ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
I would have watermarked the hell out of that image, it's going to get passed around so much now.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Hopefully they fixed the concept's gawd awful bottom feeder mouth/nose. It's hard to tell when they mask the nose because they may have added stuff under the bra to change the shape of that huge snorkel.

·
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
True, but the Supra didn't cost over 70K. When you get to that level and beyond, the competition is entirely different and people buy cars based of pedigree and heritage. I just don't see anyone that is shopping for a Porsche, Aston, Z06 or used Ferraris is going to think,"Hey, what about that boy-racer's-wet-dream GT-R!"

Case in point. Acura NSX, was one of the best-handling (and looking) cars available, yet, never turned a profit and died off with miserable sales.

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
True, but the Supra didn't cost over 70K. When you get to that level and beyond, the competition is entirely different and people buy cars based of pedigree and heritage. I just don't see anyone that is shopping for a Porsche, Aston, Z06 or used Ferraris is going to think,"Hey, what about that boy-racer's-wet-dream GT-R!"

Case in point. Acura NSX, was one of the best-handling (and looking) cars available, yet, never turned a profit and died off with miserable sales.
I am pretty sure Honda didn't plan on setting sales records with the NSX to begin with.

·
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
True, but the Supra didn't cost over 70K.
If you take inflation into account, it was pretty close - about $50,000 in 1993, which according to the government's consumer price index calculator, would be $69700 as of 2006.
I wouldn't call the Supra a success, nor was the FD RX-7, the Mitsubushi 3000GT, or the NSX. Sorry but not enough people are willing to dish that kind of money for a japanese sports car, 35k seems to to be the cap, just look at the WRX, Evols, S2K and 350z. Anything over 50k and you're into Lotus, Vette and Porsche county. And I'm willing to bet people that are shopping for those marque brands will not be willing to say, "I drive a Nissan", unless they're a zit-faced 18 year-old rich boy.

Who wants to make bets on how heavy the GT-R will be? I say 3400lbs.

·
CR.net Supporter
293 Posts
Who wants to make bets on how heavy the GT-R will be? I say 3400lbs.
I wouldn't bet against that. With all the technical wizardry and all-wheel drive, I'd say that's a pretty good guess. I have a bad feeling that dollar for dollar it won't be a good matchup against a Z06, not that they're direct competitors. I could be wrong though. Chevy was gloating about it's Nürburgring times with the Z06 way before it came out. Just over 3,100lbs. with 505 horses will be an amazing feat to overcome.

·
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
redroadster, exactly. Anyone that is going to spend that much money is not going to be a fan-boy. He/she will not care if it's been in F&F or popular in Japan, or has the latest techno-gadgets. The Z06, IMO, is the benchmark for ANY sports car above 50k. It's a tough one to beat.

·
CR.net Supporter
293 Posts
Yup. I've heard that it'll be badged as a Nissan and not an Infiniti? If that's the case, they really should focus on weight and power and not so much all the technology, innovation, and comfort. Nissan GT-R should = pure sportscar with beating the Z06 as the goal. Infiniti GT-R should = what we're probably gonna get instead. I'm glad we're getting it and I can't wait, but I hope it doesn't turn out to be a bust. I'd like it to be more than just a halo car.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Having been a Nissan driver/enthusiast for as long as I can remember (waaaay before many users here could even drive, probably)...

I think that there will definitely be people willing to spend $60-70k for a "Nissan". It may not be as prestigious as a used Porsche, etc....it may not perform as well as a Vette...it may be way more expensive compared to 350Z, S2000, etc...

BUT...the "GTR" name definitely has heritage & history behind it. And people like me (but w/ more money, hahaha) who grew up idolizing this dream machine would probably shell out the dough for it.

And, like someone already mentioned...special models like this (and NSX, Supra, RX7, etc.) are less about actual profit and more about promoting the brand image. Of course, it'd be nice to make some money in the process...but its not the main goal.

Personally, though...now that they're attainable in the U.S...I don't know if I'd buy a new GTR or a used, imported R32/33/34. They have a higher "cool factor" and slightly less expensive.

Hmmm...time for me to get rid of the G35 & Miata...heheheh!!! =P

·
Registered
718 Posts
Yup. I've heard that it'll be badged as a Nissan and not an Infiniti? If that's the case, they really should focus on weight and power and not so much all the technology, innovation, and comfort. Nissan GT-R should = pure sportscar with beating the Z06 as the goal. Infiniti GT-R should = what we're probably gonna get instead. I'm glad we're getting it and I can't wait, but I hope it doesn't turn out to be a bust. I'd like it to be more than just a halo car.
+1.

and I hate 20" wheels. it's too bad the car needs them to look properly proportioned. :cry: and to have the brakes fit. #-o

if i had the money, I'd rather buy an Evo X and an Elise.

·
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
tc...

BUT...the "GTR" name definitely has heritage & history behind it. And people like me (but w/ more money, hahaha) who grew up idolizing this dream machine would probably shell out the dough for it.
Thats the thing, where's the market for it? You WOULD buy IF you had the money. People like us (18-35 age group) cannot afford a 70K+ car unless we were born with a silver spoon or were involved with Google or Youtube. That's why WRXs, Evols and 350zs are successful, they are priced very well and are hitting an age/income bracket that can afford them. The Supra, 300z, FD and 3000GT did not, that's why they died off. And you gotta be kidding if you think they built those cars without the intention of making money. There was nothing spectacular about those overweight highway cruisers, not one technological advancement and built by robots. The sole exception being the NSX. Honda built it with an all-aluminum body, hand-massaged engine and lightweight in mind.

The GTR heritage & history? When was the last time it won any race outside of Japan? Has it won at Le mans? Rolex 24 Hours? But what do people normally associate the GT-R name with? Gran Turismo and Fast & Furious. Unfortunately, by pricing the GT-R beyond what it's fanbase can afford, it will be revered by fanboys and be brushed off by people that can truly afford it.

The GTR should've been priced 45k and like redroadster said, two models. One for enthusiasts and one for the VIP crowd. And to think, they ALMOST had it right with the pigly 350z!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts