ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Mufasa in Training
33,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Like the title says, I'm looking for a road bike to ride to work instead of making 4mi round trips in the Civic. That said, I'm not too familiar with what to look for or how much I can expect.

As for getting the proper sized bike, I have a 85cm inseam. I assume that would affect what size frame I should be looking for. How does one figure it out from there?

What should I expect to spend? The bike doesn't have to be super light (it's not like I have to carry it up stairs or anything). Much like wheels, I presume weight and price have an inverse ratio.

Can someone lend me a hand here? Thank you for your time :)

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
How fancy do you want to get. If you are just looking for transportation start going to garage sales. You can find some pretty good deals for bikes that are in good condition.

·
Mufasa in Training
33,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How fancy do you want to get. If you are just looking for transportation start going to garage sales. You can find some pretty good deals for bikes that are in good condition.
I'm thinking just basic transportation. I'm not going to be racing about or anything...just need to get to work and back. Nothing too fancy.

How much should I expect for a used bike in decent condition?

·
Mufasa in Training
33,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the suggestions, folks. How should I go about sizing a proper bike for myself?

·
Registered
519 Posts
get a kawi ninja250, lol
:D Get a motorbike! It's so much fun that I had thoughts of selling the roadster.

Ninja 250's are 50mpg+ and you could practically sell it for the same price you bought it. People are always looking for a 250.

As for bicycles, perhaps visit your local bike shop and sit on a few?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
if your anywhere near a real roadracing/mtb bike shop they have a rig you can sit on and they can adjust it to you to get your measurements. its pretty cool then just take those numbers and find a "over the counter" bike that fits it pretty close.

the stand over height should be noted on most bikes, I use that. inseam -2"= stand over height. then just adjust everything else from there.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I just pulled my bike out of the garage last week. I haven't touched it since I was 13 :p I think it was from Walmart, and I still have a sweet nameplate on the back from 1998.

I wouldn't get a motor bike when I could get excercise and pay for no gas or payments if i lived only 4 miles from work.

·
Mufasa in Training
33,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
if your anywhere near a real roadracing/mtb bike shop they have a rig you can sit on and they can adjust it to you to get your measurements. its pretty cool then just take those numbers and find a "over the counter" bike that fits it pretty close.

the stand over height should be noted on most bikes, I use that. inseam -2"= stand over height. then just adjust everything else from there.
Thanks for the info, Sid :)

·
Registered
600 Posts
check out the salvation army. seriously.i got a nice old race bike for 50 bucks almost mint condition

1 - 15 of 15 Posts