ClubRoadster.net banner

Sound deadener in doors

10K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  donello 
#1 ·
Has anyone else toyed around with sound deadener in their Miata? I grabbed some dynamat-alternative stuff and coated as much of the outer door skin as I could reach and effectively replaced the vapor barrier with it. I have yet to finish the driver's door but the passenger door sounds far more commanding when you close it now, and bass has lost some "boom" and gained "punch" in my music (stock bose speaker with bose 100w amp and pioneer head unit)

See less See more
#6 ·
#3 ·
That's what I keep reading, but any time I see how people apply Dynamat (which is, functionally, the same as what I got) they always seem to cover the door completely, which is how you're supposed to use mass-loaded vinyl. Either way, the thicker material where there used to only be a thin sheet of plastic does seem to help with acoustic response of the sound system, so I guess that's a win.

#5 ·
That looks a lot like the Noico 50mil stuff I am currently installing.

Internet lore says you should use that to limit the vibration of a panel by sticking it directly to the panel. I'm sure it can help some if you just leave it hanging out in space, but it's not really the intended use. Dynomat type stuff limits reverberation of panels, it's not intended to be a one stop solution for making your car quieter.

#7 ·
I've seen people put a somewhat large square of dynamat directly on the inner door skin. The idea is to mass-load the door and quiet the booming. But I've not seen the door frame ever covered like you've done. Though I admit I've never really researched it seriously.

#8 ·
I kept coming across this picture when researching how people have sound-deadened their cars in the past. I figured that since I had so much of this material I might as well emulate it and see if it does any good.

I'm not a good enough driver to notice the extra weight.

#16 ·
This is my Miata and I stand behind the install - it really does change the interior feel of the car, not just for stereo response, but noise in general. My best description has always included a more, "upscale" and "solid" feel to the car. It makes it feel less, "cheap".

For those that complain about the weight of this stuff... make sure to hit the restroom before you drive. Net 0 loss.

#9 ·
Question is, why would you not just cover the whole panel if you had enough material?

I only ever put some on the back side of the door skin and a little around the speakers, but I'm getting to the point to where getting a 50sq ft roll of deadener and doing the entire tub and doors sounds like a good idea.

#14 ·
Doors are probably the most challenging part of sound deadening. Floors and package shelf area are easy because they are flat and generally don't have anything to interfere with your application. Doors on the other hand have lots to work around, unless of course you install it on the inside of the door skin which of course is a challenge getting to in itself. Good luck

#20 ·

Revision 1 of my solution to the excessive wind noise in my Miata. Little bit of stick on foam weather stripping. You can see the crease where the glass meets it. Previously I could see (and feel) daylight through the gap where the hardtop is supposed to meet the car. I highly doubt the durability of this solution and it's fairly ugly so I'll try to find some OEM style rubber weatherstripping and 3M adhesive to stick it to the hardtop

Sent from my Robin using Tapatalk

#21 ·
Has anyone else toyed around with sound deadener in their Miata? I grabbed some dynamat-alternative stuff and Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire coated as much of the outer door skin as I could reach and effectively replaced the vapor barrier with it. I have yet to finish the driver's door but the passenger door sounds far more commanding when you close it now, and bass has lost some "boom" and gained "punch" in my music (stock bose speaker with bose 100w amp and pioneer head unit)
you install it on the inside of the door skin which of course is a challenge getting to in itself. Good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.