ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
[NA] SoCal Love

I spent most of my life in NY and recently moved to LA!! I moved here to enjoy the canyons and the car scene. Maybe the women and job market too ;)

Shiny things are too temporary for my budget, so this will be about functioning as a tool and resource for FUN! This is Miata number 6 for me. I deeply enjoy customizing and tinkering with things. I want to build a car that will be part of my stable for a long time. This one will be for the tracks and canyons.

1996 w/ a JDM engine/tranny w/ mazdaspeed flywheel, clutch, and diff.

Upgraded front and rear sway bars.
Racing Beat radiator frame brace.
Aluminum Radiator with one fan dead and broken mounting bracket

Brakes are weak. Handbrake doesn't work. Seat is beat. It’s got body damage all the way around but the engine purrs.

Brought it home and used the free used bottle of Fiji water as my temporary handbrake…

Exhaust is a hack job, leaks everywhere, but the solenoid works and the valve opens and bellows "Give this 4cyl a ticket!!", at least none of it rattles for now... When it's closed it sounds like it wants to be an Si... the owner explained that the exhaust tip came off a 2010 truck

Caliper has some weight reduction?

Megan EZ streets, not impressed, suspension is sluggish, stiff, and bouncy

Attachments

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Dude when you are up and ready, come hit the Malibu canyons with us on Sunday mornings, sun-up. Followed by Supercar Sunday (cars & coffee) at the Westfield promenade off Topanga Canyon Blvd near the 101. You will NOT be dissappointed. I moved here three years ago and it still isnt getting old...

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've got a soft top for real cheap if you just need it to keep water out of the car. It has a a bunch of rips but it has a window at least.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The coils look like Megan EZ-streets.
Thanks!

I've got a soft top for real cheap if you just need it to keep water out of the car. It has a a bunch of rips but it has a window at least.
I am pulling the top off for good and selling it with the defroster rear glass window, No tops needed!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The intake piping had a hole worn through it from the radiator hose clamp screw head. Also the intake joint for the throttle body was broken and siliconed in place. Cleaned and JB welded the intake, patched the hole and turned the guilty clamp.

I love to be OCD but I keep telling myself this is a canyon car, not a club car :bouncin:

Attachments

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Cleaned up a few more odds and ends, removed the hood. Windshield washer reservoir was chopped up? who has an extra?... will happily make one if i find a clever container...

Here's my current big dilemma, i don't want to die if the car rolls off a cliff... Budget roll cage options?

Had to do some work at the school on the weekend so I used ‘preferred parking’ :)

Attachments

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Weight reduction! and a $12 ragtop!!!!
I removed the soggy rotten carpet, and softtop frame(with some shreds of canvas).

That heap of Shite in the foreground is the carpet, AC system, PS pump, and random previous owner trash.

All tucked in for the night

Attachments

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Problem:

Found two Sparco replica? fiberglass seats for $110 with universal mounting brackets, previous owner says they were in an NB but won't fit in an NA.....

He was sorta correct? The mounting bracket holes didn't line up with the miata brackets. Sadly I do not have a fully equipped shop so a 12v dewalt and a dremel....:smile1:

Lined up the holes and made my mark...

OEM sliders still work!

The shift knob is HORRID. Someone melted a dollar store screwdriver handle onto the shifter in order to thread it??? They also melted a push button into the top of the handle. It spins freely until the button wires get twisted… to be fixed!

More very soon! Going to the swap meet at 949 racing and meeting a craigslist seller there. Sunday at sunrise meeting some people to drive Topanga!!

I love SoCal so much...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Love the beater status. Let's get your brakes done and hit the canyons this weekend!

No kidding, I'd clean your interior as well as you can and then hit everything with bedliner and call it done.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Love the beater status. Let's get your brakes done and hit the canyons this weekend!

No kidding, I'd clean your interior as well as you can and then hit everything with bedliner and call it done.
I was thinking primer gray hides dirt and dents the best, but I hadn't thought of bedliner!!!

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I was thinking primer gray hides dirt and dents the best, but I hadn't thought of bedliner!!!
I was thinking just for the interior though. Got a buddy that did something similar this past weekend. Bedliner out of a rattle can - would be great for a stripped out car with no interior, especially when you have no top and the car stays outside.

Did you save your soft top? You can remove the frame, save the front bow and make a bikini top if you wanted.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've been thinking about the bikini top, I'd love to see a bikini top in person to see how it fits and looks on the car. I'm not sure it'll work so well with my style bar either... Still waiting for a used Harddog to pop up.... anybody?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I wouldn't use bedliner personally. Looks really bad imo. Get some used carpet from someone who gutted their car for cheap and clean it real good.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
JB welded the intake, patched a whole from the upper coolant hose clamp bolt rubbing. Also re-attached the side fitting, what's the purpose of that lower intake hose?
That's the inlet for your valve cover vent - from where your breather is currently installed.

Bedliner in an interior looks pretty good because of all the curves and contours - it hides the natural texture of the bedliner paint. Plus there are some noise dampening properties, it will seal bare metal, etc. Plus if you hate it, you can always find a used carpet to cover it up! Personally I've seen your interior... I'd say it would be a huge improvement.

A used Hard Dog should be around $300-400 depending on condition. Always bolt-in, I think. They also make door bars that use the same roll bar mounting points. DIY Roadster door bars also use the same mounting points so you don't have to drill new holes if the roll bar is already installed.

I've got a bikini top. I'll have Phee model it for you.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Roll Bar? Bolt in Cage? orrrr

SPEC Miata chassis?!?!?!:bouncin: I paid $500 to have this delivered to my driveway...

Attachments

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Rusty! but I can see the beauty and potential…

Only damage to the frame is the trunk passenger tail light framework, but it didn’t wrinkle the trunk or anything around it.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 47 Posts