ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked this question on another forum. Thought I'd also see if anyone at CR has used the DIY stand alone VVT controller: http://www.diyautotune.com/vvtuner/index.htm to add VVT to a pre-2001 car? Today I found a low mileage 2005 long block to replace my ill 99 motor. Any first hand info would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
285 Posts
In the middle of doing a swap now with an 02 into a 94. Wish I would have kept my old wiring harness and used the VVT controller instead. I've only heard good things about it, especially because of how much easier it is to install instead of changing out the whole wiring harness and ecu like me :( Do it!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wish I would have kept my old wiring harness and used the VVT controller instead.
I was hoping to enjoy VVT torque without the harness change hassle. Thanks for the heads up! I'll be talking with the DIY guys and Emilio before I plunk down the money for the VVT motor and controller just to be sure it will work with the 99 PCM. My biggest concern is that 99's have a cam sensor on the intake and a crank sensor. I just want to verify the PCM can cope with seeing the intake cam timing changing all the time.

·
PIITB
395 Posts
I don't believe so. When thinking about a VTEC vs non VTEC engine in Honda's the head is different. So it might be possible for pre 01 block with a VVT head?

·
Registered
353 Posts
You might want to ask about VVT swap on m.net in Performance Driving area of the forum. A number of CSP people run VVT engines in older bodies, both NA and NB.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You might want to ask about VVT swap on m.net in Performance Driving area of the forum. A number of CSP people run VVT engines in older bodies, both NA and NB.
You are right about that. Miata.net has many guys with vast experience with that. I had no idea that there are so many options. I put the '99 on back burner for now. Currently loving my '08 with it's new Ohlins and Star Specs.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah, Ohlins. They probably cost more than my entire CSP car. But I'd love to have a set :)
I am no rich guy but I already think I should have ponied up for the Penske's. The Ohlins completely changed the car but I can see I'll be wanting the double adjustable...compression and rebound.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I'm not so sure I'd want double adjustables. I've been on single adjustables for 9 seasons (Tein HAs and now JIC Magic) and have my hands full thinking about setup as it is.

The guy who sold me JICs two years ago went to custom valved Penskies on his NB. This car is now local to me and I'll drive it for a run or two shortly. Will be interesting to see how they compare.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have been running a VVT motor in my '90 for about 6 months or so. I am using a VVTuner from DIYAUTOTUNE. I am also using a DIYPNP as well though. The VVTuner works great at getting the VVT to operate correctly. I have a dyno curve, one with VVT control (GREEN) and one without VVT control(BLUE) if anyone wants to check it out, just click on this link to my MSRUNS post. I tried to attach it to this post but it seems to be too large.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
My biggest concern is that 99's have a cam sensor on the intake and a crank sensor. I just want to verify the PCM can cope with seeing the intake cam timing changing all the time.

the VTTuner controller sends the ECU the correct singals back so it doesn't get confusesedededededed.

or you just run MS3x.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts