ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Miata
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have a garage so I have to wait until spring to work on the Miata.
I can't wait to start tinkering.

I have drawer at work that is 4 ft across 18 inches deep and 8 inches high. I need to get some photos of it.
I have it filled with small mods and upgrades.

My list as far as I remember.
Brainstorm fuel lid. (I had to fab a new hinge from scratch.) Taught myself how to weld "thin" stainless--woo hoo!
Hella dual horns. Bought used, straightened and repainted the grills red. Ebay
New ignition switch.- Rockauto
(Customized by me) M edition dash cluster and real oil gauge sender.
Knee light for passenger side as my 96 does not have one. I want another for driver side.
Ford valve cover that I painted Ford blue and sanded the raised parts.
Paintless dent tool to remove hail damage. Another learn as I go project.
LED reverse and brake lights.
Clear lens for dome light.
Upgrade the windshield washer system. Relocating custom tank, all new hoses / check valves and a Mercedes pump.
Plans to remove intake brace and probably charcoal canister.

Working on plans to go to co workers house in spring for the one hole in rocker. He has a lift and all the tools to fab panels
I am looking into painting the orange on the tail lights red. Not 100% on this yet.
Just for fun I got a price on getting my car wrapped in a tie dye pattern. About $1800. Not happening any time soon.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Sounds like lots of work, hope you enjoy it! How did you customize the cluster?

·
Registered
96 Miata
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was subtle changes. I took an early cluster and a M edition and made one from the two. I also added LED's
I made a M edition with a real oil gauge and the chrome rings from the early cluster. The early bezel eliminates the spaces for the unused warning lights (abs, washer fluid, rear defroster). I painted the rear of the airbag light lens black to solve that issue. I set the odometer to be close to mine. The white LED's make the needles glow white withe the green backgound. I like the contrasting colors. In real life the green is not so vibrant as in the photo. I used blue LED's for the turn indicators. Overall it is a cleaner look.

·
Registered
545 Posts
It was subtle changes. I took an early cluster and a M edition and made one from the two. I also added LED's
I made a M edition with a real oil gauge and the chrome rings from the early cluster. The early bezel eliminates the spaces for the unused warning lights (abs, washer fluid, rear defroster). I painted the rear of the airbag light lens black to solve that issue. I set the odometer to be close to mine. The white LED's make the needles glow white withe the green backgound. I like the contrasting colors. In real life the green is not so vibrant as in the photo. I used blue LED's for the turn indicators. Overall it is a cleaner look.
Oh yeah, you'd posted this elsewhere. Solid work!

·
Registered
96 Miata
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I am happy with the results on the cluster. Especially since it was relatively cheap compared to other options for custom clusters.

Most of the mods are little details. A few hours here and there. Stuff to keep my brain busy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts