ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Esteemed Member
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone ever tried a spec miata catback for there autocross car, Im considering it for it being cheap, lightweight, and puting out good power. Just wanting to here opinions..

·
Registered
489 Posts
spec miata exhaust? You mean a straight pipe? They sound like complete ass, but yeah, light and cheap.
Umm no, actually most are at least resonated to meet the maximum noise level rule. Most are also tuned on a dyno. Some builders are expermenting with internal fan systems that use the spent gasses to "draw" themselves out.

·
Miata Master
2,138 Posts
i have the mazdacomp catback. its made by brospeed. i use it on my street car. i like it not overbaringly loud

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well of course the Spec Miata exhaust is suppose to be obnoxious it is a race car. They do have to meet the noise level per each race track. You get away with a loud exhaust by looking for the 2 guys on the side of the track with the mic and turn your elbow pipe away from the mic. I raced many times while I lived in FL and that is what everyone down there did. I even used a few Miata's that I knew that was to loud. I know the Mazdacomp one isn't that loud. The straight pipe ones can be very loud. I am now building my '91 Miata as a Spec.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I'll have one soon... a club member has one, went back to stock. I'm picking it up from him next week to try out. If it's not too loud, I'll keep it.
It's a straight pipe from the cat, back to a small muffler in the stock location. Will post pics when I get it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
anyone ever tried a spec miata catback for there autocross car, Im considering it for it being cheap, lightweight, and puting out good power. Just wanting to here opinions..
I'm running one in my 91. First in E Stock Solo2, now in STS2.

Here's a pic.

My original thoughts after installation were:
"It's pretty light and really well made by Bosal. I hope it adds some horsepower and that it's not too loud.
Update: Spec Miata System is 5 pounds lighter than OEM. It is 2 times louder, but has a nice low burble at idle and an aggressive ripping sound during hard acceleration. Bad part is a droning at partial throttle between 3000 and 4000 RPM."

The sound level differences between stock and the Spec Miata are very noticable. When I first put it in I thought it was too loud and would switch back and forth between AutoXs. It does improve top end a little and being lighter is a plus.

It does set off car alarms as I drive by so that's an indication of the sound levels. My 17 year old son loves the sound and noise level. After two plus years continously in the car I've grown to love it too. The droning at highway speeds (3000-4000 rpm) could irritate some folks.

·
Mufasa in Training
31,130 Posts
I'll have one soon... a club member has one, went back to stock. I'm picking it up from him next week to try out. If it's not too loud, I'll keep it.
It's a straight pipe from the cat, back to a small muffler in the stock location. Will post pics when I get it.
:lol: So you decided to go for it, eh?

·
Registered
971 Posts
:lol: So you decided to go for it, eh?
Well the price is right... and it'll give me something to do other than sit around!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts