ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, my Miata is going...gotta have something bigger and can't afford doing the whole two car thing :(

BUT...I'll be replacing it with something very, very fun. Found a good deal on a '96 Volvo 850 Turbo Wagon :mrgreen:

^Giant turbo fridge with over 220hp stock.
I'll actually have some money left over from the switch for a few things...all it needs is an ECU reflash to be up at the 275hp mark :D :D

Gonna miss my Miata, but I will definitely get another one in the future...hopefully near future! And I don't feel too bad about it because these volvos are killer sleeper cars. Absolute beasts that can also hold everything ever, and are ultra comfortable...along with lasting till the end of time.

I have a feeling I'm gonna be lurking and posting around however, still got the Miata bug haha

·
I wanna go fast
2,781 Posts
A friend of mine had one of these and you're right, they have a great balance of comfort and power.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There's entirely too much entertainment to NOT stick around this place :lol:
I lurk a lot more than I post, because of the top notch entertainment in the battle between the noobs and the trolls.

Oh, and I have to see Scrats build come together too.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A friend of mine had one of these and you're right, they have a great balance of comfort and power.
Maximum comfort...tons of power...and it looks like a giant fridge! How can you go wrong?
Oh, and the center console makes you feel like you need a pilot's training course just to operate all the buttons and knobs. So many things to tinker with, I'm not used to it, considering the Miata had two buttons up top and the A/C button and that was it :lol:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Coming from sweden, id say tuned volvos are more rule than exception among enthusiasts.

Get yourself a good sports filter for the stock airbox, a good aftermarket exhaust, and a ecu reprogramming. And you should be pulling around 300 at the crank.

If you wanna go beyond that youll ned new pistonrods, since they are the achilles heel of that engine. With that issue taken care of, injectors, turbo and clutch are the way to go.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I had a 97 850GLT. I loved the car.
It sucks they were all auto's, and FWD, but it was a cool car. They scoot fairly decently, but it still feels like your heaving around some pretty good mass.

They have a hand full of common issues you will run into if they havent already been resolved. Leaky heater core, pcv issues, abs/traction control computer, etc... Mine had all of the common issues pop up when I first purchased the car.

I sold it to a friend who did all of the required repairs, and he recently sold it to fund a Subaru. If I didnt just purchase a new DD I would have bought it back without thinking twice.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Coming from sweden, id say tuned volvos are more rule than exception among enthusiasts.

Get yourself a good sports filter for the stock airbox, a good aftermarket exhaust, and a ecu reprogramming. And you should be pulling around 300 at the crank.

If you wanna go beyond that youll ned new pistonrods, since they are the achilles heel of that engine. With that issue taken care of, injectors, turbo and clutch are the way to go.
It's definitely getting ECU reflash, ipd ram air intake, and eventually exhaust...as well as sway bars, engine strut bar, springs, and a long ways down the road a bigger turbo and aftermarket downpipe. Working on a very limited budget though so it'll be a little bit.

I had a 97 850GLT. I loved the car.
It sucks they were all auto's, and FWD, but it was a cool car. They scoot fairly decently, but it still feels like your heaving around some pretty good mass.

They have a hand full of common issues you will run into if they havent already been resolved. Leaky heater core, pcv issues, abs/traction control computer, etc... Mine had all of the common issues pop up when I first purchased the car.

I sold it to a friend who did all of the required repairs, and he recently sold it to fund a Subaru. If I didnt just purchase a new DD I would have bought it back without thinking twice.
This one has had almost everying possible serviced, new tires, brakes, radiator etc. as well. We will see how she fares starting Tuesday, when I pick her up.

·
Motorboat Captain
9,990 Posts
I have a sweet spot for the 850's. It was the first time I learned what 16" alloy wheels were.

Keep us updated!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Will do! I should get the car tomorrow, and then I'll figure out how I'm spending money.
All the Volvo forums are brilliant, and have tons of good information, including a really solid idea that I think applies everywhere. They have a term called "Stage 0" that everyone strongly suggests you do before any aftermarket bits, and its basically replacing and improving the wires, plugs, distributors, getting silicone hoses...just about everything that could go out if your car isn't almost new.

Would be a good thing to adopt over here and on other Miata forums as a good piece of advice to the new members.

·
Supporting Member
743 Posts
Good luck with the Volvo! I came from a Volvo family, and inherited my mom's 240 as a daily when she got a new car. I always had a soft spot for the 850 Turbo wagon, keep us updated with it. Also, you'll be back with a Miata soon, we all come back. I left for a few years to have a fling with a GTI, but I couldn't stay away...

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good luck with the Volvo! I came from a Volvo family, and inherited my mom's 240 as a daily when she got a new car. I always had a soft spot for the 850 Turbo wagon, keep us updated with it. Also, you'll be back with a Miata soon, we all come back. I left for a few years to have a fling with a GTI, but I couldn't stay away...
I definitely will get another Miata once I make enough money for two vehicles. No doubt about it :D

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Miata is sold! Went to a nice kid who really needed a car.

Tomorrow at 7 I get my new vehicle!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Just got her home...had to limp her here though :(
Just as we're getting on the Skyway bridge something screwed up. Don't think the turbo blew because the boost meter was registering something still...so I think I might've blown a valve. ](*,)

I'll see tomorrow when I bring it by a mechanic.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just got the word in from the shop.......

2 pistons are out, 90% sure its exhaust valves. $1500 with all the machining etc. Damn swedish vehicles.

·
Registered
289 Posts
That's some shitty luck right there. Figures it would happen on the drive home.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Updates...

Repair on valves ended up being basically as much as I paid for the car, $2300.
Will run for another 200,000 miles though :D

Got some prancing moose stickers and she looked like this:

Got a proper air intake:

Love the sound with this one, and the turbo comes in a full 1.2k rpm lower!

Then, just today...facelift for a grand total of $5

This is how she sits now...going to source an R-Bumper eventually, so I'm waiting on paint on that front bumper, even though it's kind of grungy.

Thoughts?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts