

I quite like the GTR Wagons though.

·
RDR
4,252 Posts
have you driven a gtr before?? usually the customers that have purchased one drive it and then say "thats it?" and then we would have to do a turbo build on it in which they drop 10grand. but yes good luck on your find, and consider yourself lucky you live in florida, or i should say that you don't live in Cali. registering that thing will be a easy

1 - 20 of 21 Posts