ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 92 1.6 with 165k miles on it. The tranny and rear end are stock although I do have 15" 6UL wheels on i. Lately my speedo needle has been shaking and bouncing at speeds over. My tach needle doesn't do this. Is this a sign of impending doom? Anyone ever experienced this problem before?

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
My speedo cable is making a scretching noise. Like if im opening and closing a sqeaky door really fast lol.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Its time for a new cable; I only have 90K on mine its is hosed up too it's accurate till 45mph. I only realized this just recently as I was going down the express way and everyone was passing me. I was like damn I'm doing 70 in a 65 and I'm being passed. So I grabed the GPS went for a ride and 70 is like 64 and 80 is like 73.. argh!!

I'm wondering how much of a pain in the rear it is to change it..

·
Registered
727 Posts
It ain't to bad to replace, there's a video on you tube that shows you how to do it this is very common miata problem. Think the video was by miata king or something

·
Registered
625 Posts
Good to know. Mine started doing that this fall as well. I thought it was an installation error on my part, but this explains it better.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You guys rock!

·
Mostly Harmless
1,540 Posts
The Speedo cable in my 90 has been screeching for a few years, now. I have a new cable just hanging out...waiting. It's been waiting for two years so far. Poor thing...

sent with two turntables and a microphone

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Speedo cable in my 90 has been screeching for a few years, now. I have a new cable just hanging out...waiting. It's been waiting for two years so far. Poor thing...

sent with two turntables and a microphone
I feel your pain Jux. I have a six speed sitting on the cold garage floor giving me those big weepy eyes and asking why it doesn't get to go to the track ...

·
Registered
509 Posts
If you dont feel like replacing it for some reason I heard its possible to grease it up for a few more months of life. Someone else on the forum was saying there is a special speedo grease too but dont quote me on it.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
My speedo did this, then it started to squeak real bad, then one day it stopped, and I was happy.
Mine always squeaked, then one day not too long ago it died. At the time I didn't feel like fixing it so I just downloaded a speedometer app on my phone and velcro the phone to the dash while driving. Now I have no motivation to get the speedo fixed.

·
Registered
945 Posts
If you dont feel like replacing it for some reason I heard its possible to grease it up for a few more months of life. Someone else on the forum was saying there is a special speedo grease too but dont quote me on it.
Its a motorcycle grease for their cables. Also the Honda Shin-Etso grease works wonders.... on anything, haha

·
Registered
460 Posts
this is what my speedo does, randomly drops to 0 and stays there for a few seconds. still haven't fixed it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts