101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have anyone tried on spoon wheels?

appearently they are only 8.6lbs, 15x6.5 and 4x100 @@

I have a local seller selling for 1600cdn... that's roughly around 1300usd

with rubbers

·
3,857 Posts
There are at least three questions that you have to answer (I'm in my 5th set of wheels now so I speak from experience)
1) Do you like them?
2) Do you NEED them?
3) Do you have the money?

·
CR.net Supporter
1,390 Posts
gunwoo had desmond regamaster evos. spoon sw388s were just rebadged and different color. Both are discontinued and NLA. IIRC they came in 45 and 35 offset. I'd rather have the +35.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are at least three questions that you have to answer (I'm in my 5th set of wheels now, the I speak from experience)
1) Do you like them?
2) Do you NEED them?
3) Do you have the money?
1) yes
2) yes ---> I need them because it will satisfy my id
3) no ---> you can never have enough money for car parts

·
3,857 Posts
I was more asking about if you NEED them for a competition (autox etc) or just because you like them...
I wouldn't risk driving everyday around town with superlight rims...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^lol ok i know, I was just trying to convince myself that i need them

arn't those wheels forged?

if it is, then it should be pretty solid for daly driving

·
3,857 Posts
One comment here about the forged wheels.

From what I suspect, there are some standards about how strong a wheel should be...
Now with 8.8lbs of aluminum the wheel can't be strong enough to be street drivable, unless it's forged.

So it's not that they are taking a 15 lbs wheel and they are making it forged - now that would be tough.

Btw One thing that I noticed it that the wheels that are getting sold in Germany (and have to pass some TUV testing regarding rigidity) they are in general 4-5lbs heavier. Now I bet some of the superlight wheels out there won't be able to pass similar testing...

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Those wheels are nice. They are plenty strong to drive around on. The weight of a wheel has nothing to do with its rigidity/durability. The RPF1 are 9lb and they are only semi forged. Volk TE in 14" or 15" only weight 7lb. All streetable wheels and JWL approved. From what I know, the Spoon ones are forged aluminum, but the RegaMaster came in forged aluminum and magnisium.

·
3,857 Posts
The weight of a wheel has nothing to do with its rigidity/durability.
I wouldn't agree with that, even though I agree that there also other factors than weight (like the design or the materials) -and I think that's what you are trying to say... but we can not say that weight and rigidity are unrelated.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I am sorry. I don't mean to thread jack, but I just want to clear things up a bit.

MaxPower, the weight of a wheel has nothing has nothing to do with it's rigidity/durability. Traditionally speaking, a forged wheel will be lighter than a typical cast wheel, due to its forging process to pack more material into a smaller area, eliminating the air gap between molecules, creating a denser and more durable product. And because of material being stronger after forged, the manufacturer is able to creat wheel design that can bring weight saving, such as thinner, smaller or fewer spokes, and thinner hubs. Therefore, resulting in a lighter final product, in comparison to possibly a cast wheel of the same size.

Billet aluminum wheel are also typically heavier than a forged aluminum wheel, but forged wheel usually being stronger. Running a heavier wheel doesn't mean that it will be able to take more punishment, on the street or track.

·
3,857 Posts
Which is what I just wrote...that there also other factors than weight (like the design or the materials) :)

If you still believe that there isn't any correlation between weight and rigidity try to keep all the other factor same ;)

Same wheel design same technology... would a forged 8lbs wheel be more rigid than 12lbs forged wheel of the same material?
If yes then you can say that weight and rigidity are not related!

Now what I just explained is that if you have two wheels of same design that they both weight 15lbs and one of them is forged it would be stronger..
But the question here is how much stronger (if any) would be a 8lbs wheel compared with an 13,5lbs, and I doubt if it would be any stronger.
Now if you think that even normal wheels do bent on streets, how would you feel if you had to special order a new rim from Japan and pay $$$ when sh*t happens?

Back to the topic
Since there are a lot of replicas out there make sure (if you buy the wheels) that they are original...

·
Whiskey makes me Frisky
4,545 Posts
Have anyone tried on spoon wheels?

appearently they are only 8.6lbs, 15x6.5 and 4x100 @@

I have a local seller selling for 1600cdn... that's roughly around 1300usd

with rubbers
I like them as long as they are black and sitting on an earlier honda say 89-94. I am suprised no one has yelled out "weak offset" yet either.

Something doesnt look quite right though when they are on a miata, be it an NA or NB, maybe thats b/c I see as spoon parts fitting honda "only" same as nismo being linked with nissan etc etc.

Do as you like though. A set of spacers might help with the front wheel drive offset.

·
CR.net Supporter
1,390 Posts
i believe the SW388's are magnesium. my bro ran those as his daily driver wheel for about a year and half on Yokohama A032R's. every day... except snow.
Nope. They are aluminum. Made in Russia at a former missle manufaturing factory. I was the first person in the USA to own a set. Went to Spoon in Tokyo and talked with the president, and carried it back on the airplane. Lost my Civic before I could install em, sold em to a friend. :cry:

·
3,857 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts