ClubRoadster.net banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

100% Jakedashian
Discussion Starter #21
I'm gonna poke it with a screwdriver tonight. From the outside it looks identical to that guy in the Reddit thread.

More or less like this, but the brown spots are bigger. Doesn't look bad, right?

haha nope. That's scary. I'm okay driving a tiny little Miata and a 40 year old car with no airbags but structural issues like that in a unibody car scare the dickens out of me. You can also see there what the problem piece looks like removed, the problematic multi-layer construction, and the spot welds that need drilled out.

Aw, bummer. Looks like the price dropped out. Clean retail is now $5400 and clean trade-in $3525 according to NADA. Ugh.

Murse Magnet
Why not cut your losses. Sell it as is to a dealer if they are willing to pay that much for it and buy yourself one of those Buick slush boxes that you keep lusting after? Miata鈥檚 are too plentiful and easily found to deal with rust as severe as you are implying. Down here you can buy a nice 100k mike nc for that much money or an even nicer nb. I would do so many things before tackling rust.

Administrator
It's worth the same now as a trade in as it will be after the repair. Trade it in now if you're worried about it.

Registered
My car had rusted quarter panels too. I fixed them some time ago though, with pics here;

https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=578166

My front frame is worse than what you pictured. I knew about the rust when I bought the car. I honestly searched for a 2002 Miata (specifically) because I wanted the 1.8 VVT, 6-speed, Torsen diff (not Fuji), power optioned interior, the most chassis bracing of early Miatas... I planned to buy a great looking car with mechanical issues, even though I have PLENTY of experience fabbing and replacing sheetmetal on muscle cars and old VW's. What I ended up with is/was a great running/driving car that is the opposite of what I shopped for. Oh well...

Sadly, I have fixed worse. Far worse.

Administrator
Noticed today that Doward's area there looks about infinity times worse than yours. He doesn't seem to be worried. Being that he works for one of the premier Miata race shops on the planet, i'd say if it was a problem, something would be done.

100% Jakedashian
Discussion Starter #28
Doward?

Anyways, I poked the rust with a pointy object and it didn't go through. Didn't feel soft either so I guess it might not be rusting from the inside out. Gonna hit it with a wire wheel to strip it back to metal and then rustproof it and coat it from there. Should hopefully be okay. Prodded around and crawled all over the front of the car and didn't see anything else concerning.

Registered
I know where to get the replacements but I guess you wouldn't want to pay shipping from czech republic :D

21 - 33 of 33 Posts