ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
100% Jakedashian
6,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My NB has rust. Terminal rust. "Don't drive this car" rust (which I guess is appropriate since it also has "don't drive this car" tires and a "don't drive this car" clutch noise, but I digress). I refer, of course, to the structural front frame rails that have a habit of rusting from the inside out and killing people. The replacement looks like a huge pain but doable but I can't figure out where to order new frame rails. Plenty of threads on this issue, but nobody that says "oh yeah here is where I got the rails from". I have even heard talk of aftermarket/revised frame rails that aren't the idiotic tinfoil sandwich design and are far less prone to rusting out again in the future.

·
100% Jakedashian
6,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Frame rail rust is almost ubiquitous on anything but the most garage-queen NBs due to Mazda making them out of a tin foil sandwich that traps water between the layers and rusts them from the inside. I'd rather spend 3 weeks disassembling the front of my car and welding in $300 worth of frame vs junking a $6000 car and being totally SOL.

Example of damage

Another.

Yet more.

This is more or less the only rust on the car (other than the package shelf where there used to be a leak in the soft top). I would like to at least give a shot at fixing it before throwing in the towel on my car.

·
Administrator
15,259 Posts
Frame rail rust is almost ubiquitous on anything but the most garage-queen NBs due to Mazda making them out of a tin foil sandwich that traps water between the layers and rusts them from the inside. I'd rather spend 3 weeks disassembling the front of my car and welding in $300 worth of frame vs junking a $6000 car and being totally SOL.

Example of damage

Another.

Yet more.

This is more or less the only rust on the car (other than the package shelf where there used to be a leak in the soft top). I would like to at least give a shot at fixing it before throwing in the towel on my car.
My sides have gone into orbit.

I've had..... 4 NBs. None have had rust like that.

·
Administrator
15,259 Posts
Do you have experience doing this sort of repair? I can't imagine a car that needs this sort of repair and isn't a horror show everywhere else, too.

·
100% Jakedashian
6,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a fair bit of MIG experience. It looks relatively foolproof all things considered.

The rest of the car appears rust free. These rails just have a particular sandwich construction prone to rusting from the inside out. Most of those threads make no mention of other rust issues on cars where the front rails are completely toasted.

·
Murse Magnet
7,244 Posts

Example of damage

Another.

Yet more.

You are assuming that a car with that much rust is even worth $6,000. You would be significantly better off buying a different nb and parting out your existing nb. Hell buy a different nb and use your current one as a parts car if the body is as bad as you make it seem.

·
Administrator
15,259 Posts
You are assuming that a car with that much rust is even worth $6,000. You would be significantly better off buying a different nb and parting out your existing nb. Hell buy a different nb and use your current one as a parts car if the body is as bad as you make it seem.
That's what i'm sayin'. That car rust free, and i mean rust free, would struggle to hit $6k. NBs aren't worth anything unless they have wellllll under 100k and are so clean you can eat off any surface.

·
Registered
49 Posts
WOW. Now I'm concerned. I've never seen rust like that on NB frame rails before.

I've never spotted ANY rust on my rails after a fair bit of time under my car; but I wasn't specifically looking for it. It's winter-driven and I'm by the coast... I thought the only rust-prone area on Miatas to be worried about is the rocker panels. Looks like if my rails are still good, I'll probably drill some small holes, fill 'em up with POR-15, then apply some rust inhibitor.

Sorry about your car bro. Best of luck fixing it if you choose to go that route.

·
100% Jakedashian
6,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The $6k number is roughly what I have in it, sorry. Should have clarified. I've gotten trade-in values from dealerships in the $4700 mark. I need to go poking around the frame rails with a screwdriver and see if I can determine the extent of the damage. Maybe stick a boroscope in there. Dunno. Bit dejecting. Had the car pretty much where I wanted it other than the things that were broken.

·
Administrator
15,259 Posts
You have weird dealers around you. Not many will give more than private party book value on trade in.

·
100% Jakedashian
6,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Private party book value in Kansas for one of those is $5.4k

Miatas are stupid pricey around here for some reason. At least; they were a year ago when I got that trade in quote.

So tomorrow I'll poke around the rust with the business end of a screwdriver and see what's what. If it makes holes I'll start coordinating to go to Dallas and pick up a free '01SE shell with 60k miles on it and get to work swapping over my wheels, brakes, differential, trans, engine, interior, etc. after doing extensive rustproofing to the Texas-only car. That's the plan if the worst turns out to be true.

·
Registered
18 Posts
https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=659481

See post #14, I listed the part numbers I purchased to repair my front frame rail rust, and where I bought them.

I plan to repair my rails pretty soon and I'll try to post pics of the whole thing. I am absolutely going to post pics of the replacement parts as I couldnt find any quality pics online to show me exactly which pieces are which to make the repair.

·
100% Jakedashian
6,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=659481

See post #14, I listed the part numbers I purchased to repair my front frame rail rust, and where I bought them.

I plan to repair my rails pretty soon and I'll try to post pics of the whole thing. I am absolutely going to post pics of the replacement parts as I couldnt find any quality pics online to show me exactly which pieces are which to make the repair.
Nice. Thanks. Does your car have any rust other that the frame rails? I'm still fairly doubtful that buying a new car is worth it. The car rusted because it has one particular area that was poorly engineered and prone to rust. Replace that area and you're golden. Not exactly rocket surgery.

·
Administrator
15,259 Posts
Private party book value in Kansas for one of those is $5.4k

Miatas are stupid pricey around here for some reason. At least; they were a year ago when I got that trade in quote.

So tomorrow I'll poke around the rust with the business end of a screwdriver and see what's what. If it makes holes I'll start coordinating to go to Dallas and pick up a free '01SE shell with 60k miles on it and get to work swapping over my wheels, brakes, differential, trans, engine, interior, etc. after doing extensive rustproofing to the Texas-only car. That's the plan if the worst turns out to be true.
I'd check value again. Fixing stuff is cool, sure... but book value has that car at $3000 for trade in, around $4k private party. Today. In your area. Assuming 120k miles, which is probably ballpark.

Car looks nice otherwise from the pictures i saw in the first post of your build thread. Given that those and the pic of it in a ditch are the only pictures i've seen of it, i don't have a strong opinion.

Have pics of how trashed your frame is?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts