ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OKOK I have no idea why youse wood want to go from what mazda says is the ideal offset of +45 to +0 .

I try to buy wheels that have at least 40mm of offset butt as I read here youse guys seem to want less or nuthin at all in the offset department , aren't you worried about the handling ?

·
CR.net Supporter
1,390 Posts
lip is hot :) +40 offset is so honda and blah. Shouldn't one of the dot net "mods" chime in and say that it eats the wheel bearings? :)

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Also, that stock 40mm offset, especially on skinny stock wheels, leaves a lot of gap between the inside of the wheel arches and the wheel. I personally dislike the look of my wheels being swallowed by my fenders. the only way +40 would look right to me is with an 8" wide wheel.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like the 15x6.5 +40mm wheels not for looks as much as weight , the less unsprung weight the better the supension will work , I mean if looks are that important than by all means go for it I was just wondering .

At the present time I have less than 30 lbs a corner , and the car works really well found some nice down hill blind right handers and they were fun .

On a side note I am not an M.netter but I don't like to bash or flame them they have thier place as do youse guys and myself .

·
Registered
39 Posts
It's all about looks. If you're running a zero offset, there are probably two things on your mind:

1) Fat lip.
2) Fender flushness.

Sure, running a much lower offset than stock will affect handling and ackerman angles, but you'll look good. In all seriousness, I like deep lips, zero wheel gap, and tires that are flush with the fender.

Having said that, I'm not a good enough driver to fiddle with my suspension setup, so I run stock.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I've been trying to work out something regarding this, so figured I'd tack it on this thread. :)

I'd really like to have a look something like CE28N's :D
I can't go to 13"s as I have a 1.8, so the brakes are too big :(
And I won't be able to get away with being quite as extreme as his as my wheels will need to be wholly within the arches, as it's illegal for them to be outside here :(

I'd also(here's the on topic bit) like to keep the offset as near to stock as possible, so I was wondering if I can go to something like 14x8 with a 40mm offset?
Will they fit?
Or will I be constantly rubbing the inside?

Does the maths work in the simple fashion that I think it should?
i.e. can I measure from the current wheel face to where I would like the wheel to be, multiply that by 2 and then subtract the difference in offset to work out what width wheel I'd like?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
yeah. I ride the fence. bumper steer, tram lining, and ackerman angles are all potential issues with wide offset. You do widen your track, so potentially, you could have more lateral grip. That is why I have some 15x8 with 15mm offset wheels on order. I'm not convinced the added track will make the car faster, but you need to try and see, right?

The original mazdaspeed race widebody used low offset wheels. And there are a ton of cars that were faster with that setup. Doesn't make it right, and I actually think the car will be harder to drive. But could ultimately be faster.

time will tell...

·
1,213 Posts
N2 race series in Japan used wide bodied cars with Phat wheel setup ... I see what you are saying but I can't imagine ( with the right geometry settings of course ) that they would deliberately create a race series with inferior handling !!?

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I've been trying to work out something regarding this, so figured I'd tack it on this thread. :)

I'd really like to have a look something like CE28N's :D
I can't go to 13"s as I have a 1.8, so the brakes are too big :(
And I won't be able to get away with being quite as extreme as his as my wheels will need to be wholly within the arches, as it's illegal for them to be outside here :(

I'd also(here's the on topic bit) like to keep the offset as near to stock as possible, so I was wondering if I can go to something like 14x8 with a 40mm offset?
Will they fit?
Or will I be constantly rubbing the inside?

Does the maths work in the simple fashion that I think it should?
i.e. can I measure from the current wheel face to where I would like the wheel to be, multiply that by 2 and then subtract the difference in offset to work out what width wheel I'd like?
some 13" wheels fit on 1.8 brakes. such as ce28n's rota rbs
13x8 -4 offset

sorry back on topic guys :oops:

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Just for reference. I love the way my car handles and it is the "anti-chirst of miata" set up. Low and wide.

I am deffinatly the type of person who will go bonkers if a car dosn't handle the way I want. So if the set up I had now didn't work it would be gone and replaced with something else.

Yes, even with the pulled tires it is a grip monster. But it slips and slides when I want it too. Well not exactly how I want it too because of no LSD but you get the idea..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts