ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pm's S3 Miata about his setup, but he has power windows, so fabing up grills like his are out of the question. I've searched Miata.net and on here and haven't really found anyhting. My question is aside from a componet setup, is there anyway to fit aftermarket speakers in this friggin car. I already have a pair of Pioneer TS-D160R that I got for a good price and had in my Miata before, but I had to butcher the factory speaker grills to do so and it was a pain the find replacement grills later. The speakers look like this:

When I had them in my car my window cranks kept hitting the speaker covers and it was down right annoying. Not to mention anyone who walked buy could see that I had some semi-worth stealing speakers. I was hoping to find some generic speaker grills from somewhere, but have been unlucky so. far Any help will be greatly appreciated.

For my setup, I planned on just running an iPod to a 2-channel 75watt amp and power the speakers and no headunit. What do you guys think about it. I am not an audiophile so not being able to adjust the bass and treble won' bother me. :wink:

("Edit, forgot to mention that when I attempted to put the stock speaker grills back on the big tweeters prevented me from snapping the stock grills on securely. I know it would make things easier if I bought a different speaker setup, but I'm trying to squeeze the setup mentioned above into my bugdet")

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
What year is your car? I've got an early NA with the big plastic speaker grilles. I had to modify the back sides of them to fit over my 6.5" coaxials but it works. I plan to redo my door panels and cut a simple round hole for the speakers like on the M2-1001 door panel. I'll either cover with grille cloth or a metal mesh grill from Parts Express.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Well what i did was take the plastic panel off, and remove the "felt" like material that covered the back of the metal grille. This exposed my kenwoods quite nicely, while not making them scream "steal me!". Best of all, it was free.

-Jeremy

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well what i did was take the plastic panel off, and remove the "felt" like material that covered the back of the metal grille. This exposed my kenwoods quite nicely, while not making them scream "steal me!". Best of all, it was free.

-Jeremy
Hmmm. I'll pull my grill off todayand take a look at them. I don't quite get what you're saying.

Thanks for the quick responses.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Take the removable speaker grill in the door, cut the grill out, get a grill like freedomgli posted, and fit that over the hole. This new grill will sit a tiny bit farther out from the speaker, will look a bit better, and won't come in contact with your tweeter when you pop the grill panel over the speaker.
-Ryan

·
Registered
466 Posts
I have done a similar thing in my old car with crank windows. It can be done with either cranks or roll-ups. Sorry, I did not fully understand your question (or answer it properly). Sorry about that.

If you screw the new grill onto the existing cover, you will have about 3/8" to play with. Its not really hard to "mold" the new grill into the factory speaker cover with a bit of body filler and a few hours. You can use the supplied Pioneer grills, but it sounds like that is not an option you would like. You can get a generic grill from parts express, radio shack, or some stereo shops for a few bucks. You might even be able to cut out the stock plastig circle grill with a dremel tool, and used some metal mesh glued in from behind as the new grill. This might be the best option, as you can "form" the mesh to stick out slightly in the center to clear the tweeter.

Hit me with more questions...

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I'll get an extra pair of speaker grills to mess with so I don't mess these ones up. I'm not much for hands on stuff like I used to be. Thanks for the tips guys.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Im VERY hands on now...its all I do. I bulid cars (mostly stereo) in my basement workshop. If you want to send it my way, I can do it for you.... Hit me on email if you wanna discuss
[email protected]

Or just ask more questions, and I can walk (type) you through it as best as I can.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I have the same speakers in my 91 and they fit behind the factory speaker covers just fine.
Really....I'm gonna go play with them again. I wonder if the door panels are any different for power windows vs. crankers?
if it is a buzzing sound like its hitting plastic, check and make sure that the speaker is centered. I had a problem with my kenwoods where they werent exactly in the middle of the grille, and at full excursion they would hit not the grille... but the little plastic "lip" around it. My current Alpine Type S's (kenwoods took a dive) did tap the surround initially because they werent centered either, and instead of drilling new holes. I played with the panel a little bit, and pretty much solved the issue by loosening a few of the little "pop" pieces that hold the door panel on. They are still not "perfectly" centered, but they no longer tap the plastic surround.

-Jeremy

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finally got it. I cut out the plastic circles that supported the mesh part of the speaker covers, then I bent them out word just a bit to play it safe. Snapped everything back on and now they fit nice and snug. I image that I will have to buy something to keep the speakers from rattling as I did have that problem before. You guys are awesome, thanks for all of the tips. Now I'm off to Fry's Electronics to buy a deck, since some jerk off stole my last one.

·
Registered
466 Posts
If the speaker itself is ratteling...you can get a Dynamat Speaekr Kit for like $15-20....if THAT is too much for you, you could try some foam from a Craft/Hobby Store....some place that sells fabric and such. Get something like 1/4 or 1/2 inch foam. Cut it about 1/" larger (diameter) than the speaker outer, and maybe 1/6" in less on the inner. You will have a foam "dounut" ring. Hold that in place while you screw the speaker to the door metal. It will act like a gasket.

or scrap carpet
or foam weather stripping

Something like that should do the trick!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts