ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there a way to replace the rear window plastic on a soft top, without replacing the whole top? my top is in great shape just not my rear plastic window.

i was thinking like construction clear 4-6mm plastic, remove old window and sew the plastic in place.

but i was wondering if there is places that sells precut replacements? or is there no such thing?

i tried googling without much luck besides shops that could fix it... not what i want

·
Supporting Mamber
3,672 Posts
The replacement kits suck ass, the glue and window have to be DOT approved so in about 6 months it'll fall apart and they're pricy for how short they last. I was in this situation last year so I went to a fabric store and bought the thickest clear vinyl they had, get about twice as much as you need just incase. It ended up being less than $4.00. Next get marine epoxy that's waterproof. Cut the rear window out and epoxy your new one in. Installation may vary due to your top design I.e. zippered, zipper less etc.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
92 na

so no zipper

so that was my guess from the start, straight razor or fabric scissor the window out.

and ive been told to sew the clear vinyl in? or does that only work with the zippered windows cause it comes out?

·
d[-_-]b 56-783
1,448 Posts
As he stated, they're too expensive for something u could do yourself for much less. I've been quoted 300!!!! to fix it. Ridiculous prices. I've been wanting to do it myself, since my top is perfect, but haven't done so yet. I have a glass window and plan on putting instead of plastic. I've been waiting to find the perfect glue or w/e that will last. I think I've seen a few DIY threads in here, so search around and PM the OP to see if their way lasted.
Good luck. Let us know what u come up w/

·
d[-_-]b 56-783
1,448 Posts
Oh, and removing the soft top w/ frame isn't too difficult... incase u don't want to do it while the top is on the car.

·
Banned
5,894 Posts
I had mine replaced many years ago. I took it to a shop that made custom canopies for boats. They used a heavier clear vinyl with some UV resistance and installed a heavier grade zipper. They had to remove the top. IIRC, it was $250.

A few years after, I replaced it with a complete top and frame from an '03 miata that suffered a front hit. Personally, I liked the NB top on my NA more. The solid rear window and the tailoring was quite a bit better.

I no longer have a softtop. I removed it completely in favor of a hardtop.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Local upholsterers should be able to do this repair in about an hour and for about 100. I looked a Miata that just got a new plastic window glued and sewed in. It cost the guy 110 and he waited for the repair at the shop. It looked and folded perfect, no sagging or creasing.

Goggle auto top services in your area.

·
d[-_-]b 56-783
1,448 Posts
Local upholsterers should be able to do this repair in about an hour and for about 100. I looked a Miata that just got a new plastic window glued and sewed in. It cost the guy 110 and he waited for the repair at the shop. It looked and folded perfect, no sagging or creasing.

Goggle auto top services in your area.
3 upholstery shops quoted me 300.... they're main reason is because they have to remove the whole soft top, even though i explained i just wanted them to remake the flap and window... but they didnt understand that.

·
Registered
945 Posts
3 upholstery shops quoted me 300.... they're main reason is because they have to remove the whole soft top, even though i explained i just wanted them to remake the flap and window... but they didnt understand that.
I guess the guy that did the top I was talking about was more experienced with this kind of repair. The owner of the car said he watched the repair happen, and even helped hold the top half up when needed. I saw the finished product..It's definitely possible!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
can i get clear vinyl from a local home depot? lowes? or u said fabric store like a joanna fabric or michaels?

im going to try the vinyl and epoxt cause i have tears from side to side on mine and i have upc tape on it now cause its waterproof so its rain proof

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
never really have sewed. sure i could do it, but probably wouldnt have the patience's

we shall see. im debating if i wanna go pick it up and give it try

1 - 20 of 41 Posts