ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 320 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend's SM went up for sale since his wife is only letting him have one car and he chose to track/DD his '08 Sti instead of his SM, crazy huh?

I had a Civic hatch that I was trying to make track-worthy but I kept running into BS problems because the car was pretty abused by previous owners (ricers). I liked the Civic but I just got tired of fixing it. It wasn't a huge pain in the ass or anything but I only drove it at the track so I only broke things at the track and I just want to drive.

The Miata was proven, sorted, reliable, and for the price a no-brainer.So I pulled the wheels/tires, seat and steering wheel off the hatch and sold the rest of the car for $2000 to get the ball rolling on Miata funds.

I really want to make it look cool but I know I need to learn to drive better before I start throwing parts at it so that's the plan. I'm sure I'll have purchased something stupid in the next 6 months but at this point in time, my intentions are pure. That being said, I have zero intentions of ever racing in a SM event and I want to lower it another half inch or so (as long as the suspension doesn't suffer), get some flares, a GV lip, stupid-tall GT wing and some other tidbits here and there and I'll be gayer than gay.

Some pics of it pre-ownership:

Then I picked up these from another friend who was selling his K20R'd EG for an Sti... :whistle:

got the car home and swapped wheels:

Then, at home on a sickday, bored, I ended up taking the top off just to do it and then spontaneously started painting cage... I'm going to finish it this weekend when we're taking the Kirkey out to mount my SPG so it'll be seatless for a bit.

Took it down the street for some sweet dead-end shots. I can't go any further than that because it has no plate. :eek:

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice!

Look up Slevin's car, he may have done what you plan to do.

Chill on 'gay' a bit, too.
I've seen Slevin's, I think we're pretty much on the same page. :)

Sorry, most of this was a copy+paste from my local forum so I wanted to beat them to the punch and get it out of the way.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Interesting cage layout.
They got lazy on the dash bar. lol The rear supports are odd too. I've never seen them come together like that. :|

She's a clean toy, though. The Civic was nice too!

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He's just happy
Yap!

Interesting cage layout. Looks like you've got a fun toy there.
Thanks man. :)

They got lazy on the dash bar. lol The rear supports are odd too. I've never seen them come together like that. :|

She's a clean toy, though. The Civic was nice too!
Any pics of a "normal" cage setup for a Miata? I'd like to see how different mine is since someone on another forum made a dash bar comment too. The rear supports cross right as the disappear into the trunk and terminate on either side of the spare tire hole.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Any pics of a "normal" cage setup for a Miata? I'd like to see how different mine is since someone on another forum made a dash bar comment too. The rear supports cross right as the disappear into the trunk and terminate on either side of the spare tire hole.
The rear supports usually go straight back like this (diagonal or x bars are optional/addable) and the dash bar usually goes underneath the dashboard.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We modified the Springfield Dyno SM exhaust. It used to just dump behind the diff now it exits the stock location through my little 2.5" Blox muffler that I originally bought for the wagon. It really doesn't muffle very well but I dig the way it looks and since I don't plan on cruising this thing too much but I figure worst case scenario if I want it to quiet down some I'll just get some v-band clamps, pick up an in-line muffler and swap it out between the resonator that's already on it.

Also pulled the Kirkey and installed my SPG, I think that I'm actually sitting a pit higher now, despite our best efforts of cutting out the stock seat brackets and essentially mounting the Recaro to the floor. We'll see how this works out, I really don't want to sell the SPG but if a Kirkey is what I need then I'll have to buy one that fits me better than the one that was in it.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Is the height giving you line of site issues? Otherwise I would not worry about it.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yum keep the SPG. I'm slightly biased though :) . I had custom brackets made and am quite low.
I'm not custom brackets too. Left side is on the factory Recaro sidemount and the right side is on two brackets that are welded to the floor where we deleted the factory mount and hammered the hump down. It's pretty much on the floor. :(

Is the height giving you line of site issues? Otherwise I would not worry about it.
My helmet is hitting the cage padding.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Forgot I haven't posted here in a while... My buddy didn't want it anymore and I like GT wings, sue me.

Obviously we've got to figure out a mounting solution but I refuse to run this without flares and some form of lip/Splitter/both so I'm not really worried about it until then.

1 - 20 of 320 Posts