ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be taking my soft top off my car and selling it as I really like my hard top and haven't missed the soft top since i got it. I'm trying too figure out if I need to pull out my Hard Core Bar to get the top out. anyone got any experience?

·
Mufasa in Training
33,002 Posts
Wish I had an answer for you, but let me know how it goes. Are you just going to be hardtop all the time?

·
Registered
369 Posts
I just removed my softtop but I've got a BSP bar which mounts differently than the HD. If you can remove the carpet and plastic seat belt towers I think you should be fine.

After that it is a matter of the bolts that hold the rain rail in place and 3 bolts in each seatbelt tower. It only took me about 45 minutes to get the top out. Good luck!

·
The Vorlon
4,516 Posts
You sould be able to remove the soft top as a whole assembly in about 20-30 minutes. It's pretty easy to just unbolt everything and remove it.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I'm in agreement with these guys. It's easy... however, I don't know if I'd do it if I was you. There's a lot of times I wish I still had my soft top in, I've been exclusively hardtopped since last November... and I had to buy an S2000 for my topdown fun. . . besides you've got one of those fancy limited edition cars, you sure you wanna butcher it?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
i think i may remove my softtop as well. since i've moved (and now have a proper garage) i've always had the boot cover on my top. so really, i dont ever plan on using it. plus, i have a hard top (and hoist).

i dont see any reason i need that softtop anymore. we dont get sudden rains here in SoCal.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
you want to remove the seats 1st. remove plastice panels onethe driver and passnger side to get to the bolts/nuts. then go remove the nuts one by one by peeling the carpet back. it took 4 hrs by myself .

-tried to salvage the clips
-putting back the metal bar and nuts that hold the soft top. ( gotta be csp legal for me)

·
The Vorlon
4,516 Posts
I removed the soft top years ago and have never regretted it. 35 lbs. of ugly fat gone. =D>

·
Registered
369 Posts
you want to remove the seats 1st. remove plastice panels onethe driver and passnger side to get to the bolts/nuts. then go remove the nuts one by one by peeling the carpet back. it took 4 hrs by myself .

-tried to salvage the clips
-putting back the metal bar and nuts that hold the soft top. ( gotta be csp legal for me)
I didn't need to remove the seats.

·
Registered
245 Posts
on my 1st miata when I had a garage to use I removed the soft top and had only a hard top. the hardtop spend most of its time hanging from its little fancy cradle thing in the garage rafters. But it was my 2nd car so it was no big deal. When #3 gets to go to 2nd car duties it will probably lose it soft top too.

·
Miata Master
2,138 Posts
definately don't need to remove your bar! here is a step by step i think.. .remove top seat belt bolt and cover. . remove 2 boot snaps(10mm) from each side and i push clip from each side dont forget the corner cover that has a phillips holding it in. . pull weatherstriping from rear of door jamb down and out of way. 3.remove rear shelf carpet 10-15 black push clips and 2 phillips head top stops. pull carpet out and out of way. remove shoulder trims that you already took hardware out of and put to the side.remove all 10mm nuts from the rails that go around the bottom of the top. the 2 closest to the door can be accessed through a hole that is visible now that the shoulder trim is removed. if your rain rail is not rivited to the top pull the top off the studs and out from the middle of the rain rail. if the rail is rivited fold the top down and remove the push clip that is near the door on the outside of the top and pull as one complete unit. close top again if it isnt already and remove the 3 12mm on each side that were under the shoulder trim and the top should just come out.. this usually takes me 25- 35 minutes but i have done alot of them. dont forget some other things like hardtop catches and you should be golden... hope that helps... you dont have to remove the bar..... its definately easier without it in, but it might be harder to remove the bar........ good luck.. oh ya assembly is same as removal minus all the top stuff

·
Miata Master
2,138 Posts
to remove the push clips without breaking them use a trim tool or take a donation from the kitchen and use a fork....

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll keep evrybody posted.

As to being a fancy LE, I don't really plan on selling the car... um well, ever...so value isn't a huge concern.

I haven't really missed putting the top down, with my hard top on since december or november. Plus, I want to get some parcel shelf space back. It's a usefull storage area when the soft top isn't folded up there. and as Mr.Wollery said, 35lbs is a pretty significant weight savings on my already porky LE (ALL the Options, Even the heavy-ass ABS).

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
What kinda shape is your soft top in? ;) I got rid of mine because the softtop was shot to ****.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I took my softtop out, w/o removing the seats, and with a harddog deuce (mounts the same as hardcore) in about 10 minutes. Not hard at all!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts