ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yeah, I knew from reading that after a few members installed ES (Energy Suspension) bushing kit, they reported the car will sit lower at the same ride hight before the bushing replacement. This is probably due to the free moving bushings.

Now my problem is that I've tried to raise the shock body up, the cups have like 3-5 spins before they come apart from the shock body. The rears are at a good height now, but the fronts I'm still tucking tire. It's nice and all but I'm really over the slammed phase. My neighborhood has monstrous speed bumps and my front bumper is taking a big hit everything I crossover them. I would like to install my OEM front lip that was pieced together (broken into two pieces) without worrying about break it into two pieces again. I've tried pre-loading and it helps but again, does not really raise the car up that much.

Not sure what my other options are but maybe buy some "spacers" for the front, forgot who made them but that can bring it up a little bit more. That or buy something that can go higher and sell the Stance coilovers.

Anybody have problems like me? :fp:

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
Flying miata makes spacers.

So you raised the height by the lower height adjusters, why not raise the collar on the spring? You can adjust height by both means as long as your suspension still has droop.

The only reason bushing will lower a car is because whoever tightened their bolts did it when the car was in the air and preloaded it. It shouldn't be a problem unless you or someone else messed up.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Flying miata makes spacers.

So you raised the height by the lower height adjusters, why not raise the collar on the spring? You can adjust height by both means as long as your suspension still has droop.

The only reason bushing will lower a car is because whoever tightened their bolts did it when the car was in the air and preloaded it. It shouldn't be a problem unless you or someone else messed up.
The spring collars have been adjusted, although Stance themselves said the coilover system is not designed to be preloaded, I still did it. The car just didn't seem right with the preload, I had to stiffen up the shock adjusters to keep the car at an equal or what felt like it while driving. I drive the car hard 50% of the time. Suspension has plenty of droop, too much but that's the price of the ES bushing kit I guess.

I don't think it matters much when tightening the car in the air or not because with the ES bushing, it tightens down on the metal sleeves that are inserted into the bushings. They are lubed to prevent any resistance in accordance to ES install instructions.

I guess the FM raiser it is or get some Megans and sell the Stance or whatever it is. Anymore input?

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
So you have preloaded the spring when the car is in the air? Not when sitting right? If you did it with the wheels on the ground it's not preloaded. Preloading would be when you add tension to the coilover at it's full length, not when it's carrying the cars weight. If you did actually preload it, then I guess you need spacers.

I know it's common place to think preloading is bad, but there is evidence to say otherwise given you don't go over board. I say give it a try as long as you don't crank it up to much.

That is odd you are tucking tire still.

The reason the ES bushing lower some cars is because the car had been preloaded on their stock rubber bushings at some point by tightening them with the car in the air. I wouldn't account for them to lower your car, they shouldn't, that is if your stock bushings were torqued properly.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am pretty aware about how coilovers work, it was preloaded with the wheels off the ground. Preload is just that, to put some tension on the springs prior to the car's full weight after being put back on the ground. The spacers seem reasonable, thank you for that suggestion on FM. Works great because it should lift the front up almost 1/2" according to them.

As for load on stock bushings, for most the preload would be taken off, even if tightened in the air when the car goes in for an alignment. The ES bushings simple are designed to have no load and freely moving with the metal sleeve and actual bushing from what I understand.

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
Okay, just wanted to make sure you were doing it right. Best of luck getting it sorted.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, fender ate up the tire tonight. FML! Looks like I'm forced to preload more till I get the risers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts