ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I need some advice. I'm using a recruiter to find a new job she's been faster and more effective than I originally planned.

I'm still working, and my current job doesn't know I'm looking. Though I plan on giving them as much possible notice as possible (I really like where I work and my bosses, but it's time for some change).

I have 2 interviews lined up already, and am planning on being "sick" for one of them. The other, which is next week, I'm not sure how to get out of work. I've never been one to take much vacation time or sick time. It's a lunch interview, but I figure it'll probably take 2 hours. Plus, I have to give myself 10 minutes to get home and put on a suit and tie. So that'll be much longer than my alloted one hour lunch.

So the question boils down to this: how do I go about interviewing without disappearing from work a whole lot? Just keep taking sick/vacation time?

I can probably say I'm going snowboarding and take a 3-day weekend (the lunch interview is yet-to-be-scheduled). If there are many more interviews (and hopefully there are, at least for these two positions), I'm not sure what I'll do, though it doesn't look like I have much choice other than to take vacation time and try to explain them away somehow...

Any insight/advice is appreciated!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would just tell your current job that you are looking for something better and will need to sporadicly take time off for interviews.
hrm, that'd definitely be the best thing to do, except i'm not absolutely certain i'll land another job. not that i lack confidence, but i know what the local job market is like...

i'd hate to tell them but then not get an offer somewhere. that would be embarrasing, to say the least. #-o

·
Registered
490 Posts
I've used just about every excuse to get time off to go to interviews. I've personally never called in sick, I try to give my current company some heads-up, but luckily I don't have to have an excuse to take personal time or days off. If its sudden I just say I have to go to a funeral. Reality is no one asks.

I would advise against telling your current employer that you are looking around. They don't really like that much. Assuming you work a real job and since you're using a recruiter sounds like you do.

Try to interview off hours or do multiple per day.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Well, you could say that you need more money and that this newer position pays better and has flexible hours.

Who knows, your current employer might offer to pay you more just to keep you.

But if you only worked there for a year or less, you could say that a relative needs your help. Or that you have a family emergency.

·
Esteemed Member
2,930 Posts
I wouldnt flat out tell them you are looking for another job. Make something up, say you have a dentist/doctors appointment or something.

You never know how they would take something like that, Ive seen some bosses go off the deep end and just tell the person they can leave that day. Who knows if they happen to have an application from someone filed away with the same qualifications as yourself just waiting for an open position? You just dont know what could happen, business is business.

The time to tell your employer IMO is after you are pretty sure you have another job lined up. Give them the standard 2+ weeks notice. It sounds like you've got a good working relationship so expect a counter offer.

If you're lucky, they wont be able to come close to what the new job may offer you. $$$

·
Registered
104 Posts
never let your boss know what your doing!
if your going for interviews for a new job and you tell your boss it might be a problem if you dont land your new job.your old job might lay you off first.if there having any problems.but this is only if you want to leave.if you want a higher pay tell them.

·
Registered
100 Posts
you have a doctor's appointment?
you had a flat tire while out to lunch (rub hands on tire for "blackened" effect
you had a hose blow (rub tire again)
you got a ticket on the way back, and the cop took forever to fill out the paperwork
if you line up multiple interviews on back to back days, the restaurant you ate at had an attempted robbery, and you need a few days off to re-collect yourself

if you don't like any of those, I'm sure I can come up with some more

·
Registered
46 Posts
if you line up multiple interviews on back to back days, the restaurant you ate at had an attempted robbery, and you need a few days off to re-collect yourself
I dont think that would work, because attempted robberys tend to make it into the news (In my area at least). And claiming that there was a robbery and nothing on the news would look pretty suspicious.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I was worried about that, but seeing as he's in cali., it could be a much larger area, and thus, need to be a bigger headline to make the news. Don't know where Irvine is though...

·
Registered
274 Posts
I just went through this. Except I was traveling an hour to work everyday with my job, but I was looking for jobs 10-20 minutes the OPPOSITE way of work from my house... so there was NO way I could go to the interview and work in the same day, that's almost 3 hours of travel alone! Not to mention interviewing and changing.

Kharma smacked me in the rear. I took a sick day for one, we had a firm holiday on another, a personal for another, and then I really DID get sick. I was out for over a week stuck in bed! But luckily I got a call back for a second interview with one place literally the afternoon of the last day I had a note to stay home. I went in, got a call back soon after, and put in the two weeks.

Obviously, rumors will fly, but you don't have to explain to anyone when/why you really took off, or when you interviewed. Just ask for a couple personal days and say you don't normally use vacation time, and feel like taking a day to relax, but more than a day is overwhelming when you return to work... so you'd like to space them out.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Obviously, rumors will fly, but you don't have to explain to anyone when/why you really took off, or when you interviewed. Just ask for a couple personal days and say you don't normally use vacation time, and feel like taking a day to relax, but more than a day is overwhelming when you return to work... so you'd like to space them out.
her words of advice are good,the refined version of mine.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you have a doctor's appointment?
you had a flat tire while out to lunch (rub hands on tire for "blackened" effect
you had a hose blow (rub tire again)
you got a ticket on the way back, and the cop took forever to fill out the paperwork

if you don't like any of those, I'm sure I can come up with some more
lol, you guys are awesome! my car stands out (being the only miata, and people notice it) so the flat tire won't work unless i actually use the spare. but car troubles is something i'll probably use...

turbopezz/samantha - good advice. i will probably do that if there is a second interview, but from the sounds of the interview i had today, there won't be a second one - if they want me, they'll give me an offer (i'm filling out an employment application/background check right now, so the very fact they gave it to me hopefully means good things!)

samantha - congrats on the new job, too, btw. :)

·
Registered
469 Posts
I would just tell your current job that you are looking for something better and will need to sporadicly take time off for interviews.
Let them know man. If you dont you suck. I manage an office of 8 internals and about 110 externals.

I would hate you if you didnt tell me.

SO do the right thing if you want to be a professional and respected..

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, so I've submitted everything now. They said they want someone immediately and would get back to me very quickly. So it's waiting time. And even though I only submitted my materials about 45 mintues ago (at 11am Pacific), I'm dying in anticipation and salivating at the position. To make matters worse, I left my cell phone at home so I have no idea if they called. But I'll go grab it during lunch. Though I highly doubt they've called. But still.. you know, I'm hoping...

Keep your fingers crossed for me, please!

Let them know man. If you dont you suck. I manage an office of 8 internals and about 110 externals.

I would hate you if you didnt tell me.

SO do the right thing if you want to be a professional and respected..
Turns - I so wish I could tell them. But I'm afraid of causing a rift between myself and my employer should I not get the job. I'd hate to be looked over for a promotion or project if I end up staying here because they think I'm not dedicated to my work. I do, however, plan on giving them as much notice as possible - to the point of turning in a resignation letter as soon as I receive an offer - from either place I'm interviewing. My local job market (specific to my industry) is pretty small, so although I feel as though I am well-qualified, I am not guaranteed a position elsewhere just because I'm looking.

·
Registered
244 Posts
dont tell your employer until your sure...

No matter how nice you try to be, it wont turn out well for you. If you know 100% that your leaving, then give your notice and leave on good terms... dont leave them with the bad taste in their mouth that you are playing with them.

Companies usually can deal with losing an employee to a better opportunity, but for some reason employers dont take it as well when they have the fore knowledge that they are providing a job to a person who is looking elsewhere...

It's one of those dont ask dont tell things...

·
Registered
469 Posts
Turns - I so wish I could tell them. But I'm afraid of causing a rift between myself and my employer should I not get the job. I'd hate to be looked over for a promotion or project if I end up staying here because they think I'm not dedicated to my work. I do, however, plan on giving them as much notice as possible - to the point of turning in a resignation letter as soon as I receive an offer - from either place I'm interviewing. My local job market (specific to my industry) is pretty small, so although I feel as though I am well-qualified, I am not guaranteed a position elsewhere just because I'm looking.[/quote]

I hear ya bro, some fucker did it to me and i want to break his legs now. So I am just bitter...

Good luck bro!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuudes (and dudettes too)..

look what the recruiter sent me last night!

Hi Roger-
Good news re [name of firm withheld]. They really liked you, and want to call me on Monday to discuss a possible offer. Let's talk early next week
god, i'm so excited. there's no actual offer yet, so i'm hesitant to tell people (or "real" people, i suppose) for fear of jinxing it. and i know they'll offer market rate, or close to it, so money is not an issue here.

but man.. now (and i know this isnt said often)... i CANT WAIT TIL MONDAY! :mrgreen:

once i get that offer in hand, i'll probably submit a resignation letter too.

i dont think i'm conveying the excitement in me right now.. but damn, people! wooooo! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

thx to all for the tidbits of advice and everything!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts