ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm about to make my switch from my 2000 GC8 WRX (full JDM swapped of course :D )
To an NA roadster.

I was referred by my neighbor and family friend Matt aka Boogie Van.

I was hoping someone could help me choose between the 1.6l and the 1.8l car. So far I like the features and brakes and motor output of the 1.8l.
But i've been told that the 1.6l feels "more connected"
I'm not sure what to make of that. I do like the money saved on the 1.6l as I can put the leftover money towards mods... But i'm not sure which route to take.

I'd appreciate your input.

·
CR.net Supporter
1,390 Posts
Welcome! I had a GDA WRX and did the switch myself.

My recommendation is to find the best/cleanest miata you can in your budget be it either a 1.6 or 1.8.

Everything switches over fairly easy. You can always swap in a 1.8 later.

Personally, I like the 1.6l no airbag dash, but I was looking for a 1.8 and stumbled across a really clean 1.6 w/GReddy Turbo and went that route.

I like the 1.8 mirrors more, and have a pair waiting to go in as we speak.

Other than Personal Preferences on Aesthetics, if you go with a 1.6 you should factor in the fact that the 1.8 has the following MAJOR upgrades

Larger brakes
Chassis braces
TorSen LSD/Bigger Rear end upgrade cost

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I'm planning on autocrossing it and driving it daily.

And i've done quite a bit of research and I liked the Brakes, LSD, stiffening, and motor in the 1.8. Also, this car will be a daily driver. So i liked the power mirrors and windows and door locks etc. Granted all that is very simple to swap over.

At this point I'm fairly rushed to get one so if i was to find a nice 1.6 i'd go for it.

I Love Boost... so turbocharging is in the far future. For now, however, i need to keep my liscense and stay out of jail til i can improve my driving record :roll:

For now... minor cosmetic upgrades, wheels, fun interior things and small mods will suffice.

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
I wanted a 1.6 but I found a 1.8 cheaper and couldn't pass that down.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't want to buy a modded car. My budget for the car initially is around 5k. And I want it to be stock or pretty close to it.

Then I'll have another 2-3k to mess around with. I'm trying to drive it stock for a good bit tho. Gotta concentrate on my schoolwork

·
Esteemed Member
2,930 Posts
Steve, a dealership (*gasp!*) down here had a base model 96 montego blue on the lot for a while, but what they were asking was just totally outrageous. It looked good though, but they probabably detailed the hell out of it. The place was called Dash Motors, in Manassas.

Only thing is..it was a base, so it came stock with heavy steelies, probably no power options, no headrest speakers (which are money).

If I were you, I would check all the car sites like autotrader, cars.com, ebay, etcc...because when the good deals are posted they are almost immediately bought and paid for.

One morning I found a 92 C-package, not even an hour after it was posted on autotrader, black & tan, from the pictures it looked immaculate and included a hardtop. Mileage was a bit high at 152k but it looked to be taken care of well, asking $2800. I emailed the guy and got an email back about 2 hours later, someone had already come to look at it and put down a deposit, and only a strange turn of unfortunate circumstances would prevent the sale. Work had me by the balls and I wouldnt have been able to make it over there until 6pm anyways so...oh well.

If my rims arrive at home today, Ill be back in sterling tonight for a little bit.. give me a call if you want to test drive the beastly 1.6

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
So far, the only flaws of the 1.6 is very low power. Especially when you turn on the A/C.
Also, the short crank issues (90-91's).

They're very cheap and only has the driver's side airbag. Although these cars are easy to get, there's some parts that are getting harder to find. (90-93 supercharger systems).

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Worst part about NA6 is lack of power, cannot stroke to 2.0L, and bad (small) differentials. At your price point I'd get a '94-'97 NA8 with LSD and low miles. Keep in mind the newest NAs are nearaly 10 years old and there are lots of age related things that are going to pop up. Some might call such things problems while others simply look at it as an opportunitiy to upgrade.

·
Registered
692 Posts
and like all used cars find out the history to make sure its not a flooded out katrina victim. those make it all the way out to california with regularity. good luck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts