ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A reboot of my other build thread because that one was filled with bad photos and was simply a mess. This is a super slow build, but one filled with love.

Back in February of 2013, I had saved up 2500 as a 17 year old. Looked high and low for a Mariner Blue, bumped the WTB thread like I had OCD (as some of you might remember-- I'd imagine it was pretty annoying.) A dude with 0 posts messaged me- he was going to Korea, and wanted the money instead of letting the car sit.

The car sat.

For a month, until his brother finally contacted me to pick it up. I jumped on it. It's not a perfect car by any means, but it was mechanically worthy and the paint was pretty damn good. The interior was flawless, and the best part- everything was stock.

The only modifications were a power antenna that replaced the power outlet (I still need to fix that crap[EDIT: FIXED IT! WOO! I CAN CHARGE MY PHONE!]. I deleted the antenna long ago but haven't got around to reinstalling a stock outlet) and making up for the lack of antenna by running alligator clips and wires through the trunk. **** almost caught fire.

It also had a different headunit, GV rep lip, project g shift boots, and soft top with glass window (with a small but patched rip.)

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I bought coilovers, then went through a year of making money through gigs only, which allowed me to buy things inconsistently- mostly cheap stuff. Some of the buys I made were fantastic- like my muffler- and some were questionable, like my decision to plastidip my daisies. This is while I was still in my "stance" phase, and I'm very grateful I didn't have enough money to slam my car on wide wheels, because my frame rails and underside are still pretty damn good. I found lots of budget items. Ryoku Rob towhook for $20, Momo Team wheel for $100, muffler for $30.

Then my car got hit. It was just the fender, thankfully- but it was bent so bad the wheel wouldn't clear, so I was forced to run fenderless due to a lack of money.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Amelia stayed pretty much like that for quite some time- almost a year. She had her clutch replaced, and oil changes done regularly, but other than that almost no modifications came.

Then I got an actual not-an-under-the-table job in August of 2014, and the modifications started rolling in again. Picked up racing beat sway bars, roadster door sills, and a radiator cooling panel.

Soon after that, I decided to talk to Adam (revlimiter) and ask for a quote on a completely custom set. I had the idea planned in my head for the longest time, and I wanted to see how much it would cost. That's all I was planning to do, to be honest. But Adam convinced me that the best time would be before thanksgiving, so I agreed, and I fell in love. I literally chased down mail trucks for two hours once I saw the shipping status was "out for delivery" because I was so excited.

Photo credits are obviously for Adam, who, aside from designing the coolest miata parts, has a knack for brilliant shots...

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So now here's how the car looks. The wheels I ordered in September finally came in- after almost 6 months. Had them promptly wrapped up in 205/50/15 Federal 595 RSR's. They look fantastic, and ride like a dream. This picture also shows my taillights that were sprayed red- I really need to do them over and wetsand them to perfection.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The front bumper was backed into, shattering the turn signal. So I used that as an opportunity to purchase the tinted turn signals, and much prefer the look of them compared to the OEM turn signals :D

MOAR PICS!

Also visible in the above picture are the vents @tjay187 3dprinted for me, my skunk2 shift knob coupled with a GarageStar shift extender, and IL motorsport pedals :D

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also picked up some under-the-hood goodies- like a Capri valve cover and a Jackson Racing Header! :)

And that's it up to this point in time!
I'd love to track it by the end of this year, and that's my goal :)

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
She sat the same way for a while, until I picked up carbonmiata vented headlight lids. The fitment is ehh, and the headlight surrounds wouldn't fit until I trimmed them, but I'm not one to obsess over small things so I adjusted it as much as I could and we were in business. They stayed unpainted for a while...

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Then I got them painted! Unfortunately, my car got hit again, for the third time, so this fender became toast. I was a mess for a couple days, until I decided to suck it up and go through yet another fender-finding process.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I found another fender, and the silver lining is I just picked up a hardtop! So yesterday afternoon, the hardtop and fender were dropped in for paint, and I'm so stoked!

There's so much I've missed mentioning in this build thread, but I'll try to be more punctual in the future :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Looks great it sucks you keep getting hit tho, the last few pictures i couldnt see, and much like a previous commenter said "im a sucker for mariners"

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the love guys! Yeah, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't paranoid of people hitting me now :/

As for the pictures not showing up, that's sorta weird! Maybe you're on a mobile device?

I got the hardtop painted and my new fender painted as well as mentioned before, and got a KG Works wing for Amelia so aesthetically I'm very happy how she sits right now.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Took Amelia up to Angeles Crest Highway on Veteran's Day, and since it was closed midway I took a detour which took me to Valyermo, CA. It was a fantastic drive, I highly recommend it to anyone living in SoCal. The wing and hardtop are also more clearly visible!

·
Registered
128 Posts
I like the way you're going with this. As much as I feel like people love crazy builds I love that all the little pieces add up to one great car. Also jealous how clean CA miatas are. Took me forever and an arm and a leg to find one on the east coast as clean as the one I bought.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I like the way you're going with this. As much as I feel like people love crazy builds I love that all the little pieces add up to one great car. Also jealous how clean CA miatas are. Took me forever and an arm and a leg to find one on the east coast as clean as the one I bought.
Yeah, I so agree! I see a lot of builds that are performed so drastically and so quickly that within a year they're parted out and sold. I want to go slow, and do tiny details in my build that will add up. I want to make an average person say, "something looks different-- but what!?"

Glad you found a clean car! I myself wanted blue, so it took me quite a few months to find mine. The search is a killer, but it's so goddamn satisfying once you find one.

Hi Mikey!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts