ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to spread the word about the Time/Speed/Distance (TSD) Road Rallies I participate in every First Friday Night of the Month. These things are a lot of fun, completely legal, and very challenging. For anyone not familiar with this form of motorsports, check out the Santa Monica Sports Car Club's website http://www.smscc.org for a full run down on what these are and a very good how to. They always pick some really fun and interesting roads and take you everywhere from santa clarita, to ojai, to ventura, to santa monica, etc. Lots of fun if you live in the San Fernando valley or surrounding area. And here's the best part, it only costs $10 bucks per car to enter. All you need is a car, a driver, a navigator, a stopwatch (accurate to 1/100th sec with time of day function including seconds), a clipboard, and a calculator. These are really a test of driving and navigation skills and your ability to follow directions and stay alert for upcomming signs, turns, etc. Winners of each class recieve a plaque, picture on the website, and mention in the club newsletter. All timing is computerized and the whole rally is very professionally run.
Hopefully we can get more interest sparked in these rallies and start getting more people to come out. The next rally is Friday, January 5th 2007. We meet up behind the Bank of America on Sepulveda and Devonshire just south of the 118 fwy. Get there at 7pm for registration and the beginners meeting usually starts at around 7:40pm.
Hope to see some of you guys there.
-Jon

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
they usually go until about 1030-11pm and usually total about 89-100 miles. Then we always meet up at a pizza place near wherever the rally ends to have dinner, and hand out awards.

·
The Vorlon
4,516 Posts
I did this a few months ago and am looking forward to doing it again sometime soon. This is great fun, with some strategy too!

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
That sounds like a lot of fun. Ill be your navigator if you want Lin. Ive always wanted to do that. Probably wouldnt be very good though.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
don't read the "how to section yet". read the "beginners meeting" first. they make it sound more complicated than it really is. trust me. i brought a first time navigator last time, which was only my second time driving btw, and we won. But to be dead on, yeah, it takes a little skill. The tricks to learn are the delays. using the stopwatch to count delays (aka stuck at a light or at a stop sign for an extended period of time). The other trick is to learn the lingo of the directions. I got tricked last time because they will never have you look for a sign on the left side of the road unless you see SOL (sign on left) in the directions. Well, the directions said change average speed to (CAS) 40 at XXX sign. I saw XXX sign on the left, changed speed, and it endeed up making me late because the directions didn't say SOL. It is almost like a big game of simon says.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts